A4 on the Move

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

A4 on the Move

Post by 52D »

Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A4 on the Move

Post by richard »

Not sure about that attempt on the speed record bit!

There's also an item in the latest Railway Magazine with some more details. Both are being shipped out quickly in order to meet a deadline from the shipping company (who are shipping for free). Dwight will be the most difficult to extricate because it is on a track without a door. So it will be sideways jacking on to the adjacent track.

Both museums have connections to CN who will handle the shipment to Nova Scotia. Not sure if they are being united en route or at the docks in Newfoundland. Plenty of photo opportunities at both ports (they'll arrive in Liverpool)...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

Three things I would mention regarding that article.

A4 to do a record breaking run?
Well I have now seen this in print twice so I guess it must be true!!! :roll: Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen!

As far as I know they are not landing in Southampton, they are landing in Liverpool.

Quote "Transportation costs are being covered by the British Museum".
Well I wonder if the board of that august body in South Kensington realize they are on the hook for shipping old locomotives around the world? Someone really should tell them. :D More misinformation and fuel for the rumour mill.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy,
Ottawa.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

Hi Richard,
from what I know Dwight shouldn't be that difficult to move, Moveright International have a machine that will lift it a few inches then move it sideways. Originally it had been speculated that the end wall would have to come down!
Dwight will be moved to Montreal by CN rail first and then D of C, then they will both leave from Halifax, Nova Scotia. The ports at Halifax and Liverpool are both donating their services free, as is the road transport within the UK.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

We are in for a very interesting time with the two 'exiled' A4's paying a visit to there birthplace.

A question, will the two A4's be towed around North America ? to get to Newfoundland or will the be put on railway low loaders, knowing that the US and Canadian loading gauge is very generous (as in Aust, double stack containers are very common) if so that could make a very interesting load :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

Hi Mana, interesting times indeed.
They will be carried on heavy duty 8 axle flat cars like QTTX131052.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPict ... ?id=122613
...like these carrying chinese loco's.
They would not be allowed to be towed dead, even with all the rods off.

They are not going to Newfoundland though, they are going to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Newfoundland is an island in the Atlantic and the old train ferry doesn't run there any more. :D
They will be loaded onto a RO-RO vessel for the voyage.

Cheers,
Owd Sweedy.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry, I don't know why I said Newfoundland :? I knew it was Halifax, that will be a sight, with the A4's sitting atop of those wagons, which are very unusual to my eyes, but must have a pretty heavy loading, seeing that they had those Chinese 2-10-2's on-board.

Roll on the boat.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

owd sweedy wrote:...Quote "Transportation costs are being covered by the British Museum".
Well I wonder if the board of that august body in South Kensington realize they are on the hook for shipping old locomotives around the world? Someone really should tell them. :D More misinformation and fuel for the rumour mill.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy,
Ottawa.
Should anyone be prompted to tell the British Museum they would have more chance of success heading for Bloomsbury than South Ken.

Kudu
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

kudu wrote:
Should anyone be prompted to tell the British Museum they would have more chance of success heading for Bloomsbury than South Ken.

Kudu[/quote]

Yes of course Kudu, you are quire right.
I was an art student in London in the late 60's early 70's, and in my faded memory all the big London museums were in or around South Kensington.
I particularly liked the V & A, and the Science museum.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Rubbing hands in anticipation!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Marvellous, innit! Just got back from my daughter's in New Brunswick, two hours up the road from Halifax. Had I known these two beauties were going to be showing up in the Fax, I would have arranged for my holiday to have run a few weeks later.

A day late and a dollar short, story of my life. :cry:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

owd: Yes that was my understanding - the experts thought it was "no problem" even if it isn't the kind of thing a museum normally does.

"Museum of the American Railroad" down here in the Dallas area is in a similar move (well only to the next county, not the next continent!), and I'm not sure what they'd do without the pros! Their exhibits are all outside alas, but locos have to be moved, motion removed, etc. The Big Boy is in bad shape but they still intend to move it by rail. In fact, all but two locos are going by rail - both smaller steam engines (an 0-6-0 switcher and a small decapod) considered too old/fragile. My understanding is that the "dead train" movement will be on the old Frisco route that goes a mile from our house...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

Hi Richard, that museum move looks like a juicy photo opportunity. I had a quick peek at their web site and see they are moving the Big Boy last, just in case it doesn't like the sharp curves! I see they have a GG1 as well, a class of high speed electrics built from 1934, just prior to the LNER A4's, and there is one in the same museum as Dwight D Eisenhower at Green Bay, (to bring it back on topic, sort of).

Cheers,
Peter.