Leamside Line

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Leamside Line

Post by 52D »

Please read and comment, im struck dumb by what i read. What a waste. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l ... al_thefts/
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Leamside Line

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

It should be open. As should every closed line!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

It is Network Rail policy to lift mothballed lines to prevent metal theft. If they don't then they would have to replace everything anyway as it would all "walk" if they didn't. It should be reopened but on what timescale is anybodys guess. More likely that Nexus will extend the Metro over the top half from South Hylton over Victoria viaduct. But as with most things it comes down to money, The government can bleet all it wants about encouraging big infrastucture projects but as usual will not want to stump up any cash itself.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

The Leamside has now been closed for over 20 years, all signalling and cabling have gone along with various lengths of p way. What remains although mostly modern FB rail and concrete sleepers, must be in a state of decay. The route itself is now a jungle, at least Notwork Fail may clear some of this when they salvage what is left. Wiil it ever reopen? Do you really believe Notwork Fail and our wonderfully honest politicians?
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi 52A

Interested to see that you've found a way of using 'honest' and 'politicians' in the same sentence!!

:shock:
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Irony - I love it!!!

Meself I reckon that Notwork Fail have seen a source of quick cash. Moi? Cynical?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

They say it would need replacing anyway if the line were reopened, so what difference does it make if it's lifted now or in 20 years? If the line was that important strategically it would have been reopened by now!
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

Very disappointing news, but not entirely unexpected. I suspect that Durham County Council will be annoyed, they'd had high hopes of building an interchange with the Belmont Park And Ride site, more or less where Belmont Junction station used to be. Could've linked up with the Metro at South Hylton, gone to Washington, Newcastle and beyond.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

if travelling north on the a1to the left of the railway over bridge part of the track of about 30feet is hanging in mid air where the embankment has subsided
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

third-rail wrote:if travelling north on the a1to the left of the railway over bridge part of the track of about 30feet is hanging in mid air where the embankment has subsided
You mean this bit?

I've one or two more to put up - possibly on the other thread, later

Mark