1914 thornaby train crash

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

1914 thornaby train crash

Post by WOOTANG »

after seeing an olf friend he showed me a postcard of a P3 in the river tees after derailing and running down the embankment

long time ago i know but has anyone got details
a picture will be posted shortly
JRS - Jordans Railway Simulator
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 1914 thornaby train crash

Post by 65447 »

Nothing found in the Accidents section of the Railway Archive for any Thornaby location between 1900 and 1923...
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

The picture is in one of the 1914 editions of the 'North Eastern Railway Magazine', sold to the staff and is a fascinating insight into the company. The accompanying caption states;

"Mr FH Richardson, Booking Office, Stockton, sends us an interesting photograph which he took of the engine of a mineral train which, while travelling on the line from Bowesfield Junction to Tees Bridge ran into the buffer stop at the end of the over-run siding and, leaving the rails, was precipitated down the embankment along with seven wagons. At high tide the engine was submerged."

The date of the accident was 19th May 1914
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

If no injuries etc it would be quite likely to escape the attention of a formal enquiry.
Especially if it was within a yard.

I haven't seen any report on a tamper that had a similar experience at Tees yard in the 90s when it was shoved off the end of a siding into the river by a freight train being stabled in the wrong road.
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi Wootang

definitely interested in seeing the photo or postcard.

Reading the description & location of Tees Bridge, this was possibly one of the Pease & Partners locations for iron & steel manufacturing. The site would eventually provide slag for Tarslag, formed by both Pease & Partners at Stockton, and by Majors of Hull, who supplied the coal tar. Tarslag was reformed in 1923, with additional sites in the Wolverhampton area, and I think the Stockton operation continued in to the 1930s.

Pease & Partners owned significant coal mines, coke works and brickworks in the Crook area, and tookover various companies/mines in the Aire Valley, and down as far as Thorne near Doncaster. They also quarried limestone in Weardale, and ironstone near Loftus, North East Yorkshire. Their iron & steel locations included Tees Bridge, Tees Iron Works, Normanby Iron Works, and Skinningrove, plus other partnership deals.

Quite the entrepreneurial Quaker family of their time, and responsible for establishing Middlesbrough as a going concern, but perhaps I digress . . . ?

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks for the info GB i didnt realise how much industry the Pease family were involved with.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Here's the photo I took of the NER Magazine page, be interested in seeing a better quality image - looks like the chimney has come off? I can send a more higher resolution copy if anyone would like it

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Its in one of the Train in Trouble books too.
WOOTANG
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by WOOTANG »

rlangham
thats the one

anyone any ideas to how or why this happened
JRS - Jordans Railway Simulator
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

WOOTANG, i've posted the details third post down from the top

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Won a complete 1914 edition of the North Eastern Railway magazine on ebay today so will hopefully post a better copy of the image soon

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Still haven't got around to scanning it but there's a photo of this from a different viewpoint, more to the front of the engine so presumably taken from a boat on the river, in the Ken Hoole archive along with the photo i've already posted