Yorkshire Wolds Railway : Open Meeting - Steam into Action!

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ywrrp
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Yorkshire Wolds Railway : Open Meeting - Steam into Action!

Post by ywrrp »

The Yorkshire Wolds Railway's next open meeting is on Wednesday 26 September 2012 from 19.30 at the Driffield Showground Members Pavilion.

Work will soon start on building East Yorkshire’s very own heritage railway and we need your help!

We would like to encourage as many people as possible to join us for the evening to learn about our project and the exciting developments of the last few months.

There will also be a presentation of mostly unseen photographs

We would also encourage anyone who is wondering about volunteering in any way to come & see what it's all about!

Feel free to download the poster here, print it off, show your friends, and bring them along. http://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk ... mber-2012/

*****FREE CAR PARKING!*****
*****FREE ENTRY FOR ALL!*****

The Showground, Driffield, East Yorkshire, - Vehicular Access via the entrance near the Rugby Club Carpark

Sat Nav : YO25 9DW

http://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Yorkshire Wolds Railway : Open Meeting - Steam into Act

Post by 60800 »

Right..... so you're planning to build a railway less than 30 miles from the NYMR?

Apologies for being horrifcally synical about about this (different viewpoints need to voiced anyway for anything) but how its it going to work?

I struggle to see how you could draw enough people away from the NYMR and indeed the KWVR. The the problem here is that if you do draw people away from the NYMR, it could be disastrous to the NMYR with rising fuel costs etc.

I'm guessing the plans are being based on the success of the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway - the point there though is that there is nothing else for miles and miles, the closest heritage related thing being Barrow Hill.

It's always good to see a new railway being planned, but I fear the NYMR will severley hamper it's success....
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think LTC Rolt said the same thing when Pegler bought the Festiniog :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
ywrrp
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by ywrrp »

Blackout60800 wrote:Right..... so you're planning to build a railway less than 30 miles from the NYMR?

Apologies for being horrifcally synical about about this (different viewpoints need to voiced anyway for anything) but how its it going to work?

I struggle to see how you could draw enough people away from the NYMR and indeed the KWVR. The the problem here is that if you do draw people away from the NYMR, it could be disastrous to the NMYR with rising fuel costs etc.

I'm guessing the plans are being based on the success of the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway - the point there though is that there is nothing else for miles and miles, the closest heritage related thing being Barrow Hill.

It's always good to see a new railway being planned, but I fear the NYMR will severley hamper it's success....
Thanks for your comment. It is indeed always good to hear a different viewpoint, and it's important that we're challenged on what we're doing to make sure we're doing it correctly!

We do not intend to position ourselves as in competition with the NYMR or any other heritage railway. We don't believe that the heritage railway sector is a zero-sum game, where gains made in one place must mean losses in another, and indeed the history of the sector, with its continuing expansion and success, bears that out. The market is not saturated, and we don't believe that we are an "either / or" alternative to any existing railway.

Furthermore, our business case is built around adding to and benefiting from the existing and growing tourism offer specifically in the Yorkshire Wolds. Local authorities in this area have recently invested in a number of tourism initiatives, such as the new Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route and the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire website. The area has recently seen its national profile increased by the David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy. New artworks are being added to the Wolds Way National Trail, and the Wolds in general is excellent walking country. We are already working in close partnership with the Sledmere Estate, owners of Sledmere House, near our Visitor Centre site, and envisage operating joint events with them once we are up and running, to our mutual benefit. Our LEADER funding and our planning permission were both granted on the basis of applications backed up with a full, professional feasibility study.

The YWR, when operational, will be a very different railway to the NYMR. While there will of course be some overlap, our target audiences are largely different. The size and scope of the NYMR mean that it is a destination in its own right, with people travelling some distance specifically to visit it. While we hope that people will also travel specifically to visit us, our much smaller size will mean that, at least initially, our main target audience will not necessarily be people looking to visit a heritage railway in particular but those who are visiting the Wolds in general and who find us an interesting and conveniently located attraction to spend a few hours at while in the area. And who is to say that we might not attract day trippers from Hull, say, who have never thought of travelling as far as Pickering or elsewhere but who, having visited us, find they have caught the bug and go on to visit other heritage railways?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Weel then, it sounds like a brilliant project to me, and as always i'm glad to be proved wrong when it's with the right people :)

Now I know of the project i'll keenly keep track of it, and will do my best to visit when the railway is operational
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
ywrrp
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by ywrrp »

Blackout60800 wrote:Weel then, it sounds like a brilliant project to me, and as always i'm glad to be proved wrong when it's with the right people :)

Now I know of the project i'll keenly keep track of it, and will do my best to visit when the railway is operational
We look forward to welcoming you!
marksouthcoast
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by marksouthcoast »

I wish you well with your endevors, and please do keep us all informed on your progress.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I wish you well on this project.

wrt Blackout's comments, the same things were said about the East Lancs. Too close to the KWVR, NYMR and SVR to ever succeed but they did and are now arguably one of our premier preserved lines. They did it by hard work, perseverance and hard work.

This could be a huge go-er. It's a lovely area with great scenery and within striking distance of several major towns and cities, to say nothing of the tourist traffic that already goes through the area. It will, I believe, be unique in the area following the closure of the Derwent Valley Railway and, if you can make yourselves sufficiently "different" then you will succeed. This is how the Yorkshire Dales Railway has become what it is, despite having the KWVR only about 20 miles away.

Good on yer, and please, please keep us posted on developments.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

On November 19th The Yorkshire Wolds Railway is the title of a Talk at the NYMR York Area Group meeting.
All welcome.
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

If you are in the area I suggest you visit the picnic site about a mile from the village of Fimber on the scenic route to the coast
Just near the roundabout on the Malton to Wetwang road
There is a good display of the Wolds Railway details plus dozens of vintage motor cycles usually there most days
Most of all have a cuppa' and a slice of the apple pie from the little shop there, then you will have lived at last
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
ywrrp
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Yorkshire Wolds Railway : Next Open Meeting

Post by ywrrp »

The Yorkshire Wolds Railway - Next Meeting

The Yorkshire Wolds Railway next open meeting is this Thursday 21 March 2013 starting at 7:30pm at the Driffield Showground Members Pavilion. YO25 9DN

Work has now started on building East Yorkshire’s very own heritage railway - Find out more by attending our “questions and answers” evening

We would like to encourage as many people as possible to join us for the evening to learn about our project, how things are moving forward, and the many exciting developments of the last few months.

There will also be a presentation of mostly unseen historical photographs.

We would also encourage anyone who is wondering about volunteering in any way, be it fundraising, or helping on site to come & see what it’s all about!

If you would like to find out more about the project, please visit the Yorkshire Wolds Railway website or call 01377 338053

http://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/