Leamside

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Leamside

Post by 52H »

Hi all
I was on a bus going over Fencehouses level crossing,and they are lifting the track , i read it was going to happen,but it seems in a hurry. What a mistake.

52H
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Leamside

Post by PinzaC55 »

You don't expect sense in transport policy in this country do you? :roll:
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Apparently the Weardale Railway have bought 3 miles of Bullhead track from the Leamside. http://www.weardale-railway.org.uk/news_66.htm I thought the track was "life expired or were NR telling porkies?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

All depends on the standards you are working to.
BH rail suitable for Network use may need to be a minimum depth related to speed and weight of traffic.
The Weardale will have a speed of 25 max so rail approaching scrap size may be suitable to get things moving. You can always upgrade with better rail later.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The Weardale has regular heavy goods trains and judging by the site they are pretty busy with passenger trains. The Network Rail statements have implied that the track was useless which it clearly isn't.
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

The rails themselves have life left in them, hence the use by Weardale, etc.

NR have already said the whole track would need readying anyway to use any part of the Leamside line - I.e. rails relaid, reballasted, retamped, etc etc.

The press releases about the lifting of the rails talked about reducing metal thefts - presumably trying to prevent a repeat of what happened around Penshaw some years ago. They've also said they haven't ruled out reusing the route and they're not selling the land.

I don't see why there's so much consternation about lifting the track - better it be reused or recycled than stolen and sold to fund crime! Let's face it, Leamside isn't reopening any time soon, track or no!

Just my two pennerth.

Jon.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

a report in railway magazine states that the flat bottom rail is being tranfered to the border rail project to tweedbank. and i noticed today there appears to be heaps of ballast near the durham turn off.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Most of the single line that is left is long welded rail. Thats probably why its still there too difficult for the scrapies to pinch. There is still a bit of Bull Head at Pelaw Junction on the double track section. A lot of the flat bottom has had the chairs removed probably to replace broken ones elsewhere.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just found this document whilst Googling for something.
P44 might have a comment of interest.
The rest of the document refers to the whole of the ECML and potential development.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/uploadedFi ... 20East.pdf
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

As already noted, it would all have to be lifted anyway to allow the trackbed to be restored. I've got some 'interesting' shots taken earlier this year around the Durham area. Serious subsidence around the A1(M) bridge just north of Shincliffe and also at Broomside Junction, probably as a result of poor drainage and/or burrowing animals. I'll see if I can post one or two, but it'll not be for a few days.

I'm just pleased that the route itself is to be protected, awaiting an upturn in the economy & a suitable business case.

Mark
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

In some regards I feel that the "Powers that be" British Rail [as was when the line was mothballed] Railtrack and Network Rail, as they collectivally could/should have run a combined Civil Engineers/route learning/refresher/BT Police Q train [the Civil Engineers to keep an eye on the state of the line etc]. This train should have made at least 1 return trip at least once a month, on a different day & time in order to keep the itinerant scrapmen and other nair do wells on there toes. OK these days with the current set up there are several different operations, but that could have been taken into account where by they would provide a train and crew plus those route learning/refreshing at zero or nominal cost say £1, as it would be in everyones interest to have kept the route in order and train crews with up to date route knowledge.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

markindurham said

"I'm just pleased that the route itself is to be protected, awaiting an upturn in the economy & a suitable business case."

Such faith.

Just wait till they decide the bridges need major attention and it isn't viable. I bet 5 years. Then Sustrans will get in on the act.......
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Pinza

The pressure on the line through durham is already causing Network Rail to relook at the Leamside, although they are not yet ready to reopen it. I think in 5 years it will be NR surveyers, not Sustrans!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

We'll see.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

PinzaC55 wrote:markindurham said

"I'm just pleased that the route itself is to be protected, awaiting an upturn in the economy & a suitable business case."

Such faith.

Just wait till they decide the bridges need major attention and it isn't viable. I bet 5 years. Then Sustrans will get in on the act.......
Better to be hopeful than to simply give up, wouldn't you say? And as has been pointed out, questions are already being asked about the route.

Anyway, Sustrans aren't the 'flavour of the month' in many quarters these days - thank goodness :)

Mark