Leamside

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Leamside

Post by markindurham »

Not quite Leamside, but mentioned in this thread, I hear that the latest road-building wheeze, a by-pass to the north of Durham, is set to use Belmont Viaduct, in much the same way as Newton Cap Viaduct at Bishop Auckland has been adapted. However, there's outcry amongst the inhabitants of Newton Hall, as this road is interlinked with building houses, lots of them, adjacent to it, and they don't want to lose their view...

If it does go ahead, that would put the kybosh on restoring the Sunderland-Durham link. There is another possibility, of course, but even though the trackbed is mostly undeveloped, I can't see a resurrection of the Elvet line, even for Metro...

Mark
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

markindurham wrote:If it does go ahead, that would put the kybosh on restoring the Sunderland-Durham link. There is another possibility, of course, but even though the trackbed is mostly undeveloped, I can't see a resurrection of the Elvet line, even for Metro...
IIRC, Durham County Council's preferred solution was for the Leamside line to be reinstated with a new station on or near the site of the old Belmont Junction station (1844-1857), forming an interchange with the existing Park and Ride scheme. I don't think they were ever seriously considering reinstating the line between Leamside, over Belmont Viaduct, and Durham [North Road].

Sunderland could be reached by rebuilding the line between Penshaw Junction and South Hylton. Doesn't have to be electric, they could easily just terminate at the latter station and use DMUs. Looking at Google Earth, there's noting on the trackbed but footpaths.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Jades wrote:
markindurham wrote:If it does go ahead, that would put the kybosh on restoring the Sunderland-Durham link. There is another possibility, of course, but even though the trackbed is mostly undeveloped, I can't see a resurrection of the Elvet line, even for Metro...
IIRC, Durham County Council's preferred solution was for the Leamside line to be reinstated with a new station on or near the site of the old Belmont Junction station (1844-1857), forming an interchange with the existing Park and Ride scheme. I don't think they were ever seriously considering reinstating the line between Leamside, over Belmont Viaduct, and Durham [North Road].

Sunderland could be reached by rebuilding the line between Penshaw Junction and South Hylton. Doesn't have to be electric, they could easily just terminate at the latter station and use DMUs. Looking at Google Earth, there's noting on the trackbed but footpaths.
You're right about DCC & Belmont, but we were simply floating some ideas - one or two would simply 'right a wrong', as to me the Durham-Sunderland line was one which should never have been closed, judging by the traffic levels along the A690...

Mark
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I'm told that the ballast is being recovered from the route too. I'll hope to get a proper look along the line in a couple of weeks, after I get home.

Mark
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

Dad and I went through Leamside last weekend and the ballast is still there along with a somewhat ramshakle fence adjoining the road bridge.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Nice set of tracklifting photo's here http://www.flickr.com/photos/67570349@N ... 8367068459
lar1976
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by lar1976 »

A ridiculous waste of a line, especially when you think there's going to be a need to test the units which are due to take over from HSTs that are going to be built at Newton Aycliffe if I remember correctly?
Leamside81
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Leamside81 »

PinzaC55 wrote:Nice set of tracklifting photo's here http://www.flickr.com/photos/67570349@N ... 8367068459
Thanks for the publicity on my photos :)

I haven't heard anything about the ballast being removed, so not sure where that's come from?

As of March 2013, the vast majority the track south of Fence Houses has now been lifted, and just the trackbed and ballast remains, with some line left at Tursdale to Bowburn, but not much. The line removal work has also commenced North of Fence Houses, so no track remains there now either.

Aside from occasional Class 66's, there were even locos back on the Leamside line at Tursdale Junction in Feb 2013 -class 20s, 37 and a 47, to remove the sleepers via rail. Plenty of photos on Flickr if you search 'Tursdale/Leamside Line.'

I live right next to the line, and there has been plenty of NR activity on it - I'm perhaps more positive about it's reinstatement that people who don't live near it!

Network Rail actually haven't ruled out re-instating the route, and acknowledged that there is a serious bottleneck on the ECML between Ferryhill and Gateshead, which re-instating the Leamside would relieve. Therefore, a likely use for it would be sending freight locos up the line, maybe with single tracks and passing loops? Of course, we've heard this before, and talk is indeed cheap, so we'll believe it when we see it I guess?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The Leamside is ready for reopening http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/29238651/sizes :wink:
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Nice one, Pinza. Now for life to imitate art! 8)
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Thanks! Here's a 2MT passing Penshaw on the goods lines http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/29 ... sizes/1600
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Was the signalman ahead of his time?

Or is Penshaw a preserved line in the present day?

Full Orange in the 60's
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I knew somebody would spot that! He just dug orange clothing :lol:
However http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-visibility_clothing It is little known that a slightly earlier trial was conducted on the North Eastern Region.