NYMR GRant for Whitby Station Development

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: NYMR GRant for Whitby Station Development

Post by Danby Wiske »

There was a very brief report on the lunchtime BBC 'Look North' about the opening of the new platform. Hopefully there'll be more at 6.30...

Edit: Not a sausage on the evening news - v. disappointing...
Last edited by Danby Wiske on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

53C
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 53C »

Danby Wiske wrote:There was a very brief report on the lunchtime BBC 'Look North' about the opening of the new platform. Hopefully there'll be more at 6.30...

Edit: Not a sausage on the evening news - v. disappointing...

ITV Calander news at 6 pm today had a film report showing the first train, two loco's
double headed Black Five and the B 1.
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 60044 »

Here's some info the EVL and Sirius Potash Minining, taken from a post on the "Improving Whitby's Rail Links FB page. I've heard that improvements planned may include a loop at Sleights, but I'd have thought that to get the most benefit in improving the capacity of the line between Grosmont and Whitby they should be looking at upgrading the signalling on and off the NYMR and eliminating the ground frames at Grosmont and Whitby. I wonder if the plan also includes removing the spoil from digging the mineshaft & conveyor tunnel by rail. Good news for the EVL though.

TRAIN SERVICES

Payment to/Enforcement By: NYCCIssue/Concern:Impact on the A171 traffic flows during construction. Tourism impact.Employment accessibility.Scope:Provide or procure funds to establish a new train service to double the services (from the current four per day) between Middlesbrough to Whitby. To include the cost of such infrastructure upgrades on the rail line (signals and a potential passing loop) as are reasonably necessary to facilitate the additional four services without negatively impacting on the services of the North York Moors Railway.Payment Triggers:a) £500,000 per annum for 3 years (first payment 12 months after commencement of construction);b) If service is not self-sustaining after 3 years, an additional subsidy of up to £250,000. per annum for a period of 3 years.c) Cost of infrastructure work when done subject to a pre-identified cap.[/quote]
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

That looks like a good offer

What about a diversion at Battersby and a general line speed upgrade to try and generate competitive journey times. Certainly more efficient access and operations for the NYMR should be useful
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

The line from Whitby to Pickering was double track until closure by British Railways, but what about the section from Pickering to Rillington Junction? Some of it or all of it was single track. Does anyone know which?
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

Pickering to Rillington Junction was double track.
The single line section was Pickering New Bridge to Levisham. One of the tracks was removed in WW1
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

Thanks for that, Wavey, I got my original information from a 1950's one inch Ordinance Survey map which I no longer have. I knew some of the track must have been removed at some point as it seems inconceivable that they'd build a double track line all the way from York to Whitby, with only a short section being of single track