Demolition of NER Hexham Station Stables

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Demolition of NER Hexham Station Stables

Post by PinzaC55 »

I have received an email from Hexham Civic Society regarding the planned demolition of the NER stable block at Hexham station which I am unable to answer and I thought someone here might have an idea. "Curtilage" is the idea that an unlisted building should be protected because its demolition would have a negative impact on a Listed building (Hexham Station).

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1235195@N2 ... 2922794782
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Demolition of NER Hexham Station Stables

Post by Bryan »

Link requires registration on that site.
Note comes up that this page is private.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

I have seen the word "curtilage" used as in "within the curtilage of the station" and in these circumstances the assumption has been that all structures within the curtilage are listed if the station is listed even if they are not specifically included in the listing description.

Hope that helps a bit
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Bryan wrote:Link requires registration on that site.
Note comes up that this page is private.
Oh OK here is the email with the address removed
"Hi all.

I hope this post is ok - I need some help regarding your special expertise on stations.

As you may know, Northumberland County Council has given 'conservation area consent' to demolish the Stables building and signalman's bothy (perhaps lampman's hut?) at Hexham Station. This is despite the objections of their own conservation officer who objected to the demolitions.

Hexham Civic Society are considering applying to English Heritage to get the buildings Listed (NCC refuses to give a view on whether the buildings are already 'curtilage listed'). Can you supply any information on the history of either of these buildings that might support this application? The bothy is the small brick building with the chimney just north west of the Prosser Goods Shed (unlisted!). The stables is the red brick building to the south of the Goods Yard. Images are viewable on the HCS website or on Ernies photostream. Please drop me a line if you can help. Our email is"

The only opinion I could offer was that the stables must be very rare, at least as far as the NER goes? I can't think off another example. I doubt that the "bothy" merits preservation but the goods shed certainly does.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

What a shame... just looked them up, can't find a photo so far but this article says Beamish has been contacted, be nice if they could give them a home if there's no chance of them being spared from demolition at Hexham

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east ... -32880730/
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The scheme in all its naked ghastliness http://blog.transitiontynedale.org/2012 ... rwhelming/

Attached below image of the stables from Google Earth.
Attachments
Hexham Stable Block.jpg
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

cambois wrote:I have seen the word "curtilage" used as in "within the curtilage of the station" and in these circumstances the assumption has been that all structures within the curtilage are listed if the station is listed even if they are not specifically included in the listing description.

Hope that helps a bit
I used to be involved on the estate side of the Tyneside Metro and can confirm this understanding of the word used in relation to curtilege. Whitley Bay Station (1910) is a Grade II listed building and as is invariably the case a full architectural description of the building is included in the actual register.

What's not included in the description is the detatched stable block at the west end, however because it is considered as being included within the curtilege the protection afforded by listing is extended to it as well since it forms a part of the station as originally designed.

Exactly the same situation will apply at Hexham if the main station building is listed.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Caledonian wrote:
cambois wrote:I have seen the word "curtilage" used as in "within the curtilage of the station" and in these circumstances the assumption has been that all structures within the curtilage are listed if the station is listed even if they are not specifically included in the listing description.

Hope that helps a bit
I used to be involved on the estate side of the Tyneside Metro and can confirm this understanding of the word used in relation to curtilege. Whitley Bay Station (1910) is a Grade II listed building and as is invariably the case a full architectural description of the building is included in the actual register.

What's not included in the description is the detatched stable block at the west end, however because it is considered as being included within the curtilege the protection afforded by listing is extended to it as well since it forms a part of the station as originally designed.

Exactly the same situation will apply at Hexham if the main station building is listed.
I have forwarded your post to the Hexham Civic Society but it appears Northumberland County Council are unwilling to act and English Heritage take the view that since the Sunderland and York stables are listed, then that is enough. So it seems the Hexham stables are doomed and the Americanisation of Hexham takes a step forward.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Does anyone know of any reply from Beamish regarding them saving the stables?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

The scale and compact nature of Hexham will be different to Sunderland or York Loss of a good example of a largely intact small station ought to bother English Heritage. But looking t A History of North Eastern Architecture by Bill Fawcett I see they date from 1901 and where by Bell who also did York. This volume even says the Hexham stables are likely to fall victim of redevelopment and it is a 2005 publication.

Still worth working for - you never know!
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

It has been reported on BBC radio Newcastle today that Beamish Museum will be dismantling the stables for erection at their museum.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Will be or have? They were erecting a stable building when I was there in August although I don't recall (or it didn't say) where it had come from.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

jwealleans wrote:Will be or have? They were erecting a stable building when I was there in August although I don't recall (or it didn't say) where it had come from.
Will Be, the stable building they are erecting at present is a copy of another building. it's not a rebuild. there is talk of a stables building being built behind the Co-op building.
HexhamCivic Society
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by HexhamCivic Society »

Hi all,

Yes, the 1901 W Bell Stables are in the process of being dismantled for relocation to Beamish Museum. Will also be on Look North 20/09/13. Further info at: http://hexhamcivicsociety.wordpress.com/

Thanks for your help re our unsuccessful attempt to get the building listed but at least it will now live on in some form!

Best,

HCS
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

The article states one of the few NER stables left, any idea what the others are anybody? The stables at Whitley Bay still survive, which is the building next to the car park for starters.