Weardale Railway Announcement

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Weardale Railway Announcement

Post by Rlangham »

Press release from the Weardale Railway here;

http://www.weardale-railway.org.uk/WRCIC_03-13.htm

Main gist of it is that they won't be running heritage services, ie steam hauled passenger services, and will focus on the 'Polar Express', coal trains, and lunch/afternoon tea/evening dining services with a diesel locomotive and Mk 2 carriages
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Weardale Railway Announcement

Post by richard »

I think the "Polar Express" will backfire. Although popular this past Christmas, a lot of the passengers were disappointed with the lack of a steam engine "like in the movie/book". Hey, an S160 would do the trick or even a USA tank - and there are now quite a few S160s in the UK...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

I think they are also taking contract work, I am sure the new service coach from the A1SLT is heading there for testing, trials and mainline certification very soon

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

richard wrote:I think the "Polar Express" will backfire. Although popular this past Christmas, a lot of the passengers were disappointed with the lack of a steam engine "like in the movie/book". Hey, an S160 would do the trick or even a USA tank - and there are now quite a few S160s in the UK...
"Quite a few " , now try telling Hornby or better still Bachmann (for Farish) that !

mr B
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 60044 »

I think they are also taking contract work, I am sure the new service coach from the A1SLT is heading there for testing, trials and mainline certification very soon
That's interesting, I heard rumours it was to go to the NYMR, but Weardale is closer I suppose.