King's Cross Street Naming Competition

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

King's Cross Street Naming Competition

Post by 61070 »

Hello all,

Having an hour to spare in London yesterday afternoon I had a wander around the area north of King's Cross station, looking at what's old and what's new. On one of the boards describing the 'new look' King's Cross there was an invitation to the public to suggest ideas for the names of 10 streets. From the map provided it's clear that they will all be in places which were formerly the site of either the goods depot (some of whose buildings have been preserved) or 'Top Shed' (which is completely obliterated).

Perhaps there's an opportunity here to celebrate the real railway heritage of the area which planners etc. may have no meaningful connection with, and I thought that that there are many folk on this forum who have the in-depth experience of the places and the people of King's Cross to make some very appropriate nominations.

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/street-naming-competition

Streets 1, 2, 3 & 4 appear to be on the site of KX Top Shed. How about, for example, suggesting the names of KX-based locomotive crews associated with high profile trips on the ECML (e.g. Arthur Taylor [Avenue?] and Jack Luty [Square?] of the Silver Jubilee record run on 27 Sept 1935, as extensively discussed on this forum here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3127). Or the names of the GNR/LNER Loco Superintendents/CMEs whose locos were associated with Top Shed (though, personally, I'd be less in favour of this they are all already well celebrated elsewhere, eg through preserved locomotives, books etc.)? Or how about former nearby signal boxes (e.g. Goods & Mineral Way, Belle Isle Crescent)? As an 'outsider' to the area I begin to run out of ideas there, but there must be other themes...

Nominations can be submitted direct from the above page, though there doesn't appear to be a space for explaining their significance - which I think will be important (to 'educate' the planners!). If you download the form there's a space on it headed 'Why have you chosen these names?', although the form does have to be printed off, completed by hand and sent in by post. Closing date is 31st May 2013.
Last edited by 61070 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: King's Cross Steet Naming Competition

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

John,
What about Bill Hoole Steet or as I am sure you meant in your heading Street
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: King's Cross Street Naming Competition

Post by 61070 »

Suitably corrected - thanks for spotting that! ...and a very good suggestion too.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some LNER variants suggested and posted
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

'Ladykillers Street'. Doubt it'll happen!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

1.DELTIC STREET
2.CRAVENS ROW
3.BABY DELTIC END
4.BRUSH ROAD
5.PAXMAN GARDENS
6.ENGLISH ELECTRIC AVENUE
7.KESTREL WAY
8.DP2 MEWS
9.1 SHUNT DRIVE