Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway New book

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

penyghent
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway New book

Post by penyghent »

I have just finished my new book, The Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway, Volume One.

Volume One will explore the line from Chesterfield to Langwith Junction, then along the Beighton Branch to the Sheffield District Railway. It will also look at Tuxford and Langwith Junction Motive Power Depots, and a brief introduction to the original signalling of the line.
Soon also to be completed, Volume Two will cover the remaining section to Pyewipe Junction along with the Mansfield Railway connection. This end of the route was mostly intact until the 1980's, and some of it is still in use today, doing the job it was built for, the movement of coal albeit from the one remaining colliery at Thoresby, and as a Network Rail testing facility.

Volume One can be found by following this link http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4280589-the-la ... st-railway

Do please take a look and should you wish, purchase a copy :D

If anyone wishes a copy but is not able to order online, please PM me and I will arange to order one on your behalf, upon receipt of the correct renumeration including postage.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway New book

Post by 52D »

I will be taking both volumes for my collection its a line that fascinates me, never reaching two of the places mentioned in its title but never the less an interesting line.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Beechwood
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Beechwood »

Are locos and rolling stock being covered, please?
penyghent
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by penyghent »

The books are a photographic journey along the route(s) and are not an in depth warts and all history of the railway. However, there are photos of LD&ECR locos included and a look at Tuxford and Langwith Steam Depots. If space permits, Volume Two may have some rolling stock interest, if I can source the photos to show it and get some details. I am not a rolling stock expert so I would need help on that side.

By looking on the Blurb website you will be able to view Volume One and see if it is to your taste. http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4280589-the-la ... st-railway

Thanks for the interest anyone who purchases a copy. Volume Two will be uploaded as soon as it is completed.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

You will probably be aware that Lawson Little has already published a book about Langwith Junction and local routes, now out of print, and several articles in a continuing series about Langwith Junction shed have already appeared in the LNER Society Journal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Langwith-Juncti ... 0952617102
Beechwood
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Beechwood »

penyghent wrote:The books are a photographic journey along the route(s) and are not an in depth warts and all history of the railway. However, there are photos of LD&ECR locos included and a look at Tuxford and Langwith Steam Depots. If space permits, Volume Two may have some rolling stock interest, if I can source the photos to show it and get some details. I am not a rolling stock expert so I would need help on that side.
Thanks for the clarification. I am sure they will be worth reading with or without information on stock.
penyghent
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by penyghent »

65447 wrote:You will probably be aware that Lawson Little has already published a book about Langwith Junction and local routes, now out of print, and several articles in a continuing series about Langwith Junction shed have already appeared in the LNER Society Journal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Langwith-Juncti ... 0952617102
My first forays into producing a book about the LD&ECR began back in 1994 and when this book by Lawson was published in 1995, it put my plans on the back burner. Since that time, I have been in contact with Lawson and he loaned me most of his collection to copy. He has been a great help with the publication of my book, going as far as sending me the articles he has written for the LNER Socierty Journal and proof reading for me and I cannot thank him enough for his help. No doubt he will continue to help with Volume Two also. :D
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all (raining in Surrey)
The LDECR has always fascinated me as it never got to where it was going, it became a bit like an Alice in Wonderland story.
I think there were plans for a massive viaduct west of Chesterfield, which of course was never built.
The M1 tank is also an interesting subject as it was the only 0-6-4T to run one LNER until the Metropolitan Railway was absorbed.
Someone built a model (Morgan Gilbert?) on Rmweb a few years ago.
Earlswood Nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Someone built a model (Morgan Gilbert?) on Rmweb a few years ago.
It was Morgan and it's on here too.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Thanks JW for the information
Earlswood nob
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The Kitson version of the Lambton tanks is closely related to the LDECR locos.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

I have one-inch-to-the-mile maps of the area to the west of Buxton, and have drawn what would have been possible routes for the LD and ECR extension to Macclesfield. An interesting line, with some significant civil engineering challenges.

I have never come across any information to confirm the proposed route.

regards
Kimball