Progress on New Build G5 No. 1759

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Progress on New Build G5 No. 1759

Post by richard »

Thanks to Leigh Taylor of the Class G5 Locomotive Company, I had a tour of the G5 "kit of parts" during my recent visits to County Durham.

They have made a lot of progress, and the boiler is now complete (but untested). The bogie was completed a while ago, and in the last few weeks, the last of the driving wheels was cast. The driving wheels still require their tyres.

A number of parts such as the Westinghouse pump and injectors have been restored, but everything else is new.

Construction of the cab rear was in progress whilst we were there (welding behind the red light guard):

The cylinder blocks have been cast. The frames are currently upside down, but will be turned after the cylinder blocks have been attached - blocks will add a lot of front end strength.

I have some of these in my kit boxes!

The most expensive outstanding piece is the crank axle.

I did ask about push-pull gear, but they will not be fitting it. I did point out the existence of a clerestory autocoach at Embsay...

They are looking for donations and stock investments, and I understand that there will be a bond issue soon.
I assume this will be announced on the website when it is ready:

http://www.g5locomotiveltd.co.uk/

(images look washed out on my Firefox, but Internet Explorer shows them fine)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
S.A.C. Martin

Re: Progress on New Build G5 No. 1759

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

You lucky man Richard! Many thanks for sharing the experience with us.

The one thing I haven't wrapped my head round is the ex-LMS support coach they've built. Lovely - in fact, beautiful - bit of kit, and no doubt useful, but why that coach and not something closer in region to the locomotive being built?

I suppose, answering my own question, it was availability and economics, but as you say something suitable in terms of coaching stock to go with the G5 would be rather enticing.

All the same I think they're doing a grand job and look forward to the day when it's finished. Youngsters (can I still call myself that at 25?) are being spoiled with railway preservation for future years. All these wonderful new locomotives to look forward to.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thanks for that Richard, nothing small about locomotive parts, is there :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

I did ask about push-pull gear, but they will not be fitting it. I did point out the existence of a clerestory autocoach at Embsay...

I suspect that the 2 will be married at some point in the future! :)
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: The one thing I haven't wrapped my head round is the ex-LMS support coach they've built. Lovely - in fact, beautiful - bit of kit, and no doubt useful, but why that coach and not something closer in region to the locomotive being built?

I suppose, answering my own question, it was availability and economics, but as you say something suitable in terms of coaching stock to go with the G5 would be rather enticing.
I guess that the LMS coach is steel bodied with a view to running on the main line. A more typical NER example being timber bodied would need special dispensation for running.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Wavey wrote:
S.A.C. Martin wrote: The one thing I haven't wrapped my head round is the ex-LMS support coach they've built. Lovely - in fact, beautiful - bit of kit, and no doubt useful, but why that coach and not something closer in region to the locomotive being built?

I guess that the LMS coach is steel bodied with a view to running on the main line. A more typical NER example being timber bodied would need special dispensation for running.
That's a very fair point sir, well made.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes they do intend to be certified for Network Rail use, but at lower speeds. This is partly to simplify transfer moves - apparently road moves can easily damage the springs due to the unloading/off loading.

Before anyone asks, ECML 75mph running is not being engineered for!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Wavey wrote:

Is it an all steel body? I have feeling that they are pretty rare, since my visits to Rowsley last year.

Sawdust.
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 60044 »

I think it is probably wooden framed, steel panelled, which will make registering it for the main line more of a challenge, although not impossible nowadays. I guess the reason they didn't opt for something more in keeping is that there probably wasn't anything suitable available - the autocoach was already spoken for!
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Wonderful, a fantastic project and definitely a significant missing loco from the NER in preservation. Be nice to see that and the J21 together...
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

August mail shot / newsletter:
(website also has shares for sale at GBP100/each)
Hello all G5 Friends, Sponsors and Shareholders, August 2013

As we are reaching the final stages of constructing our fabulous G5, we would like to keep you up-to-date with progress of the build, G5 events and the myriad of ways in which you can become involved, if you wish.

Progress of the build can be read on the G5 website, which can now be accessed by just typing http://www.G5loco.co.uk Information about events can also be found on the G5 website via links to our G5 Facebook page, Twitter and Flickr for an extensive range of photographs.

There are several more Open Days at the Rail Restorations North East when everyone is very welcome to come and see how much has been achieved, take photographs, have a coffee/tea and a chat with Derrick, the engineer.

The Open Days are the first Saturday of the month: 7th September; 5th October; 2nd November. We have invited the areas MPs ( Phil Wilson and Helen Goodman) to the 2nd November Open Day, so hopefully either or both of them will be able to come and see how locomotives are being built again in Shildon.

To promote the locomotive to the general public, several members of the G5 are also taking the G5 photograph exhibition stand and merchandise to ‘Railway Events’ around the North East. If you in the area pop in and say hello, it would be lovely to see you: 17-18 August at Aln Valley;

24-25 August at Railex, The Parks Sports Centre, North Shields;

7 -8 September at Tanfield Railway, Stanley;

21-22 September at Locomotion, Shildon;

5-6 October at the LNER Celebration weekend at North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

A small band of enthusiastic (but stretched!) volunteers man these events, but we are always happy for any new faces who would like to assist. If you think you would like to please make contact via this email.

There are new items of unique G5 merchandise which are available at our Open Days and on the G5 stand at the 2013 events. They include a newly designed fridge magnet, 2 fantastic mug designs, pencils and vintage LNER share certificates and A5/A4 locomotive collector’s cards.

Please see the attached advertisement for news about our exciting new share offer.

We hope to see you in 2013 at a RRNE Open Day, at the G5 stand at a ‘Railway Event’ or keep in contact through the G5 Facebook page.

Best Wishes,

Class G5 Locomotive Company
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks for the update Richard
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

A further update from Leigh Taylor, this time of a more technical nature:
Progress has been very good this year on the build, with approximately two-thirds of the locomotive now built. It has been funded by our expanding number of share holders, component sponsors and ‘Friends of the G5’.

We have had a good turnout at our monthly Open Days at Rail Restorations North East (held on the first Saturday of March through to November, 10am to 2pm) where visitors have been amazed at how much is on display and they can visualise how the mass of parts fit together. We have also been generating interest by taking our exhibition stand to several events at heritage railways and locations e.g. Aln Valley and Locomotion, Shildon. The general public have been keen to support us and buy our unique G5 Locomotive mugs, pencils, badges, fridge magnets and pens.

As we are nearing the end of Summer though, we have now got some rather expensive elements that need a large injection of cash. To this end we have launched a new share offer with the minimum unit price now starting at £100, but if buy £500.00 currently qualify for 30% tax relief. When the funds are available the crank-axle forging will be able to go ahead; it is a very complicated component that needs to be forged as one and will cost in the region of £35,000. After that the next job on the list is to progress the main axle bearings.

As you know the build has been broken down in to distinct sections with each element – boiler, bogie, frame and wheels, cylinders and motion, cab and bunker- being tackled individually.

Our most recent progress is:

The 4 tyres are ready to be sent to Devon to be fitted to the driving wheels; these have been cast from our own patterns, machined and finished.

Both of the 2 cylinder blocks have been cast and need some final machining before they are fitted to the frame.

The leading axle is ready for fitting and the axle-boxes designing is underway. The main forged crank-axle has been designed and priced.

The cab, rear bunker and rear water tank are assembled and in the process of being made ready for fitting to the frames.

We have acquired the second injector for the back head.

The rest of the build completed:

Boiler is complete- We have, however, had to make some compromises to comply with modern regulations, such as the use of an all-welded boiler rather than the traditional riveted construction.

The bogie assembly is completed and fully painted in NER livery.

The main frame - stretchers are fitted and all the horn-blocks with their wedges have been machined and fitted.

The frames are now fully drilled and ready to accept all the necessary fittings.

The ‘Westinghouse’ pump has been fully reconditioned, also painted in N. E. R. livery & is ready for use.

Rail Restorations North East Ltd’, Hackworth Industrial Park, Shildon, County Durham [The old N.E.R Wagon Works] have been appointed as the main contractor for both the assembly and manufacture of our locomotive. We are working in close association with David Elliott, who has joined our design team as ‘Project Engineer’. With him on board we are building to ‘main-line’ standard, which has significantly increased the final build cost, but will maximise and help secure our income for the future. This build is using the original 1893 engineers drawings.

To complement the new share offer we have a ‘Construction Bond’ scheme in the “pipe line”. These will bonds will provide a high, fixed-rate of interest and are intended to bring the final completion date forward. The launch-date will be announced in due course.

We really appreciate the keen interest you have shown in our build and hope to see you again when you are over.
Please look us up on facebook- Class G5 locomotive company.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I was chatting to the guys at their stand at the Aln Valley Railway last weekend; very impressive progress.
I wonder if we can persuade them to build a D20 next?
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

60041 wrote:I was chatting to the guys at their stand at the Aln Valley Railway last weekend; very impressive progress.
I wonder if we can persuade them to build a D20 next?
I love the design of the D20, most beautiful 4-4-0 in my opinion. Very welcome if they did!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939