NYMR LNER Weekend

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

NYMR LNER Weekend

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I see that we have the welcome return of an LNER Weekend at the NYMR in October this year and despite sceptical remarks on the national preservation website about the event being too close in the calendar to the autumn gala and the wartime shindig (not to mention the Halloween codswallop), I think this is EXCELLENT news. As the NYMR is undoubtedly an LNER (former NER) line "through and through" I'd far rather spend my money on a trip to see LNER locos and stock at work, with smaller numbers of truly appreciative LNER fans in attendance, as opposed to seeing the line operated almost entirely by non-LNER locos (as has too often been the case for some time now) with heaving crowds in attendance.

I wonder if some of us might manage a meet-up?

I wonder if the NYMR has thought about the possibility of trying to attach some sort of LNER-only modelling event, and possibly inviting some of the historical societies to this weekend in order to increase the appeal?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: NYMR LNER Weekend

Post by Tom F »

Totally agree with you Graeme. I will certainly be going along. I was there several times hoping to photograph the B1.

Made me miss working up there as a loco cleaner.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

I may be able to get there, of course it depends on work commitments. I'm starting the full volunteer process at Grosmont this coming Saturday, so if all goes well and I can make it for that weekend then I'll see if I can be put on the roster
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

If they do get model societies in, how about you doing a bit of demoing Graeme? ;)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I wouldn't object, buy even if we assume that a modelling aspect to the event were desired, would the organisers want to dabble in anything beyond layouts, static displays, societies and a few suitable traders? I presume the key things would be the "pulling power" of any non-paying exhibitors and the willingness of traders to pay for space.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Don't they usually open summat up at the Pickering end for model railway events?
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Good luck trying to get rostered. I seem to remember from my time up at the Moors that everyone comes out of the woodwork for getting a ride out at Galas. Must admit, last week gave me a twinge of sadness standing on Grosmont platform that I don't volunteer any more...miss lighting 60007, but with my work and the cost in fuel I just can't do it.

Thankfully I've kept in touch with a couple of friends via facebook.
Tom Foster
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 60044 »

I would imagine that the Atkins Building at Pickering will be open and that there may be a chance to have a look at Thompson CK 18477 before the restoration process gets under way - also, hopefully, the chance to ride in newly restored Thompson TK 1623 and Gresley BTK 3669. Repaired Gresley BTO 43567 should be making a welcome return too.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: I wonder if the NYMR has thought about the possibility of trying to attach some sort of LNER-only modelling event, and possibly inviting some of the historical societies to this weekend in order to increase the appeal?
I don't know if anything is planned for the learning centre that weekend. But you could give the marketing department a call and see if they would be interested for that or some future event (like the visit of the B12 next spring).

Whatever transpires come say hello, I'm sure most of the LNERCA members of the forum will be about, either on the station, on the teak set or in the aforementioned Atkin's Building.

Sawdust.

(Modelling in 12" to the foot)
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well said Graham and BTW nice icon.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
silverlink
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by silverlink »

Our Club are putting on a small model railway show in the education centre on platform 2 at Pickering station over the LNER w/e. I will be there with my layout 'Haymarket Cross' which whilst BR Eastern Region is full of ex LNER locos. There are other layouts there too but as yet to be confirmed.
Ian H
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Goodo, that settles it then ;) Haven't seen you chaps since Warley :(

To add further to the confusion of my weekends, it now looks like I'll be a semi-regular down at Coventry working on Avro Shackleton WR963 (a few hundred feet from the electric railway museum), which we aim to get flying
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

60800 wrote:Goodo, that settles it then ;) Haven't seen you chaps since Warley :(

To add further to the confusion of my weekends, it now looks like I'll be a semi-regular down at Coventry working on Avro Shackleton WR963 (a few hundred feet from the electric railway museum), which we aim to get flying
"Fifty thousand rivets flying in close formation"

I believe they used to sing something like:

"They say that the Shack is a jolly fine crate, of that there some doubt,
When you're in Korea with a Mig up your rear, there's only one way to get out.
Stay cool, keep sedate, don't let your British blood boil,
Keep nice and straight, shove them right to the gate
and smother the ba****d in oil."

To the tune of ?

:D

Regards,

Vernon
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

silverlink wrote:Our Club are putting on a small model railway show in the education centre on platform 2 at Pickering station over the LNER w/e. I will be there with my layout 'Haymarket Cross' which whilst BR Eastern Region is full of ex LNER locos. There are other layouts there too but as yet to be confirmed.
Ian H
Good, though it's a shame that's not yet mentioned in the publicity. Just over 24 hours ago I (it now seems) wasted my efforts in sending an e-mail for their marketing department to suggest a modelling exhibition or display!
Oh well, if asked I might be able to provide some static display cases of quite a variety of LNER models that you can't buy in the shop, in proper liveries. If I ever sort out the issue of "what decoder" I might even be able to let you borrow one or two items in the correct shade of green, with four-figure running numbers.......if you want them.

Did you notice that I'd asked you a further question following your recent comments on decoders in the modelling forum?

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

notascoobie wrote:
To the tune of ?

Vernon
When we crucified it, it was usually done to "the long and the short and the tall"

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk