Newcastle wooden Wagonway excavated

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Newcastle wooden Wagonway excavated

Post by 52D »

Okay im not suggesting that this is a genuine constituent of the LNER but it is in the area and people may be interested in its historical significance. Love the description and use of the loop. http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north- ... ld-5325105
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Newcastle wooden Wagonway excavated

Post by 2392 »

A similar wooden waggonway was "re-discovered" an number of years ago when the site of the former Lambton Coke works was cleared and redeveloped. In that instance it was decided to leave the wooden trackwork in situ but suitably protected. The coke works being along with the loco works at Philidelphia [one time home to 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley 1967{?}-1977] were the last surviving sections ofthe quite extensive Lambton, Hetton [as Hetton Colliery Railway] & Jociey Colleries system. Of which Nos 5 & 29on the NYMR are also part and I think one of the former South Wales 0-6-2 Taff Vale tanks too.....
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I wonder quite what the report means by 'standard gauge'?

My theory is that when George adopted 4'8" he was laying cast iron rails with a width of 2", this would mean that from the outside of one rail to the outside of the other would be 5'.
I have read (somewhere) that he added the additional 1/2" for clearance.

Obviously the inside of each rail is what matters, but perhaps a gauging tool set to the outside would be easier to use?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Old rails were 4" wide so the Track, i.e. the distance between the vertical centre line of the wheels, was 5 ft. Track is still the dimension used to specify the the width of wheels on road vehicles.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I recently visited Pompeii, where our (local) guide was at pains to tell us that the roads were built to take the chariots whose wheels were at a standard distance apart - 4' 8 1/2" - and mentioned that this was the reason why we have the railway gauge that we do, as this 'chariot gauge' was standard across the Roman Empire & will have influenced roads & subsequently waggonways in North-East England.

In fairness I have heard this theory stated elsewhere in the past too. Certainly it would make sense, although it still fails to explain why such a dimension was settled on in the first place.

Mark
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The old story that circulates frequently is that the width was decided by the width of a horse's rear end.
This dictated the draw shaft spacing, this meant the wheels had to go on the outside of the shafts at that distance.
However I suppose it all depended on what horse you had.
A Shetland might not be the same size as a Shire would it.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The thing is, early waggonways in the north east (where 4ft 8.5in started as a rail gauge) were not originally 4ft 8.5 in! The change in gauge is from the early (George) Stephenson era. This poses a problem for the horse theory, doesn't it?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

All depends on the size of your horse.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

From today's Journal:
Part of a newly-discovered historic Tyneside wooden railway – hailed as being of international importance – is to be saved.

A 25m (82ft) stretch of the 1790s’ waggonway was unearthed weeks ago by archaeologists Alan Williams and Richard Carlton at the former Neptune shipyard in Walker, Newcastle, which is due for redevelopment by Shepherd Offshore.

The superbly-preserved track, which carried coal from collieries to the Tyne for shipment, is the earliest and only surviving example of the standard gauge railway which spread across the world.

Now Tyne Wear Archives and Museums (TWAM) is lifting an section of the railway after winning an emergency £9,000 grant from the Prism fund of Arts Council England.

This gives awards to museums to collect and conserve important industrial and scientific artefacts.
The section of rails and sleepers will be stored in environmentally-controlled conditions at the Stephenson Railway Museum in North Tyneside.

That will allow TWAM to seek funds for the sophisticated treatment needed to preserve the timber and eventually display the track in one of its museums. Newcastle historian Les Turnbull, author of a book published earlier this year on the North East’s waggonways, said: “This is really exciting and I am overjoyed that some of the railway will be preserved.

“It was part of a major main line in the late 18th century which probably carried a ‘train’ of horse and coal-filled cart every minute.

“It would have been a disaster if the railway had been lost.

“This is the railway which gave the standard gauge to the world and its loss would have been an international tragedy.

“The railways are the greatest gift the North East has given to the world.

“The part played by The Journal has been immeasurable in creating awareness about this find and getting people thinking about what could be done.”

Alan Williams said that taking the stretch apart and rebuilding it will give vital information on how the original was constructed.

It has already been discovered that planking from boats – probably colliers – was recycled for use as sleepers for the railway.

He said: “The Journal’s role in helping to save part of this railway has been crucial.”

John Clayson, keeper of science and industry at TWAM, said: “This amazing find was an unrepeatable opportunity to preserve the early remains of what became one of Tyneside’s most significant contributions to trade and communication worldwide – the standard gauge railway.

“Recognising how vital Shepherd Offshore’s redevelopment of the Neptune Shipyard is for bringing jobs to Tyneside, we knew we had to move very quickly to avoid delaying their plans.

“Recovering the wooden rails and sleepers is a race against time.

“A covering of coal waste had protected them from the atmosphere for more than 200 years.

“As soon as it was removed the timber began to dry out and deteriorate.

“Shepherd Offshore and the site contractors, O’Brien’s have been marvellous because they have carefully preserved the excavated site to give us the chance to mobilise our rescue project.

“Following treatment and stabilisation we hope that part of the waggonway will be reconstructed for display in one of Tyneside’s museums, where we are sure it will be a fascinating exhibit that will bring the region’s early railway heritage to life.

“It’s amazing to think that this reminder of Tyneside’s prosperity in the 18th century has been brought to light by a 21st century development which will bring jobs in the latest wind and wave technology to our area.“
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I hear that efforts to preserve what's recovered will involve keeping the timbers wet at first. The method which has been utilised to save the timbers of the 'Mary Rose' is very likely, I suspect. A very long process, but it did work. Good luck to them though - what a wonderful find.

Mark
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Do they do twains as well as twams?

auldweekie
StoneRoad
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by StoneRoad »

I'm glad to hear that TWAM got their "emergency" PRISM grant.
At least some of the waggonway will be saved and then displayed (eventually).

I suspect that the same preservation method as per the "Vasa" and "Mary Rose" will be used. As the timbers are smaller section I expect the timescale will be a little shorter than for the two warships.
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?