A1SLT & P2SLC updates

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

A1SLT & P2SLC updates

Post by Mercator II »

This coming Saturday (21st) is the AGM for the A1SLT and it will the biggest day new wise as Chairman Mark Allatt will be formally announcing the launch of the P2 project

A new company has been founded in order to comply with funding & bonds rules that will make it a stand alone sister company to the A1SLT, The P2 Steam Locomotive Company (P2SLC)

The time table is still to be finalised, it shouldn't take the 18 yeras that Tornado because of the wealth of experience gained building Tornado, and the commonality of parts, although they look toatally different, the new loco nos 2007 will be 70% the same as Tornado, the tender, boiler, roller barrings, brakes & electrical system all inter-changeable, so it will come down to funding, something that the Trust is good at

The new P2 will be the seventh member of the class in the same way Tornado is the next in line in the A1's, it will have the look of the first built P2 but with alot more extra's 'hidden' under the skin

Unfortunately I can not make the AGM as I am too busy at work that weekend, but I will be at Barrow Hill the following weekend for 'Barrow Hill Live' on the rusts stand, so I will be ready to load as mush info into my head as I can, and will share that with you good chaps here

So who thinks that a tie up with Hornby is coming?

Happy Days

oOo

Brian
Last edited by Mercator II on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A1SLT update, anyone fancy a P2

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That will be wonderful news, I'm glad that it will be built in under 18 years, as it is doubtful I'd live that long :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

That will be wonderful news, I'm glad that it will be built in under 18 years, as it is doubtful I'd live that long :lol:

manna
Well you will just have to try manna!!

Personally, I think the aim will be have it done in five years as thats when Tornado will be out of ticket and they will want a loco in revenue earning service, if money can be obtained of course

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Waiting on the covenator's forms - who wouldn't want to get in on the ground floor of this locomotive?

Looking forward to getting the news in the post.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

This is very good news indeed, I look forward to the updates when the build begins in earnest, I'm also happy to see that the design ( externally) will be following Gresley's early layout. I know far more about Gresley's A1's than his P2 but look forward to learning more about this great locomotive by following this new build.
I take my hat off to everyone involved.. well done guys..:)

Pete
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Certainly be a "most interesting" machine in it's original form. After all there can be few who remember the P2s' in their 2-8-2 condition from pre-war. Rather than the somewhat [to many] ungainly Thompson rebuilt 4-6-2 Pacific form post war. Wonder what it'll be called........ Spmething Scottish as with the previous 6 members of the clas.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I may have suggested this before, but as the loco is 2007, and in order to attract media and public interest, then there is nothing more evocative than "James Bond".

According to Wikipedia (C):

"Sean Connery's depiction of Bond affected Fleming's interpretation of the character, to give Bond both a sense of humour and Scottish antecedents that were not present in the previous stories. In a fictional obituary, purportedly published in The Times, Bond's parents were given as Andrew Bond, from the village of Glencoe, Scotland, and Monique Delacroix, from the canton of Vaud, Switzerland"

There is a Scottish connection in many people's minds, not least of course from the last film where 007 returns to Skyfall in Scotland for the final showdown.

The name "Tornado" has proved very emotive and a great success. It was chosen to mark the courage of the pilots in the Gulf War so it did not follow the original naming criteria. There is no reason to suspect the A1 Trust will not be original again.

I have no doubt that "James Bond" would attract huge attention from enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very good news.

For name speculation, don't forget there's already a thread called something like "so what shall we call the new P2".

I wonder if some of the well-heeled railway enthusiasts such as messrs Daltry, Stewart and Waterman might be willing to give the project a financial flying start?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Considering Waterman's comments about the A1SLT in the past, I doubt he'd be interested, and the project would probably be better off without him.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Cant see the name 'James Bond' been used, just my opinion but as its a registed trade mark and copy righted in both name and '007' it would cost in form of a licience, which in turn would then cost with any models, merchandising etc..

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Mercator II wrote:Cant see the name 'James Bond' been used, just my opinion but as its a registed trade mark and copy righted in both name and '007' it would cost in form of a licience, which in turn would then cost with any models, merchandising etc..

oOo

Brian

I'm not so sure about that...I guess it depends on how EON are approached, at the end of the day EON are very supportive of all things British hence why they have fought hard to keep 007 in the UK even if it is mainly US money that pays for each production, plus Barbara Broccoli is IMHO a very approachable type of person. It's a case of you won't know unless you ask, the only possible stumbling block that I can see would be if Sony or is it Universal these days got involved as there have been many court battles between them over who owns what.

Pete
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Yes, good money that'd be better spent on the project rather than lining the pockets of lawyers for Sony and Universal.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

richard wrote:Considering Waterman's comments about the A1SLT in the past, I doubt he'd be interested, and the project would probably be better off without him.
It's a shame that someone so influential, and a force for good in many ways, can be so disparaging of a group that succeeded against all odds and proved that you can build a new mainline steam locomotive from scratch. His comments regarding Tornado whilst trying to promote the Patriot project in a recent interview were outrageous.

Cannot understand the aggression towards the A1 Trust for simply outsourcing the boiler to Germany. It was a necessary and sensible decision at the time, and it still stands to reason now too.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Mercator II wrote:Cant see the name 'James Bond' been used, just my opinion but as its a registed trade mark and copy righted in both name and '007' it would cost in form of a licience, which in turn would then cost with any models, merchandising etc..

oOo

Brian
Can you copyright a name? There must be many individuals named "James Bond" and they must be able to use their own name. "James Bond 007" would be another matter.

I think even "Harry Potter" has to be combined with some other wording or images associated with the books/films etc in order for anyone to be able to take action under the copyright.....but I could be wrong! :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It has never seemed to me that Mr W actually KNOWS anything properly about railways anyway (nor do I for that matter, yet I felt he knew even less judging by his remarks on TV) but he does have an interest and a lot of money. Hardly surprising to me to hear more evidence to suggest that he has parochial LMS attitude.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.