East Coast Giants of Steam - Barrow Hill 8/9th Feb 2014

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: East Coast Giants of Steam - Barrow Hill 8/9th Feb 2014

Post by Tom F »

Sadly the only photo I got was on my iphone, taken from the MPD looking towards the station, but it was somewhat rubbish so there is little point posting it.

Very enjoyable day operating, and meeting forum members.

Here's to 'Grantham', on a successful first outing, and heres to 'Grantham' at Grantham in 2015!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Gents,

I hope the cold and damp didn't get too much.

I enjoyed it from the outside. I have a couple of layout pics, but thought the forum may like the attached.

John
Attachments
DSC_6210 alt crop.jpg
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:Just home from an excellent day at Barrow Hill!

Great to meet up with friends, work colleagues, folks from my A1 Trust days as well as Graham, Graeme, Tom and Brian from this forum.

Very much enjoyed watching Grantham and the awesome locos and rolling stock. All the hard work involved in bringing it, setting up, running to the schedule, and taking it all down again, was very much worth it from a spectator point of view. Many thanks!

The sun obliged from time to time - glorious to see Bittern, Blue Peter, Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion of Canada, all looking stunning.

A really great LNER "fix"! :D
Spent a few hours at the Hill yesterday, really enjoyed looking at Grantham, spent a lot of time round the fiddle admiring all the stock and I was very impressed with Mr Wellans and Kings teak effect. The Howdens looked even better in the flesh so much that my brother has also added some to his list when Graeme is ready to produce the kit of parts. Watch the SJ set do a few laps, was a smooth runner although am remaining reserved on the choice of roof colour

Out side was okay, thankfully not as busy as feared, and was great to see DoC ring her bell and get a look at the plaque on the side of Bittern. On a personal point of view, I think the ticket price was too expensive, £13.50 when from next weekend you can see all six A4s for free and the only other new unscene attraction was the WIP Grantham layout

I hope that it was a success for all the right ressons for you all working on the layout, and a big thank you to Graham for building it and sharing it

It was great to catch up with some of you again, Graeme & Brian and to put faces to names of many others although not able to chat with you as I dare not break the intense concentration you all had, Graham, Roy, Paul, John, Tom I hope you all had a beer or two after

Looking forward to its next outing in the whole next year

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I enjoyed it, all things being equal. 2 A4s that I thought I would never see? Priceless.

Thanks, George (52D) for taking me there. Nice to see a couple of folks from on here but where, oh where was Graham hiding on Sunday?

Or had you heard I was coming? :wink:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Some pictures from Grantham's visit to the event, for the benefit of those unable to get there:

All set up, ready for the start of the event

The A4 line up in position at the south end of the layout

The crowds descend, scrutinising 3279's every move on Grantham MPD

What a splendid backdrop for the event. 2750 takes a turn as shedmaster.

Behind the scenes

Mallard does her 'stuff'.

The 35th A4 runs (4900 'Gannet' on the Southbound West Riding), overseen by Mr Wealleans and 4479 senior

Thanks to the afore-mentioned members of this forum for their help in making this possible.

If you have any photos of the event then please do share them with us.

The layout will now undergo a further period of development before the next public outing at next year's Grantham Rail Show (September 2015).
Last edited by LNER4479 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Hi all, a few photos from Friday; http://2509-silverlink.deviantart.com/g ... %2F02%2F14

A few from Saturday; http://2509-silverlink.deviantart.com/g ... %2F02%2F14

I'll get round to uploading more when time is available :)
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

An oddly enjoyable day. Good to see Grantham, and having missed York and unlikely to see Shildon, good to see the "tourists" too.

I hadn't seen Blue Peter in apple green before and its a grower though its still a very big shame that she's cold and static these days.

THanks ot the chaps manning the signal box for allowing access, though I'll pass on the fish fingers if thats ok :D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You did mean pAss on the fish fingers, didn't you?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

I had visited on Friday 7th as part of the UKRT from St Pancras. I have added photos to my Flickr site of both the stabled locos and a couple of Grantham being built. Really impressive, I have included some photos of the stock being run during the set up. I also have video of a few of the trial runs... Silver Jubilee, Coronation and a general service run..... will add these during the week to Youtube.

Pictures :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/8336963@N07/

Hope of interest

Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

60800 wrote:Hi all, a few photos from Friday; http://2509-silverlink.deviantart.com/g ... %2F02%2F14

A few from Saturday; http://2509-silverlink.deviantart.com/g ... %2F02%2F14

I'll get round to uploading more when time is available :)
I like the blue A4s by floodlight Joe.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

swhite01 wrote:I had visited on Friday 7th as part of the UKRT from St Pancras. I have added photos to my Flickr site of both the stabled locos and a couple of Grantham being built. Really impressive, I have included some photos of the stock being run during the set up. I also have video of a few of the trial runs... Silver Jubilee, Coronation and a general service run..... will add these during the week to Youtube.

Pictures :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/8336963@N07/

Hope of interest

Steve
Thanks Steve for loading these up. The close up of the coaches, the triplet in particular, are nice and will be greatly appreciated by Roy Mears (their builder). Quite a bit of effort went into getting that triplet ready for the event, this being a refurbishment of an existing model of a 1924 set to run - temporarily - in the 1938 Flying Scotsman set, pending completion of the 'proper' triplet for the set.

Look forward to seeing the video.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)