New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I cant help but feel there should be more of a push to get an A2 back in traffic. Is all lost with Blue Peter?
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

I just hope the 'founders' for this are given a bit more respect than they did with the A1
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

STAFFORDA4 wrote:I cant help but feel there should be more of a push to get an A2 back in traffic. Is all lost with Blue Peter?
I wouldn't say 'lost', but her owners are reported to have a very different idea of her value than the one thought of by other folk.

Shame, but ultimately it's their locomotive & they want the best price possible for her.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

There's a few on this thread who've expressed their dismay at the choice of 'Prince of Wales' as the name of new build LNER P2 2007. Well, there's two P2's being built, the other being a 'replca' of 2001 'Cock o' the North.' The names are fine by me, but they're the WRONG WAY ROUND. 'Prince of Wales' will have the W1 (Hush Hush) class front end, and 'Cock o' the North' a Silver Link A4 smoke box. It would make a lot more sense if 'Cock o' the North' was styled 'as built,' and 'Prince of Wales - the seventh locomotive of its class - was a continuation from the sixth locomotive and had the A4 smoke box

I hope the penny drops for those two groups and they swap nameplates
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

West_Stanley wrote:There's a few on this thread who've expressed their dismay at the choice of 'Prince of Wales' as the name of new build LNER P2 2007. Well, there's two P2's being built, the other being a 'replca' of 2001 'Cock o' the North.' The names are fine by me, but they're the WRONG WAY ROUND. 'Prince of Wales' will have the W1 (Hush Hush) class front end, and 'Cock o' the North' a Silver Link A4 smoke box. It would make a lot more sense if 'Cock o' the North' was styled 'as built,' and 'Prince of Wales - the seventh locomotive of its class - was a continuation from the sixth locomotive and had the A4 smoke box

I hope the penny drops for those two groups and they swap nameplates
Whilst I quite agree in principal. Bear in mind that both Cock O' the North and Earl Marischal had their front ends rebuilt in line with the rest of the class. Cock O' the North also having it's "poppet" gear replaced with the conventional Wealchart/Gresley conjegated valve gear. Personally speaking I'm glad both groups are producing the two original versions of the class, before the more drastic rebuild by Thompson during the War.
chiggers
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by chiggers »

Poor choice, me thinks and with an aircraft carrier to also be so named!!!!!
so safd chiggers
Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

The previous Prince of Wales was a very unlucky ship. Lets hope the ill-luck doesn't follow the name
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

Postman Prat wrote:The previous Prince of Wales was a very unlucky ship. Lets hope the ill-luck doesn't follow the name
With the weather we've been having recently, the P2 might be in danger of sinking...