New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: New P2 to be named 'Prince of Wales'

Post by drmditch »

I still think that 'Duke of Edinburgh' would have made an entirely appropriate name.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I don't think the Duke has expressed any interest in steam locomotives? The Prince has.

If we were rebuilding a replica ship I think it would be the other way around - the Duke has strong naval connections, but I don't think the Prince has gone beyond what is expected as a heir?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't think the Prince has gone beyond what is expected as a heir?
Other than attaining command rank in the Royal Navy? I'm no apologist for the Royals but I think he deserves a little more credit than your phrase suggests, Richard. Apologies if I've misinterpreted your meaning.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I was meaning the Duke of Edinburgh has much stronger naval connections and as far as I am aware demonstrated no interest in the railways - he would have been a more natural choice if we were building a ship rather than a locomotive.

I wasn't aware of Charles' naval career (I've just looked it up) -I had assumed his military ranks were primarily honorary (e.g. the Parachute Regiment) where he might have been 'game' but was disallowed due to being the direct heir (I know he did at least one jump with the Paras) - but it looks like he's a qualified pilot and served on a number of ships during the 1970s.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

A "qualified" pilot who crashed a plane and let someone else take the blame!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I had never considered "Prince of Wales" but think it will be a popular choice with the press and public at large. At the end of the day, it needs to be viable financially, and I can live with the break from tradition if it helps us see a P2 in all its glory for the first time in 75+ years.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

at least its a P2 with BIG deflectors , quite fitting for 'ol Big Ears :mrgreen:

mr B
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thane_of_Fife
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Thane_of_Fife »

As someone mentioned on another thread the 'Prince of Wales' name was already taken by exGCR D11/1 No. 2662. It wasn't withdrawn until August 1960
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I'm guessing Micky is being 'tongue in cheek' as we shouldn't forget an A3 carried the name throughout it's service... 60054.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

Let us hope that things don't sink into innuendo and double entendre:- "I've just had a ride on the Prince of Wales......"

Not as crass as it sounds. Gerry Fiennes was on record somewhere stating that the named train "The Fair Maid" was re-named for just that reason.

Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

A very shrewd move,publicity-wise.They have to go for the general public's attention(and money!)
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
IJhull
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by IJhull »

"Lord of the Isles" would have fitted perfectly with the Scot's historic and legendary naming scheme of the originals, and, is also a title held by the current HRH..

Perfect, now back behind the curtains.
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

I would have to agree with the last post from IJHull, 'Lord of the Isles' would have been a far more appropriate name given it's Scottish connections and the fact that it would be perpetuating a former LNER name.

However my personal feeling is that the money could have been far better spent on a locomotive or possibly two locomotives with far wider route availabilities. I can hear the chorus of disagreement ringing around the country, but that's my personal view. I would have to agree they were magnificent looking machines, and I feel that they could have achieved even more had they been used on more suitable routes, but I truly believe that this project is misguided.

For what it's worth and I know there wont be many, or indeed any, that agree with me, but I would have liked to have seen a traditional 0-6-0 goods tender engine being built instead. And my choice, a Hull & Barnsley B Class (LNER J23) 0-6-0, a real work horse.