'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' Launch

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' Launch

Post by Rlangham »

'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' will be having it's book launch at NRM Locomotion at Shildon's 'Cab-it' event on 18-19 January. As well as signed copies of the book for sale, there will also be a display of various WW1 and North Eastern Railway equipment, with North Eastern Railway M1 Class (later D17) 4-4-0 1621 of 1893 providing a splendid backdrop;

As part of the 'Cab-it' event there will be access to NER Snowplough No 12;

Also on display will be North Eastern Railway Electric (ES1) locomotive No 1;

C Class (later J21) 0-6-0 65033;

And other NER related items resident at NRM Locomotion;

Looking forward to a good weekend!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' Launc

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi

Good luck with the event, unfortunately won't be able to make it there due to other commitments - Do you know if there will be any copies on sale in York, perhaps at the NRM?

My Great Uncle was an NER cleaner that joined the ROD and went to France in 1916, and became a fireman over there. Took all of his qualifications on his return after the war, and became a Top Link driver out of Holgate Shed thereafter, not too far from the current NRM facility

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks Greedy Boards - as far as i'm aware the NRM should be stocking it, and others. Unfortunately i'm not privy to that information myself, although i've given contact details to the publishers. If anyone wants a signed copy, this will be one of the few chances to get one (or from the batch i'm sending to the Bolton Abbey Railway) as after i've sold my batch I won't be acquiring anymore as it's not profitable to stock my own
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

23 hours to go! Really looking forward to it. Car chock full of books, WW1 and NER items

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Hope the car is empty on the way home.
Cannot make it to Shildon as busy on the NYMR all weekend relaying track.
Just ordered my copy from Embsay last night.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

Can't make it I'm afraid but already in possession of a copy and enjoying it very much indeed. Splendid bit of work.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Rob was kind enough to sign my copy, which I took with me to Shildon on Saturday. It was a pleasure to meet him, & my wife's nephews were intrigued by some of the WW1 artifacts which were also on his stand!

Mark
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Bryan wrote:Hope the car is empty on the way home.
Cannot make it to Shildon as busy on the NYMR all weekend relaying track.
Just ordered my copy from Embsay last night.
Copy arrived this morning (Mon 20th)
Thanks Rob for writing it and Steven at Embsay for supplying.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Many thanks for the comments guys - had a superb weekend and great to meet those that came along, especially those that made the effort just for me! Getting to go inside the Snowplough was good too, will get the photos of inside it as soon as possible.

I'm also doing talks on the subject of the book so can sign peoples copies there, so far the dates are;

Saturday 8th February - West Yorkshire Western Front Association

Monday 10th February - Durham Western Front Association, Durham

Sunday 5th April - North Eastern Railway Association, York

Monday 21st April - Tyneside Western Front Association

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Rlangham wrote: Getting to go inside the Snowplough was good too, will get the photos of inside it as soon as possible.
You only need to ask and I can show you my snowplough.
NER 18 at the NYMR and the star of "Snowdrift at Bleath Ghyll"
Will admit though that 12 has had more work done inside than mine, still a work in progress.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Photos from the launch - will put a dedicated thread up to photos of Snowplough 12

The display

Close-up of an 18 pounder shrapnell shell - these were produced at the NER ran Darlington 'Shell Shop' at North Road Works - the two brass shell cases I had on display had been through the works for repair and reuse during the war

Photo of NER omnibusses/charabancs after conversion to lorries at York Carriage & Wagon Works for the War Department

Various items of soldiers equipment/clothing as would have been worn by the 17th (NER) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Original 1916 issue of the NER Magazine and a bound volume of the 1914 editions - I think the cover art for the magazines is absolutely fantastic

Did have the vague idea of doing this with every NER locomotive - failed at the first hurdle though by not doing it to the two others at Shildon!

Quayside electric locomotive No 1 of 1904 looking fantastic as ever

There was a laminated A4 sheet detailing information on how to donate to the LCLT project to restore the J21, appeared to be a new addition

GNR No 1 - I only managed a poor blurry shot, but the work on the tender is progressing well and doesn't look like it will be too long until they are united

NER Gateshead fire engine

cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Did anyone else see Jeremy Paxman tonight (Monday) talking to the lady from Hartlepool who was an eye witness to the bombardment? She was 7 at the time it happened?
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

cambois wrote:Did anyone else see Jeremy Paxman tonight (Monday) talking to the lady from Hartlepool who was an eye witness to the bombardment? She was 7 at the time it happened?
Yes - unfortunately she passed away not long after they filmed the interview. The programme ended with a dedication to her.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

A number of people yesterday (and over the past few months as a whole) have asked me how the book is doing - unfortunately, I don't know! From the coverage it's had since the release I think it's been doing very well, and have had very favourable comments. I was told on Friday that apparently it's on display in the front window at Waterstones in Newcastle, and have been told by two separate people that it is (or was!) on the first table as you walk through the door at Waterstones in Durham. Today I received this photo taken at the Waterstones Northallerton store, too!

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I'm doing my next talk on the NER in WW1 at Head of Steam, Darlington next Saturday at midday if anyone is interested. The talk is free after the price of admission to this excellent museum