NERA AGM 5th April 2014

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

NERA AGM 5th April 2014

Post by Rlangham »

Is anyone else attending the NERA AGM on 5th April? I'll be there doing the first talk of the day, on the NER in WW1 (surprise surprise!), be good to meet other LNERites there. Hopefully have an interesting range of photographs to illustrate the talk and as it's the first time I'll be speaking to a railway-orientated audience not WW1 I can get into more detail
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: NERA AGM 5th April 2014

Post by Tom F »

Rlangham wrote:Is anyone else attending the NERA AGM on 5th April? I'll be there doing the first talk of the day, on the NER in WW1 (surprise surprise!), be good to meet other LNERites there. Hopefully have an interesting range of photographs to illustrate the talk and as it's the first time I'll be speaking to a railway-orientated audience not WW1 I can get into more detail
I would have done, but i'm up at the Ormesby Hall at there model railway weekend demonstrating weathering.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Erm, I'm more of a sort of GNR chap so I won't be there. However I do remember a joint meeting of the NERA and the GNRS at Doncaster Grammar School which was absolutely excellent and included the opportunity of climbing up into the museum. What a brilliant day. we should do it again.

Regards,

Vernon
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I usually attend so should see you there.
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

where is it held
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

From the NERA website http://www.ner.org.uk/

Bar Convent, 17 Blossom Street start at 10.30am
The Bar Convent is about 5 minutes walk from York Station.
Out the front of the station, turn right and follow the road round to the Traffic lights, Blossom St / Micklegate Bar.
The Bar Convent is straight across the road. Small Cafe in the convent for lunches.

April 5th York
1000 - coffee available
1030 - Chairman's Introduction
1030 - Rob Langham - The North Eastern Railway in the
First World War
1215 - Mike Ellison - The NERA image archive
1245 - lunch break
1400 - Bill Fawcett - Building for railways, an overview of
the evolution of buildings and structures from the
birth of railways to the present day.
1600 - AGM - election of Chairman, Vice Chairman,
Secretary, Treasurer, one Committee Member, Hon
Life Members.
Nominations duly proposed and seconded to the
Secretary by Friday 21st March 2014.
1700 - Meeting closes
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Not been before, but will aim to be there, and hopefully purchase a copy of your book. I have a photograph of my Great Uncle who joined the NER as a cleaner before The Great War, and then arrived in France in 1916, as a member of the ROD in that most noble Corps of Royal Engineers, no bias, honest!

He returned after the War, and worked through as a fireman, and then locomotive driver, before being selected for Top Link work out of Holgate Shed, serving in both the LNER & British Railways.

I intend to find out one day as to which Sapper unit he served in, in 1916, as I believe that the first reinforcement units for the BEF in 1916 were limited, prior to the Volunteer units arriving thereafter. I understand that RE & ROD documents may be in short supply, due to bomb or fire damage during WWII, but will tackle that challenge when I have more time on my hands.

Look forward to seeing you there

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Greedy Boards
I assume you are aware of this website and thread header?
There are people on thee who regularly access war diaries and have detailed documents. Not just relevant to WW2 but some to WW1 as well.
http://ww2talk.com/forums/forum/78-royal-engineers/

Didn't you mention a while back that you might have been the driver of a green coloured tipper truck working for Auntie Betty?
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks Greedy Boards, look forward to seeing you there! May be worth trying the Great War Forum for help
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Currently sat on an East Coast trains service waiting to leave Kings Cross, been awake for over three hours... If someone can bring a stick with them to randomly poke me with a stick to keep me awake it would be appreciated!

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Good to meet several forum members yesterday - just a couple of shots, my biggest crowd yet!