Raven Pacific

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

roy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Raven Pacific

Post by roy »

I am intending to build an "As built " 4mm Raven Pacific.I have found all the "bits" needed except the vital chimney .Can anyone suggest a possible supplier?
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Raven Pacific

Post by tomburnham »

roy,
The chimney for the Raven Pacific was unique to that class of locomotive, being only 1' 0.25" from the base to the top of the capuchon and the only commercial product was the Raven Pacific kit produced by DJH, but no longer in production. The nearest in terms of size is the one used on the NER Class S3/LNER B16 which is two inches taller at 1' 2.25",including the capuchon, but shares the same width dimensions as the pacific chimney. Unless DJH have some left over castings, which they are usually reluctant to supply unless as replacements for damaged kit parts, you may have to accept a compromise.
Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

are drawings available...do you have a lathe Roy?...not a difficult job if done in the correct order but being so small may be a little time consuming, at least you'll have the correct shape?

Pete
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I'm in exactly the same boat with my A2 build. The closest I could come across was the B16 chimney that might be available from PDK. I havn't approached them about it yet as I think it would be a bit misserable to have them send nothing more than a chimey half way around the world. It would probably go down better with them if purchased as a spare in conjunction with another of their kits perhaps, that's my way of thinking, right or wrong. So I'm more likely to go down the home made path. If you happen to come across something suitable in the near future please keep us posted.

Cheers
Paul
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

The Isinglas drawing gives the dimensions. They are also in Ken Hoole's book "An Illustrated history of NER Locomotives".

ArthurK
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you can get a good whitemetal B16 chimney, or one in a softer material still rather than a brass one, it ought to be possible, with care, to lose the unwanted 2 scale inches from the height simply by selecting a suitable saw blade to cut through the waist of the chimney (after carefully marking front and rear centres on top and bottom of the chimney) prior to carefully re-uniting the two parts. You could do the same with brass but cutting it would be slightly harder work.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
roy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by roy »

Many thanks to those who replied to my query.I obviously have a problem!
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Roy...if you can find a decent drawing with dimensions (full size is best), send it to me when you're ready (PM me) and I'll turn one up for you. I would need the diameter of whatever you're using for the smokebox too, to ensure a good fit. No charge for a one-off... just trying to help. All problems can be solved sir...;)

Kind regards

Pete
roy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by roy »

to pete thankyou for your offer re chimney,this i I am most grateful and will be in touch about Feb/Mar assuming that all goes well !
Roy
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

A couple of pics from 1930 i have just obtained showing City of York at Tweedmouth Station & Houndwood Free Kirk between Co'burnspath and Grantshouse.
Attachments
2402 (2).jpg
2402a (2).jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

SEF are reintroducing the Nucast range of kits, which included the B16/2. SEF are very good and can supply the individual parts of the kits.
However, I don't think that the B16/2 has yet been reissued. It might be worth a call to Dave Ellis (of SEF) to see how it is coming along. As there are no RTR models of B16s, I guess it might be high on his list of kits to supply.

Earlswood nob