5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: 5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

Post by burnie »

Take it easy Pete, feet up for a bit is perhaps a good idea.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Indeed. Don't subject yourself to any stress.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Take care of the old ticker Peter, we would all like to see the results of your work, but more importantly
would like you to enjoy it for some time to come.

Keep up the good work, and I am sure it will eventually get better.

Paul
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks for the well wishes guys... I am taking it easy, can't do much else right now but I do feel the meds beginning to help a little.

I'm a 'glass is half full' type of guy so I'll keep going while I can...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

a big thank you to Craig at '360 Spin' for his superb work in spinning up the two outside cylinder covers for 4472. A perfect fit and they look superb, I couldn't ask for more...:)

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cylinde ... er-plates/

Pete
bucoops
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by bucoops »

Sorry to hear of your health woes. Take it easy, as much as we love following the progress, your health is far more important.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear that you are having health problems and hope that you get back into the workshop at some point.

In the meantime take it steady and use the time to heal and plan what you will do when you are better and able to do the physical stuff. Most important is don't rush it or you may set yourself back even further.

Take Care

Regards Rob
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks for the concerns gents, I am taking it as easy as I can but need to keep going for my own well-being, I also feel that time is now of the essence and thus will keep plodding on.
Anyway, I have been in the workshop this morning and happy that I was, ticking another nag in the back of my mind.... I haven't added this to the blog, it's just a general update for the rolling chassis. As posted on other forums...

Morning all.. I'm back in the workshop and trying to get on. One thing that has been in the back of my mind in recent months is how well the loco rolls, yes everything is tight and intentionally so but I was a little concerned by how much force I needed to put on the chassis to keep the wheels turning, you may recall my previous video a few months ago showing this. So to get back into the swing of things I did what I had been meaning to at the time and that was to place the boiler on the chassis and test again.
I have a picture and a video to share, the picture shows how much the rear of the model was being lifted at the rear, not so obvious when sitting on rails but very much so when sitting on the wheel flanges. The picture only shows the rear driver but in fact, both the rear and middle drivers were clear of the bench. Now to some extent I was aware of this as I had left the trailing axle springing at what I guessed might be right for when the model is finished, admittedly I hadn't realised it was going to be this bad once the 3 cylinders had been fitted at the front end?
I, therefore, today placed the boiler on the chassis and asked my good lady to help film, I must first explain my impressive weight gain, alas right now there's not much that I can do about it, any form of exercise is unwise and strictly advised against in my current state of health, Anyway, enough of my crap, the video hopefully shows that 4472 does roll very nicely thank you...🙂

https://i.imgur.com/7VECTgt.mp4

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Evening all... yes I have a proper update, I must be feeling better...🙂
this entry covers the fitting of those lovely spun stainless covers that 360spin spun for me. well those and some other important parts,

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/final-f ... nd-fitted/

Pete
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Looking good Pete
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Really enjoying seeing the updates. She looks lovely Pete. Hope the health issues get better.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks, chaps... I'm currently making a jig for setting the crossheads on the valve spindles.. so all being well, the next update should see the valves and their pretty arrowhead guides fitted. Valve setting won't happen yet, still have a number of motion parts to make. Unless something else catches my eye that is, I would really like to make a start on fabricating the ash pan and grate. There's also an event at my club in a few weeks which I may try to attend with the model, that will mean some finishing off some other parts to make her look presentable again, lots of paint needs addressing...:)

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Good evening everyone, tonight's blog entry shows the 2:1 gear temporarily assembled to the frames. Lot's more to do here and only a few of the securing nuts have been fitted but it's good to test fit these parts. Forgive the mess as things are getting very dusty and I have been using the macro lens, a bad idea...:). I am hoping to get the model to the club weekend after next for one of the regular annual meets which haven't been allowed since covid so for the next week I'm going to try and reassemble the model and spruce it up a little, trust me, it needs it.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/valves- ... ly-fitted/

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

good evening all.... as mentioned last week I'm hoping to put the model on static display at my club this coming weekend. to do this involves a fair bit of work in not only making the model more presentable but also the time in putting everything back together. As these stages will probably be of more interest than some of the other recent updates I'll post pictures as she comes back together. two for tonight, as can be seen the running boards are back and I have to say the new coat of paint is a massive improvement to last time. I have painted the splashers Doncaster green but alas won't be able to line them before the weekend. i was planning on attaching the brass trim which I'd do before the lining anyway as they give a good guide for the lining. Unfortunately, at the time of discovering that 4472 still had her brass trim in 1938, I ordered extra laser-cut trim without paying much attention to how the parts were to be assembled. The trim fits under the outer shell and thus is not wide enough to use for the brass trim fitted over the inner trim. No big deal, I'll sort this in due course. I have fitted the splashers anyway. Tomorrow I have a hundred or so 10 BA bolts to fit and various other parts, I'll also take a look at the boiler and temporarily fitting the smokebox to it, note the saddle has already been fitted. The lining on the valance is a little heavy, I shall deal with that another time once it's fully cured. I'll hopefully post more pictures tomorrow.

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very posh indeed.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.