N Gauge G5 0-4-4T Build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

N Gauge G5 0-4-4T Build

Post by Rlangham »

Decided to start the ex-Highfield Models (now BH Enterprises) North Eastern Railway G5 body kit today. VERY basic and simple, basically the body sides, front/back, cab front and back, roof, boiler, tank tops and a few small ancillary items - four buffers, chimney, dome, safety valve cover.

Chassis wise i'm going to use that from the Del Prado 1/160 Highland Railway 'Duke' class 4-4-0 with the gap between the wheels increased to fit N and the rear bogie wheel spacing set further apart to more closely resemble the G5.

To be finished in NER green - found today that Humbrol 116 'US Dark Green' makes a nice match as NER passenger green

Alongside an N gauge 1911 Daimler lorry
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: N Gauge G5 0-4-4T Build

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A good looking loco, the front splasher/sandbox is very wide, is that to help with adhesion, ie the amount of sand.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Actually looking at the images again it doesn't look quite as bad! I think the wide splashers are a kit inaccuracy, as mentioned it's very basic, the Stockton & Darlington 1001 'Long Boiler' class is worse, and i'm yet to figure out what half the parts are actually for - although chassis wise, this French loco also made by Del Prado could be fairly close;

http://www.diecastlovers.com/collectabl ... ais-31891/
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Would a Dapol M7 chassis work? I've got one that struggles to shift itself!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I was told it should do with metal carved away - I only want it as static as motive power will be from the J27, as well as J25 and D20 when I can afford them - may motorise an NER BO-BO freight locomotive too, some of the Kato chassis look suitable

icairns
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by icairns »

I have recently joined the LNER forum. I have been modelling in N Gauge since around 1967 and my current layout 'Ferryhill' (not associated with any real 'Ferryhill' locations) is a double track continuous run layout set in the north-east of England during the steam/green diesel transition era.

I have always been interested in the early history of British N gauge and I have been researching the models made by Peter Middleton and his company Highfield Models. My first N gauge models were the Minitrix J63 white-metal kit and the South Leicester P.O. wagon from Highfield Models.

Although I do have the BHE G5 kit, I decided that an easier route to a G5 was to modify a Dapol M7, which is what I did.

Unfortunately, the photos referenced in the original post of this thread do not show up on my computer for some reason (well, its been a while since the original post!). I would love to see the photos of the BHE LNER G5 loco made by Rlangham if they could be reposted.

I would also love to see any other photos of N gauge models associated with Highfield Models made by modellers that may be members of this forum (I realize that this may be a long shot).

Thank you.

Ian
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

I'm waiting for Dapol to bring out their revised M7 loco later this year. The chassis looks to be light years away from the original, promising significantly-improved haulage, better detail, better motor and pick-ups. NEM coupler pockets and DCC 'friendly'. Mind you, it would have been almost impossible NOT to improve the previous chassis!

I bought a 3D-printed Recreation21 G5 body from Shapeways some months ago which is dimensionally accurate. Whether that will be able to fit over the new M7 chassis goodness only knows, but I live in hope.
icairns
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by icairns »

I also bought a G5 body (Shapeways print) from recreation21. As you say, it is probably dimensionally accurate.

Unfortunately, I found the 3D print to be too narrow at the front splashers and it would not fit over the original (Mk 1) Dapol M7 chassis/wheels. I would be doubtful if it fill fit over the new, improved Dapol M7 chassis, but I live in hope!

Ian
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

Yes the G5 on Shapeways is, ironically, too accurate! The body is modelled exactly to scale, so the wider-than-scale N Gauge wheels won't fit. Perhaps the splashers could be widened/removed and remade without compromising the appearance too much?