Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another vintage goods engine.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Starting on the rear of the tender, where consequences would be least obvious if I messed it up, I tried out some lining yesterday, using HMRS straight lining and (thinking that I would not have enough HMRS corners for the whole job) some trimmed Modelmaster curves. The lining thicknesses from the two makers don't quite match, but as they meet at a mitred corner and the inset curves are very small pieces, that didn't turn out too badly. That encouraged me to do the boiler bands in the evening and the tender sides today, after finding to my delight that I had more HMRS corner pieces than I had initially thought. The joints in the lining will need some tidying up with paint and a 000 brush at a later point, and the whole job is far from complete because I haven't touched the tender cornices, the cab, the splashers and the frames yet, but I did decide to add the GNR letters to the tender. Having nothing specifically for the purpose, I've worked instead from the smallest insignia on the LNER sheet, substituting a modified nought for the elusive G.
I'm really not sure at the moment that my chosen Humbrol 195 is dark enough for the "Holly" green borders on the tender. I can still over-coat carefully with something darker if necessary.
STA71993s.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

This looks spectacular Graeme. If you hadn't mentioned about the G I wouldn't have noticed!
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Stunning!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Brilliant.............Stirling 0-4-4t next ? :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

That looks stunning already, even though its not finished Graeme.
Andrew
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Superb, looks really lovely Graeme :)
Chas
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Nice work Graeme, and the buffer bodies look good too :lol:

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks again to all. While I'd quite like to continue my digression so as to have an 0-4-4T, and O-4-2 tender loco, a 2-4-0 and a 2-2-2 to fill out the Stirling GNR stud, plus for that matter a couple of Sturrock's either as built or as re-built by Stirling, I don't think I could find the time to do all the necessary planning, scratch-building and application of liveries, on top of the sensible goal I've set myself of simply trying to build kits I already have and complete resin projects that I've had in mind for some time, which are all relevant to my main 1930s LNER theme - that's the more effective way to reach a point at which I can say that I have something like a complete and logical stud of locos, carriages and wagons.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I was going to ask if you'd gone all GNR on us.
The pre grouping livery certainly brings out a certain elegance, of even a humble 0-6-0.

Paul
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

It looks great Graeme, but I agree the holly green isn't dark enough. Here's what my GN tender looked like after adding the Phoenix Precision Holly Green.
IMG_E1746_1.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hmmm, yes, or at least maybe. Although my border green has taken on a darker, richer appearance under a coat of satin varnish, the (potentially misleading) on-screen images of both your tender and my digital shots of No1 under the anything-but-daylight of the NRM main hall do suggest that a colder, darker, bluer, less mossy tone might be called for. The colour on the NRM Locomotion single model isn't the same as mine, but is not so far removed from it as the previously mentioned on-screen images.
Of course, I could just step out into our back garden and compare with some real holly, although that is a variable colour anyway even if we only consider the top of the leaves.
Your frame brown may be more decidedly milk-chocolate than mine too which is more "plain chocolate with earthy hints". Groves mentions Van Dyke brown in one or two places in his book, although he may also mention chocolate brown. I'm glad I'm not building a single of any sort as he describes the frames of those being finished in "lake" at one time. What sort of lake are we meant to deduce I wonder?

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

To put the cat among the Pigeons, on the colour of 'Lake', I'll give yo the Aussie version............

manna
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.32 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I thought Australia was in the grip of so many climate change droughts that there was no such thing
as a lake down there!!!!!!!!

Don't forget that there were fewer colours back then, and rather like Ferrari red, tended to be
made up the following day from what had been left behind the night before, so it would have
varied. The only reference we have is either paintings by Hamilton Ellis, or the two books
that we know about offering livery details. Strangely I have both, but they are at the bottom
of my new storage tuit pile right now, but will look out for them both.

I have some pictures of No 1 from 2003, which might be helpful if you want Graeme?

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Paul, any evidence is welcome, whether helpful or confusing. I think I've just saved myself the job of lining the edges of the front buffer beam, a quick further look through pictures in Groves suggesting that these tended not to be lined until the early 1900s. The other side of the coin is that I perhaps ought to line around the spectacles...

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:55 pm Hmmm, yes, or at least maybe. Although my border green has taken on a darker, richer appearance under a coat of satin varnish, the (potentially misleading) on-screen images of both your tender and my digital shots of No1 under the anything-but-daylight of the NRM main hall do suggest that a colder, darker, bluer, less mossy tone might be called for. The colour on the NRM Locomotion single model isn't the same as mine, but is not so far removed from it as the previously mentioned on-screen images.
Of course, I could just step out into our back garden and compare with some real holly, although that is a variable colour anyway even if we only consider the top of the leaves.
Your frame brown may be more decidedly milk-chocolate than mine too which is more "plain chocolate with earthy hints". Groves mentions Van Dyke brown in one or two places his book, although he may also mention chocolate brown. I'm glad I'm not building a single of any sort as he describes the frames of those being finished in "lake" at one time. What sort of lake are we meant to deduce I wonder?
Yes, I think you are right about the frames. There's a decidedly chocolatey presence to them. Having started to add the red lining onto the frames and cartazzi, it is looking less obvious though. Both colours are the Phoenix Precision colours.

The dark green I am looking at on the model is definitely edging to the blue end of the green spectrum, I agree.