NER R5 coke wagons

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

NER R5 coke wagons

Post by Graeme Leary »

I'm trying to find some details on the numbers of R5 diagram slope sided coke wagons built by the NER, plus any other relevant detail.

I am after this info as I intend to see if one of the kit makers (I'd probably try Slaters first) would consider adding this to their range and this sort of info could be of interest.

Likewise any idea of NER/LNER modellers who could be interested in this wagon might give them an idea of potential sales. (I would probably get 5 or 6 myself).

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: NER R5 coke wagons

Post by Albert Hill »

Scale ?
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Graeme Leary wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:50 am I'm trying to find some details on the numbers of R5 diagram slope sided coke wagons built by the NER, plus any other relevant detail...

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Hi Graeme,
OO scale I presume from your other work.
I would try Chivers (if still operating) who are well known for odd productions.
And do not forget RTR which might actually be better business.
The likes of Dapol and Oxford Rail spring to mind.

I believe (can't remember why) those wagons were quite ubiquitous.
Kimball
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Yes Kimball, 00 correct.

Thanks for the suggestion will have a look at Chivers but the only (supposed) r-t-r NER Coke wagons I've found are the ones Hornby produced about 50 years ago. Incorr3ect as had 'straight'/vertical sides and the incorrect number of spaced planks above the butted together planks. I have 5 of the old Hornby but keen to get the correct diagram NER wagon, R5 I've been told.

Graeme
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

If you're asking how many there were, the book I have on NER freight stock states there were 533 R5 coke hoppers in service in 1922, dropping to 115 by December 1947, sadly I have no info on their numbers under BR ownership.
Moors Bound
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This has just appeared on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/smalllocoworks/

If you dont do Facebook, he doing 3D printed NER P4 Hoppers in 4 versions @£16 each. No idea as to the quality at the moment.

I would think you would have more chance of him or similar 3D prodiucer producing the NER Coke wagons ( I have never seen a photo of one).

Also here

I would not recomend Shapeways the prices are ludicorous !! No idea if he prints himself as well.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/pugsy-s ... QqEBGbz6Q8

Mick
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello everyone and welcome to 2022

I have cut down the Slaters P7 hopper to P6 by chopping the tops off the sides and ends.

I have also produced a P4 by chopping the sides and ends, then cutting/shortening the sides and floor.

AFAIK the R5 is a P4 with rails.

Earelswood nob
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Some years back a company called Chilton Ironworks produced a really fine scale whitemetal kit of the NER R5 Coke Wagon along with a few different Chaldron wagons and a NER 1001 long boiler loco.

These do come up on Ebay occasionally.

I was fortunate to get one of the 1001 loco’s and about 25 of the coke wagon kits which are slowly getting built. It might be worth trying to contact this company to see if they still have the masters, you should be able to get the contact details if they have not changed out of Model Railway Journal from a few years back as they advertised regularly in that publication.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I was in error!

The R5 has end brake (for NER central section, ie ex-S&D) and side doors.

Hope I haven't misled asnybody

Earlswoiod Nob