LNER D21 / NER R1 00 gauge Drawing

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: LNER D21 / NER R1 00 gauge Drawing

Post by SAD Burdett »

Thanks again Arthur,
Looking at the top elevation of the drawing the coal hole arrangement with wooden slats it now makes a lot more sense.
I had not considered the possibility of front opening lockers either as against the more common "treasure chests".

Sincere regards,
SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

I have a wide range of fittings for NER locos. The brass castings are listed in the PDF attached. I also have a lot of white metal castings including tender tool boxes (both styles), tank fillers and water domes. I also have a variety of loco castings, just ask, I may be able to help.
Brass Castings.pdf
(255.32 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
ArthurK
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Managed to get the rails fitted to the other side today and then bent them all round the back of the tender.
Soldered a bit of tube to a plate and then 5mins on the unimat we have a water filler.
D21 tend4.jpg
Have quite a lot of cleaning up to do but it is certainly losing it's "gemness".
Thanks to Arthur & Jon for the very useful info supplied which will make life much easier.

If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Proving that even a sow's ear can on occasion be turned into something better.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:58 am Proving that even a sow's ear can on occasion be turned into something better.
Thanks Graeme,,, I'm glad you mentioned how "iffy" the original tender was,, or I would have ploughed on regardless of it's shortcomings.
This saga reminds me of the exchanges we had when I was building the Alexander tender for my D9,, that turned out to need some serious tin bashing before it looked anything like acceptable,,, still I don't really have anything else to do,,, and an NER model has been an interesting change,, but the L1 is starting to feel a little neglected!!
A classic case of it's my railway and I'll do what I like,, or not in this case.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

SAD

Anything happended further on the D21 please ?

I have just acquired a wreck of a D21 needing a total rebuild, the Tender on mine is totally different from your one (what left of it) . I am thinking of using a Comet D49 chassis on mine .

Mick
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Mick,
A long overdue response to the conversation we were having on D21's.
To be honest I had forgotten I had started a separate topic for D21 everything else has gone on the Pastures WIP thread
Mine is very nearly finished,, apart from setting all the footplate heights after having the body off for final detailing.
I do like your paintjob,,, very nice,,, mine will be black and red lining,,, eventually!!!
A very interesting project although it has distracted me from getting on with the L1,,, the progress on that is on the WIP thread,, I've had a good week tinbashing again on the L1.
I suppose one of the dangers of buying "wrecks" is you never know what you are getting,,,, without a doubt the tender I received had very little to do with a D21,,, but it is a lot closer than it was,,, but I've spent more time on the tender than I did on the engine!!!
Assistance from yourself,, ArthurK and others much appreciated,, many thanks to all concerned

DSC00094.test.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for your help too !!
The D21 is a horrid old kit, bits of another one came up on Ebay, without a Tender last week. I was'nt tempted once was more than enough !
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Such a handsome engine.
A shame it wasn't as good as it might have been.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all from sunny Surrey

A very interesting thread. I have an old D21 that I bought in 1970 from Passmore models in Coulsdon. It was designed to fit a Triang L1 chassis, so has 10ft WB instead of 9ft6in.

The tender modifications are interesting as I've stripped it down and was thinking of attaching it to a Bachmann J39 to make one of the last J39s.

I shall now correct it, as outlined above.

Earlswood Nob
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Crickey EN your letting yourself in for some concentrated "FUN".
Believe me I know!!
The Bachmann J39 option is one which escaped me completely,,,, if I had tried doing it that way it would have been finished years ago!!!
But nowhere near as "entertaining".
I am convinced Mr Moriarty has a secret stash of old miss-matched Gem kits that he lets out into the Fleabay Market just to drive us all barmy!!!
I knew absolutely nothing about NER locomotives before starting on the D21,,,, and what I have learnt from this little excercise I will probably forget before I build another of Mr Worsdell's masterpieces.

Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I haven't come across D21s with J39 tenders. My understanding is that D21s inherited ex GNR tenders after their own 4125gal non-self trimming tenders had been reallocated to new build J39s.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The pic of the original kit and tender shows a different tender to the one with my D21 kit.

It looks more like a NBR tender as produced by GEM for the D29/30/34

My NER tender has four coal rails and a different front.

Upgrade is looking good.

Earlswood nob
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Your right EN,,, it certainly wasn't the correct tender,,, and earlier in the thread we had various suggestions as to it's origins.
It created a fair amount of work to convert it from whatever it was to something like it should have been.
Needless to say a lot of very experienced NER people suddenly popped up with all sorts of information and help to get me closer.
What was supposed to be a quick "lockdown" spruce and tidy up job turned into a bit of a marathon, and in the process I've got quite attached to it and decided to keep it as a visitor.

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I note from the 'Green Book' Part 3C that from April 1940 the J21s were given ex-GNR B type tenders.
When No.1241 had the indignity of being painted white and sent to Wales to be shot at by the RAF, the GNR tender was sent back to Doncaster and replaced by a 'worn-out' ex NE tender.

What a terrible fate for an engine!