Bachmann V2 release update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Bachmann V2 release update

Post by nzpaul »

Nice, very nice.

Paul

Edit: Don't you hate it when that happens, new page so you have to go back one to see what's so nice. :wink:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Dug out my Graeme King V2s (his resin body shells on a bachmann revised chassis) to look over and think on, and I have to be frank: Graeme’s bodyshell kits are by far better V2s. There’s many things about the new bachmann V2s I like but they just don’t capture the look of the real thing as well, in my eyes.

Just my opinion of course! I think Mike Trices V2 kit also captures the look better than the bachmann RTR.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

That maybe the case but with so many other projects to work on - enough until well beyond my time, this was a quick was to get a decent enough V2.

Andrew
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

RTR is always a compromise. For my purposes, primary interest operating to timetable, (would rather not have to run the loco carriage and wagon works, cannot be bothered with scenic treatment on the layout either) provided the mechanism offers competent performance on a full size train, and the exterior is unmistakably a representation of the prototype appearance, that'll do very well. This V2 has all that. Not that I don't enjoy the exquisite productions of others with a different focus, there's always something to learn...

It's a broad church. I understand there are some that above all want the box exterior to be perfect, and have no great interest in what is inside. Each to their own.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Pebbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:12 pm...All I will ask is where has all the fun of simple cheap modelling gone to?
Here?
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:54 pm... I think Mike Trice's V2 kit also captures the look...
I didn't know Mike Trice produced a V2 kit....
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Horsetan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:45 pm I didn't know Mike Trice produced a V2 kit....
They were developed during the first lockdown and never intended for circulation however events overtook me and a small batch were produced. They were a replacement 3d printed body for the initial Bachmann model (as I had a few) however it got modified to include the non split chassis rework.

The batch sold out very quickly.

Building one was covered in a Tony Wright article in BRM (sorry cannot remember which issue). Likewise with RMWeb having lost a lot of early images I cannot simply refer you to a page to have a look.

Found this image:
IMG_1731.JPG
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Interesting
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

MikeTrice wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:43 am ... They were a replacement 3d printed body for the initial Bachmann model (as I had a few) however it got modified to include the non split chassis rework...
I am impressed that the split chassis mechanisms still ran well enough to justify the effort of producing replacement bodies. Mine wore through the plating on the tyres, stub axles and chassis locations within about four years operation, by some distance the worst of Bachmann's old LNER group split chassis productions. (I kept the V2's going on much modified Bachmann 5MT mechanisms, with the V2 trucks, cylinders and valve gear hung on. Not very pretty at all, but the ECML has to have V2's running, on a one per pacific ratio...)
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Woodcock29 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:33 am I have just about finished the upgrade of my Bachmann V2 No 4791.

The last task was to fit Comet valve gear which vastly improves its looks in my view.
In summary, I have:
  • thinned the smokebox front
  • changed the loco-tender coupling to a hook on the teder and bar on the cab drag beam
  • reused the electrical plugs from the inards of the oversized Bachmann engine/tender coupling for tender pick up connection
  • removed virtually all the rivets off the upper surfaces of the footplate as they didn't appear to be there in LNER period
  • fitted Comet valve gear but reused the Bachmann return cranks - moved the cylinders back by 0.8mm, made the valve gear so that it is in forward gear and the valve rods actually move backwards and forwards with valve spindles in the valves
  • removed the circular plates off the centre of the cylinders which were not on the first batch of V2s - still need to replace some of the vertical rows of rivets I damaged! And add the red lining as I've painted the cylinders black after first overall at Doncaster
  • added heads to create the handrail knobs where the boiler side handrails are fitted to the front of the smokebox - simply by building up dobs of PVA glue on the bends
  • fitted the fully flanged Cartazzi wheels
I'm still contemplating whether I'll have a go at removing the heavy band on the front of the V of the cab and repainting it with V in the lining much lower down.
IMG_1466 ps s.jpg

Andrew
That looks most excellent Andrew, nicely done. I think the apple green on the front of the cab/boiler does need to be done though, it very much detracts from the other excellent work you have done.