Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by Dave »

They are looking very good Paul.
You only have a couple of weeks to finish the V4 loco for Mike, he will be back in NZ soon.
I will tell him on Tuesday when we meet that it will be finished.................
Enjoyed the chat tonight a lot covered.
nzpaul
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by nzpaul »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:15 pm Good to see progress and quality.

Even when using a couple of pre-curved layers, bonded together, thin plastic splasher tops seem to show an irritating tendency to go flat
You noticed that....bugger :oops: , quite right though, pre curved by pulling a long strip of plastic under the edge of a ruler then glued to the side and cut to size....still a bit flat. I'll have to try and hide them with lining trickery later on.
Dave wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:39 pm They are looking very good Paul.
You only have a couple of weeks to finish the V4 loco for Mike, he will be back in NZ soon.
I will tell him on Tuesday when we meet that it will be finished.................
Enjoyed the chat tonight a lot covered.
Thanks a lot Dave, I really appreciate your help in ensuring I'm only under a little bit of pressure. Can you let him know he can pick up his K2 at the same time......👍. Errr, maybe you shouldn't tell him that 😛

Paul
Last edited by nzpaul on Tue May 24, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

john coffin wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:31 pm At the risk of teaching you all to check your drawings properly, could I suggest Graeme that you think about following the prototype,
and add splasher end caps to withhold the item. In general, and certainly on the GNR, they were a piece of angle which was shaped
to fit on the footplate and then bent to the shape of the splasher top.

They are shown on many Isinglass drawings.

Paul
Yes, you're quite right Paul, I had noticed that in reality many locos had external iron/steel angles at the ends of the splashers, but I've omitted them from models. They are not particularly noticeable in many photographs. When studying the photograph showing lining on a black D7 it was noticeable that the splasher top lining finished at a higher level above the running plate than did the lining of the splasher faces, because the not-easily-seen angle irons were in the way. I did at least try to put the lining in right place, just as if the non-existent angle irons were actually there on the model...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by john coffin »

Thing is it is easy to forget that the engineers on the railways faced a similar problem in constraining flat sheets
of metal that had been beaten, or hand forced into a shape or place that was not natural.
To ensure that the constant heating and cooling of the loco in motion did not cause these pieces to fly off,
they restrained them. You are right Graeme, they are often missed, but if trying to ensure that plasticard
which is made flat can keep the new shape after creating, why not follow prototype practice.

Paul
nzpaul
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by nzpaul »

Work continues on the Edge V4, I wouldn't say at pace, but plodding along at a consistent rate. It's a complex wee beastie but I think the end result will be quite sharp. I'm almost sad that it will end up in BR black, but that's the required livery for the layout it's destined for and I'll take the utmost care to do a nice paint job. I've always though V2s look alright in lined black so maybe it'll look nice.
MV4_25.jpg
paul
nzpaul
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by nzpaul »

Bogie for the C11 done, so an Atlantic it is at last. In the spirit of keeping it as cheap as possible, the wheels are from the spares box, 13mm Hornby left over from an old B17 that has a new life as something else. The bogie frame is cut from 1.5mm brass and spacers made from .5mm brass sheet.
9881_5.jpg
9881_6.jpg
As 9881 Borderer, this one will be most appropriate for a Hawick inspired layout.

Paul