Station platform ends

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Station platform ends

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have an island station (tracks both sides) on my layout with access under the road alongside through a subway staircase.

There is no pedestrian/passenger access across the tracks so in a situation like this could the (island) platform ends be 'squared off' without an angled platform ramp? The era I am modelling is 1920s/30s but I cannot find any historic photos that might confirm this could be the case despite the more regular 'ramp' being the norm.

Many thanks.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Station platform ends

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Think you'll find every (almost) station had ramps each end, you had to have a way to get parcels + trolleys across the tracks.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I have a sketchy recollection of there being some sort of regulatory requirement for passenger platforms in the LNER period to have ramped ends for "safety". I wonder whether the reason was to do with the possibility (likelihood?) of people attempting to pursue / board trains that were already on the move? Either Spilsby or Horncastle (I can't remember which one, but both were minor branch termini) did however manage to get away with a square drop at the end of a platform, possibly because that part of the platform was conveniently regarded as being only for parcels / goods loading. Maybe there were too few passengers, and no cases of trains urgently departing in these minor locations for strict enforcement of such regulations to be considered vital?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Both Spilsby and Horncastle had ramps at the non terminal end of their platforms in the photos I've seen.
Andrew
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks for replies - taken into account finishing off the platform ends.

Graeme Leary
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's a "subtle" point, but on checking now I find that photographs in Alf Ludlam's Oakwood Press book on the Horncastle railway do show an unusual arrangement, with the northern (terminus) end of the platform descending a short flight of four steps. Obviously no trains arrived from, or departed in that direction, but this "hazard" was nonetheless still alongside the track which continued a little beyond that point. In the book it is commented that "In a sense this was illegal under Board of Trade regulations, but as this end of the terminus was classed as a goods area, the usual regulations regarding passenger facilities presumably did not apply".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Ah ha, another consideration. I might have to adopt modeller's license (d17JAS's 'Rule 1') and have similar steps at one end of the platform, however, this would be the end that terminating trains come into from the main part of the layout and then, after the loco has run around, departs from back to the main running tracks..

Probably not totally prototypical but 'needs must'.

Thanks again all.

Graeme Leary
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

You could look at Leamside on the NER 'old main line'.
.....here......

There are other pictures available in some of Ken Hoole's publications.