Ex-Ian Kirk LNER Coach Kits

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ex-Ian Kirk LNER Coach Kits

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can imagine how the lower sides could be pulled inwards near then ends, then re-fixed to the ends to hold them in place, but how are the areas near the middle of the side going to behave? I would worry that the lower edge would be very reluctant to turn under/inwards and to stay there. Isn't there a risk that unless anchored by some cross-bracing it would spring back out again, or that if it did pull inwards then the side would also be pulled inwards at waist level (unless waist level bracing were also added). Bracing pieces seem likely to prevent the re-fitting of the original interior, and lack of bracing suggests to me the probability that the side would end up bowed either along the bottom edge or along the waistline.

?????

I have a faint recollection that Larry Goddard described an elaborate method of splitting and then narrowing the floor, plus re-shaping the full length of the sides, but regarded this method as too time consuming to be repeated. I think he then switched to a simpler form of narrowing of the solebars, next cutting just the lower sides from the ends, pulling the ends bits of the lower sides inwards and then re-fixing them to the subtly re-shaped ends, admitting that this did not pull in the middle parts of the lower edges but claiming that the inevitable resultant distortion did not show. I'd have to see several examples in reality and not just in images in order to be convinced...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You beat me to it Mick. That link should reveal whether my memory was at all correct.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Shame a lot of the photos have disappeared!!.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Morning all
I have dug out a copy of a document I constructed, re Larry Goddards methods of improving the Hornby Gresleys.
I trust this is in order...
LNER Corridor Carriages Goddard.docx
(548.08 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Ah, that summary of Larry Goddard's method is exceedingly handy, don't need to work it out for myself as I go! There's an all 1st in crimson and cream on its way to experiment with; not the ideal vehicle for my purposes, so more of a sacrificial victim to see if I can make a worthwhile job of it...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

iainkirk wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:25 am Morning all
I have dug out a copy of a document I constructed, re Larry Goddards methods of improving the Hornby Gresleys.
I trust this is in order...LNER Corridor Carriages Goddard.docx
Excellent , the missing photos !! thanks.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

If I didn't have a bunch of Kirk kits already I think this method of putting brass sides on Hornby coaches would be what I would go for. As long as the coaches can be picked up at a reasonable price.

As I do have the Kirk kits I am definitely going to have a try of Mike's end pieces. Have printed a set (thank you Mike) and looks promising so far.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Phil Brighton wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:19 pm If I didn't have a bunch of Kirk kits already I think this method of putting brass sides on Hornby coaches would be what I would go for. As long as the coaches can be picked up at a reasonable price...
The recent release of Bachmann's newly tooled Thompson gangwayed stock in maroon will doubtless flush out some more of the old Bachmann Thompson coach models from the 1990s onwards. Other than the shorty composite these have the bogie centres correctly at scale spacing for 43 feet, and are robust and - to date - have proved stable however much they are carved about, and may typically be got cheaply.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Replacing with the newer coach might define your attitude on modelling? I don't know. I've started to buy Comet Thompson sides and fit them to the older Bmann coaches. You can see the change in glazing straight away. I expect I'll have an argument with myself over which maroon or crimson paint is better/correct, but I'll have to re-learn how to coach line and number properly. I've an old lining pen from about 50 years ago, I might see how I get on with that. Don't you think that you might get more fun out of doing it like that? I just ask because I was at an exhibition last weekend and saw very few kit built locos or stock, it has become all too easy, I look forward to the continuation of the Kirk kits, I wonder how much their Quad set will cost?
Charlie
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

The original Kirk end has had further work done on it. My poor attempt at filing in the top of the beading has been removed along with some of the end beading and replaced with 0.5mm styrene rod. The cornice has been added along the top curve as has the dimension plate and jumper cables.
20230619_084627.jpg
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Modelling going slow as I am preparing for house change.

I have been browsing the Phoenix site and they are marketing coach parts from the Kirk kits.

This is good news as it will be useful to get bits for "scratch" building vehicles.

Earlswood nob ( a signal box that was replaced when the Brighton line was increased to four around 1900)