Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. Now an A4 question

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The "A4" conversion has been studied and planned. Although there are parts of the project that I could take further on a trial or pilot-scheme basis, full implementation depends on me getting a clearer idea of further action promised by one one of the RTR manufacturers.
Am I playing my cards annoyingly close to my chest on this one?

I might be embarking on another clandestine project shortly too. I think I've spotted a "humble" loco that would be a very useful addition to Southern Area LNER loco fleets, that can be built using one of a number of available RTR or kit chassis, whose body outline is probably simple enough to permit resin reproduction in just two main chunks with just a few detailing components to attach, and which could potentially be adapted to model three other numerically smaller classes of loco besides a main class of well-over a hundred. I'm saying no more at present, but if this one is a success something along very similar lines is possible in connection with an ex-NE prototype, even if not quite so many individual locos would be covered. At last NE area modellers might have more than just a J72 easily available to add true local flavour to their layouts, without recourse to complete or complex kit building.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Always wanted a J67.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Good luck with the new project.
Is it guessing time?
How about an F4?
That could be converted into the F5,F6, and F8.
Earlswood Nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nah a T1 from the new Hornby GWR tanks :lol: :lol:
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Interesting- hope it works out without to many snags,the NE hint has got my ears pricked up .Wordsell designs would seem to be the only connection between Southern LNE area and NER classes meeting the spec. All in all, tantalising and eagerly await all to be revealed.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
I have just read Atlantic's post again. It says Southern Area LNER, that includes GCR & GNR. Also the NER coneection would be a different project.

Earlswood Nob
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Sorry folks- misread it (senile moment) as the NE class progressing from the same conversion- rather than a separate operation using a similar method ,if that makes sense. Looking forward to the result!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

As I did originally ten ten.....I think it's the brain seeing what it wants to see.
Coronach
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Coronach »

This sounds promising!

Dave.
"If they say it's good, we know it's bad; if they say it's bad, we know it's good." - Jimmy Reid.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. More brake vans..

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

While the research and plotting on locos continues, I've also found time to get on with some long overdue work on brake vans. The two Toad Es with resin sides and ends are now festooned with 30-odd handrails apiece, are painted, and a token start in transfers has been made. The Smallbrook Studio all-resin ex GE / WD / LSWR design of barke van is also painted now, with basic lettering on one side and thanks to the kindness of another local modeller I now know where the letters go on the other side too! By the way, there was a nightmare event mid-week as I was preparing to put top-coats on the Smallbrook van. Surprised at the initial ease with which the wheelsets could be sprung in and out of the resin one-piece underfarme, it seemed easiest just to pop them out again before painting. The W-iron and stepboard snapped right off at one corner of the van, which cartwheeled out of my hands and landed on the bench, demolishing the framing around one verandah. Profane fiddly rebuilding ensued. Be warned.
I've also at last put my Chivers BY together, almost three times, having twice overlooked or misread remarks in the instructions about the orientation of parts. Good job I "twigged" soon enough to pull the not-hardened joints apart again.
Incompetence thrives.
Resin Toad E.JPG
2 Toad Es plus Smallbrook WD.JPG
Other images not found for reinstatement 24/12/2018
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

For all that we agreed the casting on that resin brake van is very fine indeed, I had to replace the stepboards with brass. I'll dig out a picture of mine later if I can find one.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although the main decoration of the goods brake vans is now complete, I'm not rushing to apply final weathering and glazing until I've finished assembling and modifying a truly dead-easy "classic" plastic kit that I've now had in the "maturing box" since I paid a visit to Llangollen in late-August 2000. It does have a human connection to the LNER, but is certainly not an LNER item in its own right. I won't initially build it as a true working model, but it will be convertible later if the mood takes me. I'll reveal more when the lunacy has developed to a more impressive level.

auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

I like very much that ex GE/LSWR/WD brakevan. It has a most appealing quirkiness!

auldreekie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

STA78605.JPG
As mooted way back on page 25 of this very thread. These may be of some interest too:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... comotives/

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... os.org.uk/(S(hlrifgp1oqiv5s4tmogrbysb))/_mnOr/mnOrHistory.aspx&h=202&w=815&sz=115&tbnid=gDENxZp8M_olcM:&tbnh=33&tbnw=135&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbulleid%2B2-8-2%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=bulleid+2-8-2&usg=__9wX38M0bsnby9KRsCJGT1qZeka0=&docid=2NtnN8IWozrfwM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7sp2UfeJCMLeOZ_HgcAK&ved=0CEwQ9QEwBQ&dur=1063

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ied-2-8-2/
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Oh, yes. The OVSB monster.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.