Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loco workbench - B2, P1, W1, A3, O2/3, P10?, & at last aP2!

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Simierski wrote:Here's the tender - I think it needs some modification but thankfully it's a non corridor tender:
Principally removal of beading, straightening of front edges of side sheets, and a bit of fairing around the top of the front of the coal space. I suspect it could be done without a full re-paint and re-lining job becoming necessary. That tender looks a good one and could certainly be made to do the job, but before we act can we be devious and come up with an alternative that is either easier still or does not leave us with a "wasted" old-version Hornby corridor tender?

Just out of interest, is there anybody out there with a streamlined non-corridor tender, looking to swap for a "new type non-corridor"?

Added 1.17pm: Or for that matter would anybody want a corridor tender in exchage for a streamlined non-corridor.........unless Simon has other plans of course.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Simierski wrote:Here's the tender - I think it needs some modification but thankfully it's a non corridor tender:
Principally removal of beading, straightening of front edges of side sheets, and a bit of fairing around the top of the front of the coal space. I suspect it could be done without a full re-paint and re-lining job becoming necessary. That tender looks a good one and could certainly be made to do the job, but before we act can we be devious and come up with an alternative that is either easier still or does not leave us with a "wasted" old-version Hornby corridor tender?

Just out of interest, is there anybody out there with a streamlined non-corridor tender, looking to swap for a "new type non-corridor"?

Added 1.17pm: Or for that matter would anybody want a corridor tender in exchage for a streamlined non-corridor.........unless Simon has other plans of course.
That's a shame, I have a whitemetal piece for the fairing at the front of the coal space, but not particularly wanting to lop the beading off just yet...

I'd be happy to do a swap for anyone who wants a tender suitable for an A3 pacific in BR green for a tender suitable for an A4 pacific in BR green...? :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Here's the altered rear end of the body after filling, rubbing down, coat of primer, back-filling, more rubbing down, addition of cladding band and new mudhole doors, then further coat of primer. I've also drilled out the hioles for the cab handrail knobs. The cast resin copies of the two washout plugs that have to be relocated won't be added until the loco is ready for almost the final coat of paint as their fine details are so easily clogged by paint. I've been shielding the remaining washout plugs from primer for the same reason.
STA75325 blended and primed rhs.jpg
STA75326 blended changes overview.jpg
Unless the offer of a streamlined tender comes up, maybe it would be easiest for me to do the few alterations that are needed to that "beaded" non-corridor tender before spraying the altered parts of the loco body green - the two items could then be "patch sprayed" to match all-in-one-go???
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Looking good Graeme, like Jonathan with his ferry vans these are fast becoming your signature work.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've put out a "wanted" notice on RMweb and will do so here in due course.

If in the event I can't get a matching tender I'll have a word in your ear Graeme about some modifications :)

It's looking mint so far, am very pleased with the conversion to 60022 to 60700. :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A signature model Rob? Now there's a thought. How many W1s can possibly be wanted.....

Now sporting handrails, ejector pipe and all washout plugs again, with filler and primer finally rubbed down flush I believe. Some green paint cannot be far away, although I might do the cab roof black first - I'd ideally like to use Halfords car aerosol "super-acrylic" black on the roof, so as to get the hardest wearing black paint possible along the exposed edges, and I daren't try to put the stuff on over green Humbrol enamel. If I do the black first that allows more time for thought regarding the tender anyway.

STA75330t.jpg

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: How many W1s can possibly be wanted.....
Not sure if you meant W1 rather than P2, but I have just been successful at getting a Medley Models 7mm W1 (I originally thought I might go for an Ace one but after consultation with fellow members and the recent BRM article I decided against it). It has a resin body so it will be my first foray in this direction - quite remarkable how quick this has come around following our PM conversation :wink: . I shouldn't think it will feature on the WB for quite some time though as the wife is buying me it for Christmas (it was at a price too good to miss so I had a go).
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Fear not, I'll be back to that P2 in due course. Not enough hours in the day for all the model making I'm trying to do, especially with the rest of life getting in the way repeatedly :lol: .

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Rob P, resin is an easy material to work with. Just don't get it hot as it goes very soft even in hot tap water, but that does mean that any warps can be easily smoothed.

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Fear not, I'll be back to that P2 in due course. Not enough hours in the day for all the model making I'm trying to do, especially with the rest of life getting in the way repeatedly :lol: .
"Not sure if you meant W1 rather than P2" - you will have to excuse the senior moment Graeme of course you were talking about W1's - I had just been looking at your thread title and P2 stuck in my mind. Sad to say I woke up as few hours after the post and realised that I had been talking through the posterior
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your article in BRM, very in depth and nice pic comparison to Tony Wrights..... I prefer yours ;) but Ian's paint jobs are the business.

Superb!

Tom
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Having just finished reading the article in question, a hearty well done - and surprisingly I now know who I have to thank for the terrific A2 article I still have in my pile of article clippings. I was fascinated by the Irish Elegance conversion back then in 2007, and that fact you've added - and not removed - material to make the W1 strikes me as a slight irony. :)

Great read this one and the previous, am delighted I can thank the author of that particular article at long last.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I was impressed by the way the article appeared as edited and laid out in BRM. I did notice one or two little glitches that had crept in, such as a paragraph that began with words that seemed to have no immediate context or relevance, plus elsewhere one or two apparent duplications of information, a couple of minor omissions, and some possible disagreements between words and photos. All the consequence I'm afraid of trying to get the draft article ready for a deadline once I belatedly knew that it was desired to publish it the June edition - as a result the draft had to be submitted in a somewhat rough and clearly too lengthy state, still including all possible "optional" sections of text, all potentially usable images, and all associated captions, leaving it for the poor assistant editor to sort out what he wanted. After that there was no time for me to see or check any proofs.

Any progress regarding your tender Simon? I'm in no tearing hurry to get on with finishing the loco (as I'm trying to ease-up a little on "head-down" modelling work at present on account of a still stiff neck) but there's little more to do now other than add the green paint, lining and numerals. If there's any matching paintwork to attend to on the tender, it will obviously be best to hit both jobs at once. The cab roof and the carrying wheels at the rear are already done in black, and the lubricator drive is transplanted.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Any progress regarding your tender Simon? I'm in no tearing hurry to get on with finishing the loco (as I'm trying to ease-up a little on "head-down" modelling work at present on account of a still stiff neck) but there's little more to do now other than add the green paint, lining and numerals. If there's any matching paintwork to attend to on the tender, it will obviously be best to hit both jobs at once. The cab roof and the carrying wheels at the rear are already done in black, and the lubricator drive is transplanted.
No progress as yet chap - I've put some advertisements out, and am currently watching an item on ebay carefully - and no rush chap, I have two presentations and an essay due in for the end of next week and am restricting my modeling/internet time so I can get it all done.

As and when you can chap, there's no deadline by any means. :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Here's some more of my lunacy. Just to prove that it can be done, Hornby's Railroad 1928 corridor tender converted into the streamlined, non-corridor variety. Reduced to scale 8' tank width. Definitely not viable as part of a comission-build, owing to the time taken, but an interesting excercise:

slimline tender top.jpg
slimline tender front.jpg
slimline tender 1.jpg
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Mon May 24, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.