My models (some LNER)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: My models (some LNER)

Post by Manxman1831 »

A significant amount of underfloor progress to report today. Pictures tell more than words.
Attachments
DSC00560.jpg
DSC00561.jpg
DSC00562.jpg
DSC00563.jpg
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

One more for the day.
Attachments
DSC00564.jpg
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I'm watching this with interest as mine is still in the box, but I looked at it last night and it's got the wrong bogies too, as you and Mike.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

They way I'm looking at it, is that this will be 'working' once it is completed. The bogie problem (might be overstating a little) can be rectified by those that wish to do so using either ABS or Kirk replacements. I may do so in the future, but for the here-and-now these bogies are perfectly acceptable for my needs. If anyone does wish to reduce the depth of the cast framing, I look forward to seeing their efforts.
Brian

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Are you using solder or glue?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

My constant method of construction is with superglue (10g Loctite). I have next to no experience in solder-construction. Wiring is my limit with soldering.
Brian

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

[quote="Manxman1831"]They way I'm looking at it, is that this will be 'working' once it is completed. The bogie problem (might be overstating a little) can be rectified by those that wish to do so using either ABS or Kirk replacements. I may do so in the future, but for the here-and-now these bogies are perfectly acceptable for my needs. If anyone does wish to reduce the depth of the cast framing, I look forward to seeing their efforts.[/quote

I wonder if the MJT Gresley Bogie side frames may fit on the etches? Perhaps Mike may know ?
Havent looked at mine to check what type the bogies are.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

mick b wrote: I wonder if the MJT Gresley Bogie side frames may fit on the etches? Perhaps Mike may know ?
Havent looked at mine to check what type the bogies are.
They certainly fit but whether they help improve clearances or not is difficult to determine without making the units up. My suspicion is probably not. Bear in mind on the prototype there is very little clearance compared to what models typically require.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Today's contribution is a small but important step towards getting the look of the original, instead of it being a shell. Roof will be stuck down once I have completed the interior (detailing, painting and glazing). The space underneath has been opened up to allow light to enter and brighten the coach interior.
Attachments
DSC00575.jpg
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Good morning to all. An update for those eagerly awaiting progress on my build of the dynamometer car, but first off an open apology. As some of you know through my writings here I have had a low opinion of Tony Wright and his methods. Following his absence from the pages of BRM and my own time away from modelling over the past few weeks, I have come to appreciate just how much he knows and how much that loss of experience will be in the hopefully far future. Watching a few of the BRM DVD's from the past three years, last night, gave me a bit of an understanding as to how difficult it is for an expert to get across the ideas and knowledge that are taken for granted by the people who are 'in the know'. In these times, with the model railway market either stalling, or in steep decline (depending on your viewpoint), I think it is time to congratulate those people who have tried to make the inner workings of model and miniature railways open to the general public - either by step-by-step building of kits/scratchbuilding, or by visiting locations and talking with operators.

I would like to thank Tony Wright and BRM, Bob Symes, Ben Jones and Model Rail - indeed everyone who has tried to make any modelling hobby accessible to the public through whatever media they happened to be using, including Mark Found and his shows on Sky/Youtube.

And now, progress -
Attachments
Undercoats on body and underframe.
Undercoats on body and underframe.
DSC00577.jpg
Looking inside at the bench (to be painted light matt green) and table (to be painted dark gloss green).
Looking inside at the bench (to be painted light matt green) and table (to be painted dark gloss green).
Looking at the opposite end with the benches (to be painted light matt brown and given red cushioning) and the table (again to be painted dark gloss green).
Looking at the opposite end with the benches (to be painted light matt brown and given red cushioning) and the table (again to be painted dark gloss green).
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the dynamometer car. I've decided to try and place a representation of the people present in the coach during the record run. Unfortunately, I have come up with no definitive numbers for the people involved - even the RCTS volumes have let me down, so at this time I'm guessing at there being maybe ten/twelve on board - four for the Westinghouse team, four for the measurement team, the travelling inspector, H.N. Gresley at the very least, possibly two stewards manning the lounge area?

Does anyone have any suggestions/evidence from a photo as to the people involved during this memorable run?
Brian

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not during the 1938 run itself, but have you seen the pictures in LNER Reflections? ISTR there are some showing the instrumentation in use, which will give you an idea of where people would have been.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Been well over two years since I last touched on this one - the Reid-Ramsay turbo-electric condensing locomotive. Had a fit of pique today and finally got around to destroying a chassis for it (or should that be creating?), and came up with this monstrosity.
Attachments
R-R chassis.jpg
comparison with drawing - lots of room methinks
comparison with drawing - lots of room methinks
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hello all,

Been having fun putting the Reid-Ramsay together - 'lots of room, methinks' turned into 'oh bugger, there isn't' in fairly short order once I started building the superstructure. Measured five times, cut once - still managed to get bits in the way of others. Oh well, learning curves are great, especially when they are vertical. Should have more pictures later, plus some more of the dynamometer car - just need to clear the dust off from the plastic monster.
Brian

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Pictures of the Reid-Ramsay - ends of chassis left open as bufferbeams require holes cutting before adding to frames. Enjoying this build as it is a challenge.
Attachments
R-R boiler.jpg
R-R cab.jpg
Brian