Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. Mystery coaching s

Post by mick b »

ECJS stock ? built from much modified Kirks (guessed at the mention of plastic)?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Only mildly warm. The evidence of orign is there to be seen.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I have no idea of the origins but they are very nice Graeme!
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

They originate from old Hornby Gresley stock judging by the bogies on the upper vehicle.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I am looking at this on the screen of my phone which is not ideal. If my eyes are not failing me there are different bogies so I assume we are looking at 2 different coaches or 2 sides of the same coach but after a change of bogies?

The body/bodies could be Hornby but with Kirk rooves?

Clearly typing slower than Morgan!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jim
Two coaches

I agree re Hornby bogies from the awful ancient couplings , no idea however if they have ever done Fox bogies ?.

As too origins clueless but the Clerestory roof sections have been made very well.

Anything to do with these which I have just found, sounds like some interesting kits

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetS ... M=wizabout

then search for RDEB kits
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

One coach, two sides. Morgan and Mick definitely warm regarding the bogies. Jim said something warm too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hornby bogies

Kirk sides

Kemilway roof

Give up at this point :roll:
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Atlantic's works inc. RTRconversions. Tender body in rub

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Ah, but is it inflatable?

Actually, if you feel kind enough to send that boiler assembly I'm about ready to have a look at that idea more closely. Whilst I can't promise exactly how / when any plans might take shape, I'm certainly happy to send the boiler back to after appraisal if you are keen for me to evaluate it but would then like it back too.
Let me have your postal address please. I'll be sending you the entire kit, so you can pick out any other bits that you might want to use as masters, in addition to the assembled smokebox/boiler/firebox.

Meanwhile I'm making a little more progress with my own hybrid V2.....
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

mick b wrote:Jim
Anything to do with these which I have just found, sounds like some interesting kits

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetS ... M=wizabout

then search for RDEB kits
Oo - those look interesting! Have to consult what limited diagram information I have and see what survived to the 1930's. Pity there's no pics to go with them (yet?) on the Wizard site.

(Muzzled re Atlantic's coaches!)
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well my pennies worth is they are modified 1st generation Hornby Gresley teaks. Which is a pity if I'm right as I've just given all mine to my grandson (I might have to grab them back).
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Must be time for revelation of the truth I suppose. It's interesting that nobody has challenged or queried the diagram for the vehicle, but there has been nothing (so far, in the short time since posting the image) from messers Trice, Bedford or Campling so maybe I've just been lucky with this particular subterfuge. I wondered if I would find that most LNER modellers, including myself for certain, don't know enough about GN or ECJS clerestories to be able to spot an imposter. That however is the truth of the matter, this isn't a model of an actual prototype (unless I've managed an uncanny fluke) and it isn't a kit or full scratchbuild of any age or origin, nor is it a hitherto unknown RTR model. In fact, it isn't actually built yet, but I am confident that it CAN be, cheaply quickly and without too much difficulty, so it offers an ideal way to increase the diversity of teak stock on my layout and on Grantham.
As the next picture will help you all to see, Jim was close and Dave is spot-on. With the "mystery coach " images repeated here for direct comparison, it is nothing more than a well used old Hornby Gresley "fantasy 57' composite". The coach I used as the parent image for my feasibility test by photo mock-up is a Hornby coach that I "teaked" quite a few years ago before I got brave enough to start cutting and shutting to create coaches that corresponded to actual diagrams. Apart from paint, the one change it had was to wire trussing in place of the moulded plastic "angle iron" trusses. Inspired by the coach that Rob Pulham is building in O gauge I used cut and paste to install some extra "plastic strips" in some of the window apeartures, remove the lower halves of two of the doors, import a clerestory roof and ends with blanked windows from a D & S ECJS brake, and to introduce Fox bogies from that same source in one of the views.
STA78843 old hornby compo w.jpg
Howldenised Hornby Compo w .jpg
I'm glad that the result seems to be so convincing at first glance. The underframe fittings are no doubt all-wrong, and it may be that the roof ventilator layout is "unlikely" as possibly are the door top vents. I may consider a similar conversion of the equivalent brake compo too. I'm also wondering whether duplicates of the adapted body shell, or possibly just the new roof, ought to be done in resin.
2750, 3390 and 4479 who have kindly "played along" with my little guessing game are now, with my thanks, released from their vows of silence :wink: .
Last edited by Atlantic 3279 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Actually Graeme, I think I've managed to unearth your address from some old PayPal transaction records. I'll send the whole V2 kit in the post to you once I retrieve it from the attic :wink:
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well Graeme, they look very convincing, I look forward to watching how you progress. I don't have my dia pages to hand to check if they are near anything real as I'm at work, so someone else can, but why bother they look the part.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:It's interesting that nobody has challenged or queried the diagram for the vehicle, but there has been nothing from messers Trice, Bedford or Campling so maybe I've just been lucky with this particular subterfuge.
First time I have accessed the forum since you posted the images. They do look good.