Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shops.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Saint Johnstoun's thread - projects at the Kinnoull Shop

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

There are two Fireless Locos still at Quainton Road, both built by Andrew Barclay. Neither is currently operational as the process of charging the receiver with steam when one doesn't have a large static industrial boiler can be a problem.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bloor had one as a gate guardian at Bressingham when I last passed by.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Nearly there- I have a second set of parts cut so am going to build another and think I can improve on this one slightly!
Fireless b.jpg
Fireless c.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Whilst industrials in general, and fireless locos more particularly, are not my cup of tea that certainly makes an interestingly different model.

Now here's a dim question or two: With no heat source to cause ferocious turbid boiling of the water, was there really a need for a dome in which to "safely" collect steam without great risk of priming? Was it perhaps the case that the initial water level was rather high in the freshly re-charged boiler ?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The regulator was in the dome - hence the rod from there back into the cab. The actual operation of a fireless locomotive is interesting in itself, best explained in the Oakwood Press Book on Fireless Locos written by my friend Allan Baker some years ago, in which chapter two gives a lowdown as to how the system works. For those with a bit of scientific knowledge it has to do with latent heat and the application of Charles' Law P1 x V1/T1 = P2 x V2/T2.

The reservoir maintains a level of water which is then charged with steam from an outside source - it is the water in the reservoir that really acts as the storage medium and the means whereby the loco can operate for a period until the steam pressure drops below that which can maintain a satisfactory tractive effort, the water level also dropping. Later locos had reducing valves fitted so that the steam pressure to the cylinders could be maintained at a more constant level.

On recharging some of the steam condenses in the water remaining in the reservoir thus raising the water level.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Sidelined from the Fireless project at present as I await a friend measuring up the Barclay 0-6-0 at Bo'ness so I have been doing some more variations for my proposed Industrial layout (which will be connected to the LNER by the way!)

Here is the 'Lambton cab' variant on the WD Austerity 0-6-0ST. I used the cab from a spare body to work on but it will be fitted to another loco when complete.
Lambton Cab.jpg
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

That looks good!

Looks like very thin styrene: if so, that curve may need some bracing if it is (i) to retain its shape, and (ii) to resist knocks. I speak from experience of (large) narrow-gauge scratch-built efforts...

auldreekie
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

The sides are reinforced inside with a second layer of .010" Plasticard and the top is a separate piece so it is quite rigid. I tried to find a plastic container of suitable diameter to use but failed so far.

Another possible project is an RSH 'Ugly' 0-6-0ST as used at Corby. An Austerity body carved up would work but the wheelbase is different and another chassis may be needed although it may be possible to alter the wheelbase of the Hornby one and alter the coupling rods to suit. The cab is quite different and would have to be scratch built.
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

The 10thou lamination might do the trick. I'd have gone for something cruder and tougher, like 20thou minimum reinforcement well away from the edges on the flat bits at the sides, and some 40 thou side-to-side curved-profile fillets, or even a sequence of underlying narrow front-to-back planks of 40thou, under the top part of the curve. But I AM notably ham-fisted.

And I do not pretend to any worthwhile track-record in building SG motive power....

auldreekie
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

Saint Johnstoun wrote: Another possible project is an RSH 'Ugly' 0-6-0ST as used at Corby. An Austerity body carved up would work but the wheelbase is different and another chassis may be needed although it may be possible to alter the wheelbase of the Hornby one and alter the coupling rods to suit. The cab is quite different and would have to be scratch built.
I think the only part from an Austerity that you could use would be a shortened boiler/saddle tank,you couldn't really modify the Hornby chassis to suit as the wheelbase is longer and the wheel diameter smaller,and as you say the cab is completely different as well.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I really need a drawing for this type of loco but so far have not been able to find one. I think the Bachmann J72 chassis may be close but not suitable then there is the Hornby Terrier?
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

Hello SJ,

I can't put my hand on my notes where I made a record of the wheelbase at the moment,but I think,from memory that the wheelbase of an RSH 'Ugly' is 6'+6',[it maybe 6'6"+6'6"] with the wheel diameter 4'.

The wheelbase of the J72 is too long,at 6'8"+7'0",whereas that of the Terrier is 6'+6'.

However,the motor position of a Dapol/Hornby Terrier chassis would make it less than ideal for putting under a saddletank body,the motor [the same 'Mabuchi' type as used in the Pug and the Austerity] sits on its side in the middle of the chassis,it's concealed within the side tanks of the Terrier,but it would be in the area of the lower boiler/firebox front of the Ugly and would be too wide even if a fictitious 'box' was built to hide it [like Dapol did with the Austerity]

BTW,have you considered using Terrier wheels on your Hunslet 48150 to give you the correct 4' diameter? and tweaking the cab roof around the eaves a bit?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Thanks for those useful tips - I was only looking at the roof of the 48150 cab last night and think that I could tweak it a bit with some plastic strip to eliminate the radius - once I find out the correct livery for it when new I will do the mod before I paint it.

I presume having the same parentage that the axle diameter of J94 and Terrier wheels are the same whereby a wheel change would be easy. The only problem may be the gear on the driving axle. However, I managed to change this when I did the J38 from J39 conversion so anything is possible if you try!

A friend is today measuring up the 0-6-0 Fireless at Bo'ness for me - as for the chassis on that beast I think that an extended Pug chassis with extra wheelset will be the route forward. Only problem will be the coupling rods but I will no doubt solve that one too!

A final thought - if the terrier wheels fit the 48150 I can also do a 50550! Only the Bunker and cab need tweaking. Incidentally - on first look the drive gears on the axles look the same!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Lambton Austerity.jpg
The Lambton Worm arrives. I've to find some suitable lettering and also move the injectors - I have a spare chassis (damaged) which I think I will remove same from and rework to fit on the footplate.
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Like it. You could have started a lifetime's project here modelling the mighty varied industrial steam of County Durham!

auldreekie