On my Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: On my Workbench - Nice one Nige!

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Success! Two old projects ready to go home to their owner:

!st off, an old Hornby Ivatt 2MT now No 46474. Needs front numberplate and some real coal - just waiting for the print of the number to dry thoroughly.
Hornby Ivatt.JPG
Now, a Bachmann J39 No 4844.
Bachy J39.JPG
Coal to add and front coupler to refit.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

While doing something for myself yesterday, I stumbled upon a repair for the Bachmann J72 motor.

The loco it came from had been adapted for DCC operation and, as suspected, flux fumes had corroded away the brush spring in one brush holder. The armature and the other brush were fine, as proven by probing wires. As a tight Yorkshireman, no way was I willingly going to spend £20 on a new motor so I've been wondering about suitable replacements. Bachmann do not sell them so an alternative had to be found.

The solution was in a dead Mashima in my spares box. The brushes and springs are identical! Scale Link sell Hamazodo brushes and springs that will do the job and, apparently, Branchlines sell the Mashima components. I will report back when I receive their PDF catalogues.

Now - where's that Atlantic?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Bloody weather!

Can't fix the car, can't spray paint, and my bench is full of projects awaiting painting. I have just enough space to put them away, freeing up the bench for the cylinder head overhaul. Roll on milder weather.

Anyone out there in touch with the weather gods, please put in a word for me. Please. This lounge lizard needs his lounge back and fully mobile again!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Just spent an interesting afternoon at a friend's. This guy models in coarse scale O gauge and has been having problems with a Heljan 47. It was running slowly and causing his (Helmsman) controller to overload.

Considering this is a £500 loco, I was appalled. The short was caused by the roof fan motor (not currently available as a spare) being assembled on a warped moulding. As for the slow running? It was improved by the removal of the short BUT I then discovered that the motors had not even been oiled during assembly.

I despair......

However,the other 2 he has seem fine so, hopefully, an isolated incident.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: On my Workbench - Atlantic works start......

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

1st the good news.

Iron Duke, I have recommenced work on the Atlantic. So far, the tender has been resoldered together, and I've got it better than last time so that's a bonus. The Compound chassis has arrived which I shall use to replace the utterly destroyed originals. I've gotten hold of some 75deg solder so work is commencing.

Now the bad news. I've given up on the missing cabside - the good Lord only knows what the little darlin's have done with that - so I'll make one out of brass sheet and plastic rod. Also my copy of Paint Shop Pro has gone phut so I'll have a go with T'Ayepad to process the piccies. So a new copy of PSP needed......

I'll be working on the loco body tomorrow. And hopefully some pictures! Bloody computers, I hate them!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Oh, bugger!!!!!

No possibility of pictures. Sadly this iPad thingy can't process a picture to make it suitable to post on here.

I hate blasted computers!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Think I may have gotten round this.....

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a55 ... zbiosh.jpg

Yep! I'd forgotten my Photobucket account!

So as you can see the connecting rods are twisted out of shape but, apart from the missing cab side, it's all there. The odd, spidery thing is the remains of the cylinders. to be replaced by a set from a Comet Midland Compound. They're the same shape......
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

What a mess, 10 mins should see it running, come on ........., you've had six months :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

OK

Progress so far?

The Comet Cylinders idea will work, just need some 145 deg solder to assemble the Comet front frames onto the Ks original loco frames.

Clearances are tight under the splashers, some filing is needed under there. So need to remove the boiler from the footplate. Again.

And no, I will NOT give it to the cats again before anyone suggests otherwise!!!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Head scratch time.

Fitting those Comet cylinders to the Ks chassis is proving more problematic than I thought it would be.

So thinking me thinks.

Not forgotten this. Just scratching me nut!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oi, BB!!! Where you been then????

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I've been busy.

1st of all the replacement car (another Citroen quelle surprise!!!) has needed some attention with a blown head gasket and the post rebuild service. Oh, and the locks have needed changing. They are amazingly flimsy, apparently designed to break if someone tries to force them with a screwdriver. One had already failed and the other on the way out, so you can imagine the shock I got at finding just how flimsy they are. So, the diagnostic interface has been ordered so I can program the remotes into the car. Who is trembling, seeing as I am so (in)competent with Technology!

Secondly we are part of a group who has taken over an allotment. Sadly it was a little neglected so my time over the last few weeks has been at a premium!

However, I am formulating a plan involving sheet brass, a pair of snips and a file. Watch this space! The brass? Leftover from an etched kit! So there is a point to being a tight Tyke after all!!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

The start if a comeback.....

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Just rpto let y'all know I'm still here!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: RIP JimJim

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

A swift update.

Shakes getting better but still a problem, looks like another trip to the Quack may be needed.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: If it's not one thing......

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I hate computers. I mean, REALLY loathe them! They try my patience and every time I wish for a 4lb hammer. Even worse, I now drive a vehicle that is more a mobile data network than a car!

Anyway, the motor has been playing me up. I have had an occasional starting problem, especially when cold,and damp which came to a head on Wednesday when she refused to start at all. At 11pm. On an icy cold night. So I called Green Flag who eventually persuaded the old bus into action by which time it was 1 am.

Next morning, guess what? None start! But this time I watched the lights and diagnosed a glow,plug problem. Oh, and I did persuade her to start at the 4th time of asking. So I thought, put XP on an older laptop we have, plug in my Lexia, aka diagnostic thingy and see what transpires.

Frustration!

The laptop did talk to the Lexia, the Lexia talked to the car but, when the Lexia asked to speak to the Net, the computer refused to accept that there was such a thing. Upon investigation, the putter refused to believe it has a a wireless card or a network card. And refused to accept any I downloaded on a flash drive! The only reason the computer did not feel the underside of a 4lb hammer is because it was in the boot of the car!

So with no diagnostic, back to the old ways. Out with the ECU and there, trembling in fear beneath it, the glow plug relay saw the light of day. Swift unplug and, as suspected, the connectors were damp and dirty. Hopefully the squirt of WD40 has cured the problem.

Meanwhile I now await the delivery of an external DVD drive so I can download the Lexia programs onto a dedicated laptop. Oh, and to finish restoring the other one to full working order.

Aaaaaah, some single malt. Yeah. Yeah, baby, yeah!!!!!
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: If it's not one thing......

Post by James Harrison »

Meanwhile my 1972 Spitfire (which is older then me by about 15 years...) started up first time on Saturday afternoon, having been left outside (under a car cover) for a fortnight during the coldest nights of the winter so far.

And not a single computer in her!