Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 7mm Rolling Stock Builds

Post by Robpulham »

Despite being distracted by a 4mm L&Y Steam Railmotor (shock Horror! :shock: ), I managed to get the W Irons soldered on last last night.

Not the best photo's I have ever taken but....

Now a bit of adjustment on the brakes is needed as after testing the arms are a little too long.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Further successes on the spray painting front - this is using Citadel (Games Workshop) Bleached Bone.

This is a Slaters 14 ton Class A tank wagon from the beginning of this thread (not the scratch build just in case you thought I had sneaked in and finished it).

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Needing a break from lining Papyrus I spent a bit of time putting the transfers on this Parkside LMS Meat van - just needs a little weathering and it's ready for service.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Havng been and bought some ply sheets for my forthcoming layout I have also done a bit of work on one of my part built kits.

This is a Slaters Tar Tank and I used the Brassmasters jig to set up the axles and while I was waiting for the glue to dry I made a replacement filler cap fitting as the Slaters plastic one looked quite vulnerable.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

While at the cottage over the last few weekends I have been batch building three Midland Cattle wagons from Slaters kits of various vintages. The oldest I picked up fromlast years bring and buy at Halifax show.

All have been built pretty much to the instructions. However all needed the sole bars packing out with plasticard and then filling back to fit, as they were all slightly too short.

I also did a bit of variety with the bars in the sides/doors, making a couple up with bars fitted from the outside and one with them drilled through. - Although I did chicken out of the Slaters method of cutting slits at the back with a razor saw and then filling with car body filler after inserting the bar.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Work on the J63 has been on hold for a week as I have been away in North Yorkshire (I did manage to fit in a visit to the NRM at Shildon and 2 visits to the NYMR in the week though).

Despite being away modelling didn't stop and I have a few Slaters/Parkside kits completed or almost.

The first is a Slaters Midland 5 plank open from a very old kit that I picked up at the bring and buy at Halifax.

In an effort to improve it I scribed the inner planking and added representations of the inner strapping from plasticard strips rivetting them with a scriber. Despite it's age the mouldings are really crisp and it went together very easily. I am very pleased with the result.

Next up is a Parkside 12 ton unfitted van. The only changes I did with this was to file the brake levers down so that they better represent the various bends and drilled out the lever guard to represent the holes for the securing pin.

Next is a Parkside LNER 20 ton Steel hopper wagon. This I built straight out of thew box and despite it's many parts to make the hopper it allwent together very easily. I just ad to add one strip of plastic to make up a gap where the two sections of hopper didn't quite mate properly. This is one that I had put off for a while due to the many bits. Now I wish I had just got on with it as it's made up in to a very nice wagon and I think a few more of these may be in order.

Last but not least is a Parkside LNER Horse Box. This is one of Parksides most recent releases and to be honest it shows with the level of detail and the lack of flash etc.

There is provision for the small opening window in the groom toilet that was a feature of these boxes so I cut a circle of plasticard using an olfa circle cutter and then cut segments to represent the edge guides for the opening window. I aslo added a strip under this to make up the top of the frame for the bottom pane.

I still have the brake yokes etc to add to this one but as I am painting it in LNER colours I wanted to be able to drop the wheels out to paint them teak brown before they are trapped by the brakes.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

While I have been steadily working on Nellie (not much progress this week due to being worn out and not having the patience) , Chris has been weaving her magic on the Connoisseur Implement wagon.

And last but not least I did this earlier today - I have an almost complete Parkside LMS Brake van on the go. And while I built most of it at the cottage I brought it home to solder some of the brake fittings together.

While rummaging in a drawer for the backhead for Nellie I remembered that I had bought aa few cast brake van stoves from Slaters at one of the shows. So I got one out, soldered some copper tube in for the chimney and then gave it a good clean with shiny sinks. Then I immersed it in Carrs brass black.

Once I had rinsed it to stop the reaction I dryed and rubbed it with some paper towl resulting in this:

Which to my mind gives a great representation of the black lead that my mother used to use on our cast stove when I lived at home.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You do realise you'll need to fit a lamp so you can show off the interior? Nice job, that.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

jwealleans wrote:You do realise you'll need to fit a lamp so you can show off the interior? Nice job, that.
Thanks, I still have some of the DCC concepts flicker free lighting but I think that I will save it for something a bit more worthy - I have a couple of inspection saloons in the pile which will be better candidates with all their windows. They are from the wrong side of the Pennines for this forum though :D
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Excellent selection of wagons, beautifully put together :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Manna.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I love your filming location, shades of grey(Not that one) and Jarrow Slakes come to mind.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

52D wrote:I love your filming location, shades of grey(Not that one) and Jarrow Slakes come to mind.
I really aught to print off a backscene - I have some, I just haven't worked out how to print them on A3 so I can stich the prints back together (I haven't really looked either to be honest :oops: )
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

No dont print a back scene the NER delibarately chose Jarrow Slakes to photograph their locos in works grey as the viewpoint was uncluttered and neutral to make what ever they were photographing stand out.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Some good weathering on the Implement Wagon. I think mine must be ex-Works, and for the Queen at that!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia