My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: My Workbench - and who knows, one day maybe even a layou

Post by Phil Brighton »

The various stages of teaking!
Attachments
2012-11-23 15.04.13.jpg
2012-11-23 15.04.37.jpg
2012-11-23 15.05.09.jpg
2012-11-23 15.05.19.jpg
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Picked up these 3 for a pretty reasonable price from the from a page I stumbled upon on the Watercress line site http://www.watercressline.co.uk/News/Latest/View/956

J6 D2 and F1, will go for the J6 first. They have been glued and I am hoping the paint stripper will undo this as well as the paint. Haven't done this before, am I best finding a metal container and submerging it in the stuff? I think though time will tell I can get the chassis to run ok, it has a five pole x04 so perhaps and clean and a neo magnet it will be ok. The tender wheels and chassis are worse, plastic wheels they don't run freely.
Attachments
2012-12-24 15.04.59.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Phil!

I use Mr Muscle to do my paint stripping.It has the advantage that it doesn't affect plastics but turns epoxy glue to a jelly-like substance that has no adhesion whatsoever. Pop it in a metal biccie tin, cover the items with MM then seal the lid and leave overnight. Be careful when you wash the bodies - you can lose small components such as sandbox fillers and lubricators easily.

As for the X04s, a drop of oil on the bearings and a tweak on the brush springs should see them right. I have never fitted a neo magnet on any of mine, and all run well. The Romford gears may not be right but pack with card spacers until all is well.

Maybe I should point out at this point that I collect Triang?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I use Nitromors. It's stiff enough that you can just blob it on with an old paintbrush and it will stay there and get to work. I use one of those foil containers that supermarket chickens come in to contain all the bits, then cold water and an old toothbrush to remove it. make sure you get the green tin not the yellow - you need white spirit to wash that one off and it adds another dimension of mess and faff.

Looks like a good buy, that lot.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I know it's Christmas, but I'm very jealous, lucky you. 8)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks for the tips guys, hope you had a good Christmas.
I have used a pound shop Mr Muscle rip-off 'Dr Magic' to strip back plastic kits but I thought I might need some thing tougher for these as the paint looks pretty thick. Will see how it goes.
Manna, - yes I was pretty lucky with the prices of the kits, it may well be worth seeing what else they have left. I am more focusing on GNR territory as ideas come together for a layout, anyone got any recommendations of books that concentrate on ex GNR lines in the 30s?
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Phil,

Lovely finds there and good luck with the rebuilds!

I've used caustic soda in the past for stripping models (one of the ingredients in most oven cleaners) - a bottle of crystals can be picked up cheaply in most DIY shops. As the name suggests it is very caustic so please use appropriate protection and exercise extreme caution (as with any of the products mentioned so far!) should you decide to use this - it was used to clean locomotive parts during overhauls!

Some books I've found useful in the past are:
- Great Northern Railway Sheds (Vol: 1, 2 & 3)
- Middleton Press's 'Eastern Main Line' series

Neither specifically focus on the 1930's period but I've found them to be an interesting source of information.
Steve
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Well things have been a bit busy for all sorts of reasons you guys are probably not interested in for the last 6 months - but I have finally over the last weeks got down to some LNERing...

I am continuing to build a rake of Gresley coaches by detailing up Ian Kirk kits but also have made progress on the J6.
Cheap B&Q own brand paint stripper made short work of the glue that was holding it together and most of the paint.
It has now been soldered and I am spending a lot of time priming, filling and sanding. Making a model that has been built by someone before seems harder to me as you have to contend with where they have attacked it with a file. In this case they have flattened the top of the boiler in what I assume was an attempt to hide join lines. - This is proving hard to correct but its getting there.
New Romford Tender wheels make a big difference as well.
Attachments
2012-12-26 22.41.11.jpg
2013-05-29 16.05.56.jpg
2013-06-09 14.17.13.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looks excellent, what more can I say :lol:

manna
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

That really looks good!
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Oh dear...
Difficult day at work thought I would spend 5 minutes working on the J6 to fix a step that had a bit missing. Two hours later have spent the entire time breaking bits off and then having to fix them. The highlight of the evening was throwing a bottle of flux into my own face then spending quite a while pouring water into my eyes to wash it out.
Sometimes its better to leave things until your not so tired!
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

All ready for the dreaded varnishing...
Am pleased with how it runs and all for about £40 all in. Bought a neo magnet in the end for the 5 pole x04. Seems to make a positive difference.
Attachments
2013-07-14 21.22.31.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Oh, doesn't that look nice, sigh :roll: :wink:

manna
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

Does anyone on here recognise which magazine the track plan shown here http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/in ... opic=23035 was in? I am think of Welwyn North as the basis for a layout myself...
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

More trouble with varnishing!
This time the satin varnish from the Humbrol rattle can has give a beautiful finish - but really glossy! Not what I would call satin at all...
I really don't want to strip down as I am really pleased with it apart from this. I have read talcum powder can be used to take the glossyness down - anyone tried this or any other ideas?