Building an Ace Products 4mm kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Building an Ace Products 4mm kit

Post by notascoobie »

john coffin wrote:Well, Vernon, would love too, but How big a whole in the boiler do you want for 00????????

Stirling singles of all types have boilers which are about 16mm wide over centreline, which means for 00 you need to cut the boiler,which also means the splashers will look weird. Not so bad for EM and P4, and I have done much of the original design work for the 8 footer, so how many of you would buy such a kit :? or would you like a 2-2-2 :lol:

Another interesting one is sorting a large Atlantic, but for me the real problem is the same as that for the 0-8-0 long tom,
the washout plugs on the corners of the fireboxes. The small Atlantic is much easier, but then I only do etched stuff :roll:
Paul
Hi Paul,

I wouldn't suffer too much as I build in EM. It's the final series I'd like, the ones that went on in Lincolnshire up until WW1. As for a 2-2-2 oh yes.

Stelfox Models did the final version in an etched kit. Sadly it disappeared with Stelfox. I did see one on Ebay once but the price it went for was beyond what I was prepared to pay.

The guy that has the Millholme range has reintroduced the old Millholme Stirling Single kit. I'm not sure what it's like but if it's like the Mucky Duck........

Ever optimistic.

Regards,

Vernon
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Hi Vernon, interesting requirements.

I am lucky enough to have a ga for both types, specifically the 1003-1008 series, so I'll have to do the tender too :twisted:
interestingly, so far I have not been able to find a ga of the original version of No1, However, I do have that for the rebuilt version which means more than one other 8 footer can be built. As you may know they were built in batches with differences between each batch, but the 1880 engines are mainly similar.

Will keep you updated as to my plans.

Paul
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. I've got GAs for the 7'6" singles with a view to a future scratch build. However, at the moment, I'm building more in 7mm than 4mm.

So, depending on timings I might be more interested in a 7mm scale 8' Single. I already have a set of cast iron drivers. The choice there seems to be between the Swanage models single (supplied with wrong tender in "as preserved" condition) or the Ace Kits one. Have I got us back to nearly the right place for the thread title?

Regards,

Vernon
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Vernon,
Don't fall for all the clap trap about the tender originally preserved with No 1, it is a Stirling tender, and not a Sturrock one. Whilst I know that Kenneth Leech and Malcolm Crawley thought it was a Sturrock but most recent research says that is not true.

What is more important though is there is no really "standard" Stirling tender for the 8 footers, particularly the early ones. Sadly as we know there is little photographic detail available pre about 1890, so although the GNRS has lots of photos of the singles, and that shows some surprising combinations, we do not know about the early pairings.

Paul
Jol Wilkinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jol Wilkinson »

john coffin wrote:whilst we do not do a J1 yet, you could also try some of the London Road Models GNR locos, some designed by Malcolm Crawley, including the J6, J3 and 3 tenders, plus some designed by me, N1, Square tank C12, D2 and D4, plus a Stirling inside spring tender suitable for many other locos.

Paul
Paul,

any progress on the little GNR G1 0-4-4T.

A test etch build for the body appeared years ago on the London Road Models stand, but despite several test etches it is still not available.

Jol
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Paul,

There is another vote here for the GNR G1 0.4.4 Tank and of course a GNR single driver. Wallet at the ready.

SteveT
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

that'll teach me to put some ideas forward :roll:

The G1 is still a problem since I need a new test builder, and finding one has taken time, not least cause I have had a few interesting health issues. It was tested by Malcolm many years ago, and was almost right, then after his death, someone else had a go, and he then had heart problems, so was not easily able to give the me the right data

Most of it is ok, just a few details needing sorting. so maybe for the new year.

In the meantime, autumn will bring out the D3 kit including the ability to create the Directors loco 62000, as well as with the Stainmore cabs.

I have also created a Kirtley 700 which will have the choice of two Kirtley tenders and that should be around at a similar time.

Mind you how many of you are brave enough to solder one together :lol:

So for the G1, soon I promise.

Paul
ecgtheow
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by ecgtheow »

Paul,

When you write "we" which firm are you writing about. I too would very much like a GNR/LNER G1 0-4-4T, but I don't know which firm's website to go to.

ecgtheow
muddleandgonowhererailway
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote:London Road Models
erm, is it finger trouble because I can't see a G1? Or is it a complete lack of understanding of where the thread's at?

I'd like a nice single and a G1.

Rgds,

Vernon

aka "confused of Doncaster."
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Vernon, it is not there yet.

However, if the thunder does not wash us all away over night, I will take a couple of pictures of the first
test build for posting.

Of all those who claim to want a single, do they want No 1 as it is now, or a kit that would build more
of the earlier ones,? I have the drawings for the later ones too.

Or do you really want a 2-2-2 :lol:

Paul
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Aha, all is clear. I must try harder to keep up.

Good news about the G1 Paul. That's one I'll be wanting to build.

As to the singles. I'm hopeful that I will shortly aquire a kit for an 8ft single. If so I'll be building that asap before thinking about a 7ft6 one. The flat footplate means it shouldn't be too hard a scratchbuild. I know I can source a tender from LRM. I guess I'll just finish making my own when you announce that a kit for one is being released!

Regards,

Vernon
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Well Vernon,
breaking some of our rules by giving people too early a taste of impending locos
I hope I have added a couple of pics of the G1 test etch

Please note the boiler is not attached so may in the front view be a little droopy (know how it feels)

I do not have a chassis to hand at this time, but not too much to finish off on the body.
Except the buffer beams front and rear.

Once this sun goes down, will see how quickly we can sort it.

Paul
Attachments
front view test 2 19072014.jpg
rear side view test 19072014.jpg
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

john coffin wrote:Well Vernon,
breaking some of our rules by giving people too early a taste of impending locos
I hope I have added a couple of pics of the G1 test etch

Please note the boiler is not attached so may in the front view be a little droopy (know how it feels)

I do not have a chassis to hand at this time, but not too much to finish off on the body.
Except the buffer beams front and rear.

Once this sun goes down, will see how quickly we can sort it.

Paul
Looking good Paul. Thanks for the info.

I should see John Redrup at EXPO EM North in September so I'll see if there's any sign!

Rgds,

Vernon
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

jwealleans wrote: Wed May 07, 2014 5:46 am I think it's fair to say that they come from a mixed set of origins and their quality can reflect that. Graeme King on here had no problem with their O2 chassis as the basis for his P1 build; I have a friend who built their C1 as a commission for a client and found it very hard going. 7mm modellers tell a similar story. Probably not for the beginner.

Edit - having looked at their website, there's no mention of scale anywhere. How do you tell if a kit is 4mm, 7mm or both?
Holy thread resurrection, but looks like the Ace kits website has gone down the tubes again and has been partly restored, but without any mention of the 4mm scale kits.