Thompson Revival

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Excellent Jonathan. I'll take it you decided to tackle the window detail in the oval toilet windows after all :wink:. And as you say it look excellent considering what it looked like before.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Now I've finished one of these, of course I need to make up a rake, so here is one of the Bachmann body shells Hattons are selling off. I also bought a pair of Bachmann bogies (advertised as 'Thompson' but they are in fact Gresley) to go under it.

It makes an interesting comparison to the Triang one - the body sides are deeper, deeper even than the Isinglass drawing, and the curve of the roof is therefore shallower to give the same overall height. That and the fact it's shorter (the composite is only 59' as opposed to the normal 63' of this stock) makes it look slightly distorted. It may also be that the Triang one is slightly low and this accentuates the effect. They don't look horribly different when side by side - I'll post a picture when it's a bit more advanced.
Last edited by jwealleans on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

nice job, looks like a proper modern kitbuild. I always thought these were handsome vehicles. To touch on the panelling issue, these cars first appeared panelled cos unlike the 'teak' effect of the Hornby and Bachman versions, the woograin was painted on in 'panels' i.e vertical grain between the windows and horizontal along the lower panels. It was a massively complicated paintscheme, must have cost a fortune, hence reverting to brown paint quite quickly. But anyway, ex-works photos show the pattern quite clearly. I suppose 'paint and grain' style technique would work, masking ach area of 'panelling' as you go. also a gloss finish does a lot to help suggest that you are looking at painted steel rather than real wood.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thought I'd bring this up to date as we frantically prepare for their first outing at the Hull show this weekend.

This is the composite as at the beginning of October:

.. and here it is at the weekend.

I've added the interior, glazed it, lettered it and it's ready for weathering (which has now been started).

This is the part rake which will be on show at Hull. There are two more in the pipeline and then I think I'll have exhausted my enthusiasm for these particular vehicles for the moment.

I have also found a method of making up corridor connectors very quickly from art card:

These just fold up, take about 20 minutes to make 3 sets and look good enough when the 4 ft rule is applied. I found the document detailing their manufacture on the net - I don't have it to hand but can search it out if anyone is interested.