Marske

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Marske

Post by Autocar Publicity »

One of the 'Twenty Minuters'?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Take longer than that to sweep him up.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Some pictures from an excellent long weekend at York. The layout behaved itself as it usually does and what comments came my way were complimentary. Thanks to LNER4479 for putting in a lunchtime shift on Saturday, help is always appreciated.

Some new stock at the show: on Saturday we were treated to this Sentinel railcar, scratchbuilt by David Lloyd who is the builder of Guisborough. He spent his winter putting this together in a camper van. It goes every bit as well as it looks.

Martin has built this 298 class tank since the last outing:

He's presently working on a 901.

Both the above are from NER Days kits (formerly Medley Models?)

He's also made this rather splendid Brougham which will eventually travel the layout on an OCT.

We had one or two new wagons - this has been on my thread, as I lettered it, but it's now been loaded.

The NB open and LNWR van are new. The van is a whitemetal kit and weighs almost as much as me.

Peter (who made the wagons) also displayed a pair of NER coaches he's scratchbuilding using largely the David Jenkinson method. The beading was cut out on one of the Silhouette cutters which there has been a deal of talk about in recent times.

They attracted quite a bit of interest, rightly so.

... and the sun shone.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Don't envy the builder of the 901, the class had many differences between locos. What Number has he chosen to model? I do like this layout every time I look I see something that I hadn't noticed before.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm honestly not sure, George, I'll ask him next time I see him.

There were two others on the Gauge O Guild stand on Saturday and Monday and they looked superb.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

jwealleans wrote:Well, he must have been a brave man.

In a very small plane.
This is the information I have, from the excellent 'From Biggles to the Red Baron - an illustrated history of Marske Aerodrome' by John H Watson (who has done a similar book on Redcar Aerodrome, and imminently one on the submarine base at Teesport);
Amongst the stories and legends surrounding flying at Marske one story stands out. In 1983 a local newspaper printed a story about a WWI pilot who died in the 1980s who claimed to have witnessed a pilot attempt to fly under Black Bridge adjacent to RAF Marske in his aircraft.

He gave the name of the pilot as 'Mad Jack'. There was an aircraft called 'Black Jack' that flew into a brick bridge parapet at Marske at the end of WWI so the story may have some truth.

At the end of WWI and the signing of the Armistice several pilots from Marske and Redcar did crazy stunt flying in and around Marske and Redcar to celebrate, including one pilot who flew under the Transporter Bridge in Middlesbrough twice, so there might be some credence to the legend
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Some pictures from an excellent long weekend at York.

Thanks to LNER4479 for putting in a lunchtime shift on Saturday, help is always appreciated.
Pleasure was all mine and I thoroughly enjoyed my all too brief hour. It's a cleverly designed layout and the trackplan allows for plenty to be happening for a fiddle yard-to-terminus format. Hope to have a further opportunity some time in the future. :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Short update to let anyone local to either show know that Marske will be appearing at the Lincoln & District Exhibition, Lincolnshire showground this coming weekend, Feb 27th/28th and then at the London Festival of Railway Modelling, Alexandra Palace on March 19th/20th.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Cleveland MRC Exhibition, Redcar.

Post by jwealleans »

I'll add this to this thread rather than starting a new one as Marske will be there:

Sat 6th August 2016 - Sun 7th August 2016
Redcar and Cleveland College, Corporation Road, Redcar, Cleveland TS10 1EZ

OPENING TIMES: SAT 10am-5pm, SUN 10am-4pm
ADMISSION: Adults £4.50 Concessions £3.50 Children £3.50 Family £12.50
Cleveland Model Railway Club invite you to their annual show in Redcar. This year's Show offers a unique opportunity to view some 16 layouts all of which are based on locations across the Tees and Esk Valleys from Upper Teesdale to the Sea, some new and others not seen for many years in a much larger show. Excellent Trade and Society Support, Free Parking, Good Disabled Access and Refreshments available.

Layouts attending:

Saltburn N
Marske O
Redcar N
Teesteel OO DCC
Thorpe Thewles OO
Middleton-in-Teesdale 00
Sandsend to Prospect Hill (all 110' of it) 00
Northallerton N
Danby P4
Billingham N
Thornaby N (Work in progress)
Goathland 00
Grosmont 00 DCC
Stockton N (Work in progress, includes the overall roof in etched brass)
Picton P4 (work in progress)
Guisborough 00

Thomas 00
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Wot? No GWR branch line terminus :lol:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That was last year, in the 'Overseas and Minority Interests' tent.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote:That was last year, in the 'Overseas and Minority Interests' tent.
No 'Camping' Coaches then :P
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Splendid railway - and so well operated!

(and some other inspiring railways as well!)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, I knew we hadn't had it out for a while, but I didn't realise it was as long ago as 2016....

Marske will be attending the Shildon show on October 7th/8th at Locomotion.

Details here.

Sadly Martin hasn't found any better operators, so it will be the most of the usual crew of myself, Slacker Walby, Martin himself and Robin Coulthard (as Mad Pierre is unavailable).

Free parking and entry, so if you're in the area, pop in and see us.

Adrian is beside himself with excitement.
Adrian_asleep.jpg