Marske

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Marske

Post by jwealleans »

For any readers in Glasgow, I will be helping exhibit Marske by Martin Smith at the O Gauge show in Pollokshaws this weekend. If I may quote from the Gauge O Guild website:

"GlasGOw 2014

GlasGOw 2014 - Thanks to support from the Guild and ALSRM the 14th year of Scotland's major gauge O only event takes place on Saturday 7 June and Sunday 8 June 2014. Opening is from 1000 - 1600 on Saturday and 1100 - 1600 on Sunday.

Pollokshaws Burgh Halls
2026 Pollokshaws Road
GLASGOW
G43 1NE

Admission is £5 for adults; Concessions £4 and children free.

The halls are opposite Pollokshaws West station on the East Kilbride/Barrhead lines or 5-10 minutes walk from Shawlands station on the Cathcart Circle.
Bus services 45/48/57 (First) and 103 (Arriva) pass the door.
By car follow signs for the Pollok Country Park & Burrell Collection from M77 Junction 2 or M8 Junction 22 - the halls are on the opposite side of Pollokshaws road from the park entrance. There is free off-street parking."

More details here.

The layout has appeared in a number of magazines but surprisingly little on here. I have these pictures:

The layout is of Marske-by-Sea, Martin's home town and is gradually moving from a mid-1920s setting to the pregrouping era as more stock and motive power is built.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Marske

Post by 65447 »

Jonathan,

This show (for 7mm only, which includes S7 as well as O) is that bit different but those attending are all like-minded modellers, some of great skill, and the catering was always good. When I lived in the Fort I used to travel down to it for the craic. You might also meet the 'real' Ian Kirk with his bits and kits of parts.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, '47. Ian Kirk is indeed expected to be there and I shall be having a word at some point over the weekend.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Some pictures from a hugely enjoyable weekend - 'O' gauge shows are a very different experience and we always thoroughly enjoy them. And I spend very little money.

First of all, Martin's recently completed petrol-electric railcar.

On Sunday we ran these scratchbuilt low roof NER coaches. These and the D17 (also scratchbuilt) were built by Keith Newby, from whom Martin acquired them.

We also had a few new wagons from Peter Simmerson, a mixture of kit and scratch built.

Finally one or two of the end of the layout for those who don't know it. The conceit is that the line beyond Marske is blocked by a derailment and so services are terminating and reversing just short of where recovery work is in progress.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Cracking models, in particular the D17.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Lovely modelling, especially the low-roof stock and the Q, and the railcar and the GN Colwick wagon and.... everything!
Scratchbuilding NER coaches must be quite difficult - I keep wondering how to get the curved corners to the panelling.

Is Marske going to be exhibited in the NE any time soon?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you on Martin's behalf, David. I think scratchbuilding NER coaches has just got much easier with the advent of these cutters. Peter is working on one at the moment with sides produced by that method.

As far as I know Marske is due out again to Spalding in November and then to Redcar show in 2016. I don't think it has any invitations in the meantime.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Not sure if I've missed a link. Are there cutters available, and are they in a suitable form for 4mm as well?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This is the original RMWeb thread and this is Mike Trice's use of one to scratchbuild an NER 6 wheeler.

I think they have a great deal to offer and are more promising at the moment than 3D printing which hasn't lived up to its initial promise - yet.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Many thanks for the links. Will have to look at this more. As you say, seems much more promising than 3D printing.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Excellent stuff love the hopper on the staiths,I have a picture of almost the same scene on a long closed station, Newham about 15 miles north of Alnmouth on the ECML.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Superb Jonathan,

I really hope that my D17 looks as good when it's built - mine is one of the Steve Barnfield kit's marketed by Gladiator.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bump for this thread - we will be at York in less than two weeks time. You can't really miss us - turn right when you come in and we're the first thing you see through the door to your right.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Excellent! If you're going for a pre-grouping Marske maybe you could include the RAF Pilot based at RAF Marske that supposedly flew under the railway bridge in 1918!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, he must have been a brave man.

In a very small plane.