Wood Green (Alexandra Palace)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Wood Green (Alexandra Palace)

Post by Mickey »

Chocolates & railways a winning combination. :wink:

I notice in the 'Search' section there isn't much referrence to the nearby 'Kyber Pass' virtually opposite the Rowntrees sidings and still there (minus the single line track) in the 1970s.

One of the Welwyn Garden City signalmen at that box during the 1960s & 70s (and until it closed in 1976) Harry Fitzgerald once told me in the early 1970s that he once worked Wood Green Down Line tunnel s/box which stood opposite the Rowntrees sidings as well as working Wood Green no.1 before 'The tunnel box' working both boxes probably during the 1950s.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I will say that was a 'sweet' little job :mrgreen:

PM sent trainspotter1948, you may find them interesting.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
trainspotter1948
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by trainspotter1948 »

I am sure this TOPIC will reap a BOUNTY of ALLSORTS of stars from MARS to the MILKY WAY.
I have bought the Great Northern Sheds Vol1 as suggested.

Oh dear - did I really write that?

Alan
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

... moving quickly on, - - in case it avoids any reader not familiar with the area in those times, getting their thoughts gummed (doh!) up, it was touched on in an earlier post that the rail-served 'Rowntrees' (just east of the main line on the north side of the Down Hertford line) was probably a warehouse (from its moderate size, I agree; or a distribution depot of some sort).
However the Bassett's premises, around 1/4-mile SE of Wood Green station, (and quite possibly, IIRC, from its height and appearance, was a factory), was not rail-served.

In case of interest, the 1974-ish resignalling included facilities for an Up train on either the Up Slow or Up Hertford line, and requiring to detach/attach at Rowntrees, to split its train at either the signal south of Wood Green Tunnel (K474), or the one alongside Bounds Green Depot (K476), as appropriate, draw forward onto the Up Slow clear of the Hert. line junction, setback through the Ground Frame into Rowntrees to work as required, then draw out again, and then be signalled back onto the rest of its train, before continuing south.
There were two regular Up night-time class 6's sometime in the '70s & early '80s (6C62 and 6E65 I think), at least one of which was booked to call at Rowntrees, and was I think booked via Hertford because of that.

Sorry, that lot's a bit too far removed from 'trainspotter's core enquiry I think. :oops:

In mechanical signalling days, Rowntrees was accessed from (only one of?) the two sidings which used to run from below the Down Hertford line flyover/the foot of the flyover's embankment, south to No.2 (Up lines only) signal box, flanked on either side by the Up Slow and the "Up Branch"(a.k.a. "Up Enfield") lines.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

I wonder if these maps may be of use. They are from 1894-96 but are large scale (5feet to one inch) and are a reasonable price at £7.32 ea + £7.20 p&p

http://maps.nls.uk/view/index.cfm?id=101200815

http://maps.nls.uk/view/index.cfm?id=101200839

http://maps.nls.uk/view/index.cfm?id=101200842

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

At Wood Green Up box no.2 on the gantry that had x4 main Stop arms which also carried Wood Green Up box no.4s distant signals the tall right-hand arms read from right to lower left as follows-

1.Up fast line
2.Up slow
*3.(I believe?) Up slow to Up Enfield
*4.(Again i believe?) Up slow to Up Goods

Also the tall lattice post bracket signals with carried x2 stop signal arms again with Wood Green Up box no.4s distant signals did they read as follows-

1.(Higher arm) Up Enfield
2.(Lower arm) Up Enfield to Up Goods

Am i correct with the above assumptions especially with the arms on the main x4 arms gantry i never quite knew exactly what those 2 lower left-hand arms applied to and assumed they applied to the route off the Up slow to Up Enfield and Up slow to Up Goods line?.

That Wood Green Up box no.2 main gantry always looked a bit 'top heavy' to me and it was secured with a fair number of guy-wires i seem to remember.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Signal assumptions all correct Micky. [ May not be of great interest to 'trainspotter' though.]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:Signal assumptions all correct Micky. [ May not be of great interest to 'trainspotter' though.]
Probably not Stevie but the trains were ALWAYS a sencondary feature to me it was ALWAYS all about the signalling & s/boxes end of story. :wink:
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Can somebody remember a link either on here or the dark side to a video of a down Hertford loop going over the flyover?
trainspotter1948
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by trainspotter1948 »

Gentlemen,
Thanks to Seagull for the map link and others for the information. If not needed directly at the moment, the responses are still of great interest and if by any chance the layout sees the light of day at a small exhibition somewhere, I can demonstrate my signalling and shunting movements with authority.
gordons19
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by gordons19 »

As a kid, I grew up in Palmers Green and all my spotting days were spent at either Platform 10 at KX or the Hertford loop side of Wood Green. Sixty years later I’m in the process of building my own model railway and deep down my sub conscious must have Wood Green ticking away as I now realise my station plan is not so far removed from the place where I spent all those years awaiting Gresley’s finest thundering down from Hornsey.

I can recall a lot of things and have trawled the web for pics of both station buildings, the two over bridges and the main road bridge. Although I’ve found a dozen or so pics they don’t cover enough detail.

One thing is not clear in my memory and that is the passenger platform access. I can’t recall or confirm if the stair access went down in both directions. I know it went down towards KX, but wondered if anyone has a pic or could confirm the access also went down in the New Southgate direction.

Hopefully I will be able to incorporate the main road bridge, plus both station buildings, the access bridge and the public footbridge.

Grateful for any help you can offer.

Any idea where I could get drawings of all the buildings? The local council planning office?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I don't have any plans for Wood Green, but I do have a couple of pictures that I took in Oct 1970.

I'm 99% sure, that the overbridge that serviced the platforms had stairways that went both ways down to the platform, not only was it a busy inter change, but also serviced the racecourse in the grounds of Alexandria Palace, can you imagine the chaos if there was only one staircase off of a platform. Sorry the pictures only average quality, I only had a 127 Instamatic at the time.

manna
Attachments
Wood Green 24.jpg
Wood Green 25.jpg
Wood Green 26.jpg
Wood Green23.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
gordons19
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by gordons19 »

Many thanks for the input and pics, Manna. Like you, I’m almost certain they went down both sides, but every pic I’ve seen only shows the KX direction. At the end of the day, I’m not building a totally scale model as I don’t have the space, but would like to build a representative station based on the place I spent some wonderful times.

Looking at the old map I have, there appears to be tram lines running up from Wood Green town centre, which then loop around the station and carry on up the hill to Alaxandra Palace. That could be interesting to research.

That didn’t take long.....

https://www.tramwayinfo.com/Tramframe.h ... ostc48.htm
gordons19
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by gordons19 »

Success! Suddenly recalled there was a lot of work done on old OS maps and found this Of course it pre dates the 50's, but confirms our thoughts. Interestingly, the double access was only to the outer platforms and the centre one only had access from the New Southgate end.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... rs=163&b=1
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Just a quick note to check with you gordons19 : You did see that NLS note that map extract as being of 1893-95, which I tend to agree with having looked at some of the track layout / stations/ signal boxes depicted. Plenty of time for there to have been modifications, however small, during the following 50+ years
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \