James's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: James's workbench b17/5

Post by Jk60113 »

Thank you again gents I will be giving most of those ideas a good try when it arrives. I have also decided that I am going to use a Bachmann B1 chassis as I have one in stock and it's also dcc ready which should make live easier. I know the wheel size is wrong but I am hoping the valencing will hide most of them and in my opinion the bits of the valve gear you see look better than on the recommended chassis and plus it negates the need to build a chassis.
Thanks James
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: James's workbench wagon building

Post by Jk60113 »

Good evening gents
A while ago I acquired a load of kits from various manufacturers included in this was some parkside kits for several 21 ton twin bolster wagons and several for the NER quad bolster also by parkside. I was wondering can anyone recommend improvements that could be made to improve them.
Thanks again James
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: James's workbench

Post by Jk60113 »

Good evening everyone
I have been searching for Alexander models k4 kit but I am finding it hard to find any contact information or even a website for them I now there use to be because I contemplated building one before does anyone have any ideas if they are still available and if so where I can find contact information.
Thanks James
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Contact details are here:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers ... nderModels

His website is long defunct! Telephone is the best bet...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

He will undoubtedly be at Gateshead Show this weekend.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all

The last I heard was that the K4 kit is being improved, as I'm also interested in building one.

The Q5 should also be available soon.

Earlswood nob
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Jk60113 »

Thank you gents I will be attempting to contact him Thursday as I have the day off work.
Thanks James
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: James's workbench GCR L1/L3

Post by Jk60113 »

Good evening gents
I was wondering can anyone help me I am currently building the dean siding kit for the GCR L1/L3 and am having all sorts of problems and unfortunately it would appear Dave slater has retired following the Warley show.
1) I can't seem to get the front pony truck in the correct position the holes in the kit parts are way out.
2) I can't seem to find any indication for holes for the various fitting he seems to mention.
3) the instructions don't seem to make a lot of sense when it comes to looking at thinks in the box.
Any help and useful tips much appreciated as nearly ready the give it up.
Thanks James
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rob Bergin's notes on building one of those feature on this forum, here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1126&p=10739#p10408

See if any of it helps. Regrettably, it looks like all of his images are missing. He hasn't posted for around three years, so he may have deleted them, or he may have suffered a similar fate to me with imageshack.

If you can't solve the problem, bung some decent pictures of what you've got on the forum, no doubt one of us will suggest something useful.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

Hello James,

What chassis are you using for the L1??

I built a scratch chassis for my Dean Sidings L1, which ran well without the pony truck. However, the pony truck is so near to the front driver that I didn't get room to fit a very long pivot, and it was always derailing.

I've since stripped it down and used the motor/gearbox elsewhere.

I am wondering about using a modified Bachmann J39 chassis which would have to be reversed. However, the short pony pivot would still be there.

The other option would be to make the pony truck fixed with no horizontal pivot, merely a small amount of vertical movement.

As Atlantic 3279 says, there must be someone on this forum who can solve your problem

Earlswood nob
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

3/4 years ago 'Mossie' scratchbuilt one on this Forum, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6261 it might help

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Yes I did scratch build one and also made the Dean Sidings model as well.

For the Dean Siding's kit I used the recommended Triang chassis I think, but since the build I have not run either as I have nothing yet to run them on. Which means I can not really give any advice on the pony truck, but as regards where parts go there should be indentations in the resin body to mark where they go. Also have good reference pictures, if possible, of the locomotive you wish to portray which will help with parts location.

Have not built anything for a long time now, must get around to finishing the Q4!. Perhaps this will get me motivated to do more, I am also slowly working on my layout of Potters Bar.

Regards

Mossie
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Jk60113 »

Thank you gents I have made a bit of progress with the purchase of a set a isinglass drawings for the L1/L3 still having chassis problems but hopefully they should be resolved in the next couple of days. I will post some pictures later of the state of progress.
Thanks James
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Jk60113 »

Some pictures of the progress on the L1/L3 sorry about the picture quality the camera had disappeared ao using my phone camer instead.
Thanks for looking James
Attachments
The body so far using the isinglass drawings
The body so far using the isinglass drawings
From a different angle
From a different angle
Jk60113
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Jk60113 »

Been allowed a bit of modelling time the last couple of days so I thought I would update things a little.
1. Hornby 01 came to me as a rather bad runner this has been cured and now runs sweetly I added the lamp and will eventually get round to adding real coal into the tender when I go firing at the local steam railway again.

2. Bachmann J39 was a complete bag of nails but got it running and all for a quick service the detailing pack still needs adding and coal and lamps but that's for over Christmas.

3. A selection of kits I brought as a job lot ages ago mainly parkside and Cambrian models they need paining and letting but waiting for my choice of supplier to get the one I need in.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg