New Bachmann Starter

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

New Bachmann Starter

Post by x568wcn »

Anyone seen the new Bachmann starter model? I have a small board I want to built a little layout on, and this is making me look in to 00 gauge.
It has a DCC socket, which is making me also think of DCC.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php ... height=403 I don't care that it's non too real.
Attachments
DSCF3643-cut.JPG
my board
(57.16 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

My instinctive first response is that the Bachmann starter set is a crude toy which doesn't even attempt to represent a recognisable prototype - even very early Hornby models had better levels of detail. I think that if the 00 gauge/DCC bug does bite you and you develop a more extensive layout and collection, you may regret spending money on the starter set. I'd be more inclined to buy one of the many DCC-ready Bachmann or Hornby locomotives available from eBay and stick a decoder in it myself (it's a simple plug-in operation) - that way, I'd have a proper model whose level of detail and running characteristics are more truly representative of what 00 gauge has to offer. A quick look at eBay a couple of moments ago revealed a new BR green Hornby 08 shunter with 5 hours to go, currently bid to £21 - this model has a high standard of detail and a DCC decoder socket as standard. Its running qualities are likely to be far superior to the Bachmann starter loco, too.

However, that ignores the golden rule with these things: it's your money, your hobby, your layout - it's up to you! If it brings you pleasure, there's no possible debate.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Thanks for that, but I'm an LNER man, and I only have a small space.

I know there's a long way to go, but I have one on Ebay for 10.05 at the moment, and there isn't much in the Small LNEr range.

My other option was to stick with N and make a shed in the Eastern Reigon, in BR era, which could throw up alsorts of visitors!

Mark t
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

x568wcn wrote:Thanks for that, but I'm an LNER man.
So why consider a fictional prototype whose only relationship to the LNER is the lettering on the saddle tank?
x568wcn wrote:I only have a small space.
The 08 is an 0-6-0 too, so I don't really understand the size issue. Still, like I said, it's your call and your call only. :wink:
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

I noticed that quite some time ago, on the Hattons website. I would avoid it, unless you get it for a child or if you're a modeller who just runs trains to run trains, and is not bothered about prototypical locomotives... If you want an 0-6-0 Saddle tank, you can't go wrong with a Hornby J94 sprayed black and renumbered.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

my trains have to be blue or green
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

x568wcn wrote:my trains have to be blue or green
How about a Bachmann J72, then? It's small, has the requisite LNER pedigree, and has been available in several versions of green livery (LNER and the eye-catching BR North Eastern Region styles). There are plenty about - for example, I just counted 5 green J72s on eBay, and I expect you could pick one up for less than £20. The J72 also responds well to DCC decoder fitting, although this isn't a job for the novice (I have one with a Lenz "Gold Mini" DCC decoder and Uninterruptible Signal Processing [USP] module).
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I like it, but didn't win it!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk