Some POW Wagons

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Some POW Wagons

Post by rob »

Here are some of the POW wagons I have been working on. They are a mix of Slaters, Cambrian and Parkside, Powsides transfers but Denaby is model master.

Spot the Bachmann!!
Attachments
IMG_2480.jpg
(340.35 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
IMG_2479.jpg
(350.18 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
IMG_2478.jpg
(346.21 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
IMG_2477.jpg
(362.94 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
IMG_2476.jpg
(346 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Post by 45609 »

Hi Rob,

What a nice collection of PO wagon's you have. In general I like the variety of colour schemes of PO wagons. Just a guess but I'd say the Bachmann wagon is the Atkinson and Prickett 8 plank. Couldn't see a Denaby wagon however.

Cheers...Morgan
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I can't see a Denaby either but I'd have said the Bachmann one is the dark blue Stevenson.

Is that Manger's Salt one of the limited edition kits he was advertising?
rob

Post by rob »

Sorry Gentlemen,here is the Denaby.Correct Jonathan,the Bachmann is the dark blue Stevenson,the light blue is Cambrian/Powsides and is much more accurate in having raised ends and a lighter shade.
Attachments
IMG_2481.jpg
(349.33 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You've made a cracking job of those, now I've had the chance to have a magnified look at them. I only identified the Bachmann from knowing their range slightly; there's no visible difference in quality the photos.

Out of interest, do you letter the sides 'in the flat' then build the vehicle, or build first then letter? I have to acquire some Powsides transfers for some gas tankers I have, so I might have another go at some of these while I'm on.
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks Jonathan,luckily my camera is old and you can obviously only magnify so far! I had a look at Powsides lists last night and I think there are two Mangers Salt wagons,the one here is not Ltd as far as I can see,the Ltd one seems to be a Sugar Salt variant-though limited to 50 I would guess a few available,he makes the transfers to order,the pre-lettered stuff seems to sell slowly enough.
Though he advises painting and lettering the sides first,I don't,reckoning I am more than likely to spill solvent on the completed sides! I find it easier to build the complete wagon first.Recent issues have the backshading in place and seem easier to apply.I have lettered an SEF APOC wagon recently (oddly couldn't find it when photographing )but found it reasonably easy to letter in the round,and no strapping or rivets to make life harder! The worst part of the whole job is picking out the strapping if in black.I was using markers but they bleed through so will have to rethink.Watch when overvarnishing,some stronger varnishes can bubble or lift transfers-spray might be best,perhaps acrylic but I like brushing and use Humbrol,with great care,Again,not recommended by Robert Tivendale!As you can gather I love PO wagons,mixing LNER relevant ones with those that simply take my fancy,and though I had intended to use only kits,the Bachmann wagons have some lovely liveries not available in transfer so I have started to buy some as well,they are a nice product.
Final thought-it always strikes me as very very strange that Hornby and Bachmann churn out PO wagons to an apparently insatiable market but not the locos to haul them-for LNER types there is really only the J39 and K3.I'm lucky that I started to kit build because we will never see appropriate RTR locosin sufficent nos.,though I'm convinced 04's,J12's,15's,27's etc would be commercially viable long term.

Post by 45609 »

Hi Rob

Have you tried using Future Floor varnish (available in the UK as "Klear") for sealing your decals prior to applying a final matt/satin varnish or weathering? I use it on all my models when applying transfers. It is a acrylic based product and can be sprayed but the results with brush application are just as good. The attached link decribes its range of uses far better than I can. It is a bit wordy but stick with it.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I agree with your sentiment about unavailable RTR loco's. In particular I think the O4 would sell in fantastic numbers. There is even one for the Bachmann or Hornby designers to go out and look at. Speaking of preserved locos on the way past I popped into the Gloucester and Warickshire Railway this afternoon and was surprised to see Green Arrow in all her glory. Fantastic, just a pity I didn't have my camera :(

At least it seems that they have discovered what GWR really stands for.....Gresley Was Right.... :lol:

Cheers....Morgan
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

great collection! I love Private Owner Wagons, there's so many beautiful liveries to choose from...
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks Bass,the problem is disciplining myself enough to build all the dull liveries which were in the majority and by-passing the interesting ones-so far,I'm not suceeding!
Thanks for the tip on the " Kleer" Morgan,it is under that name here too but,sods law applying to most of my endeavours, the Powsides need as matt a surface as possible,unlike the conventional waterslide type.I think what I will do is simply try a light coat of matt over the strapping next time and see if it stops any bleed through.