LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

modelpara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

Post by modelpara »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Currently not much movement as I am trying to book the scanning of the coach - for a number of reasons this has not happened, mostly down to me and my work shifts I am afraid.

I will give an update when I can. Thank you for your understanding and support.
These things happen, looking forward to hearing about it and seeing it in the flesh when its eventually built!
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Have just come across this topic and, as have UK visit planned in July, very interested to know if this kit is likely to be available by then (a lot easier to see the actual thing than try and view per the 'ether') and where/who from. And as a bit short of time to delve further what trains (expresses) did this 'Beavertail' Observation coach run behind? I have some idea in my mind they were used on the Silver Jubilee and/or Coronation expresses when the 'Silver' A4s first started (in which case I imagine they would have been in the same livery) but not entirely sure. If not the case, what were other liveries they were finished in, particularly in LNER/Pre Nationalisation days. Pardon my ignorance (again) but I'm sure someone out there will have the answers buzzing around in their heads. Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Graeme Leary wrote:Have just come across this topic and, as have UK visit planned in July, very interested to know if this kit is likely to be available by then (a lot easier to see the actual thing than try and view per the 'ether') and where/who from.
Absolutely no chance I'm afraid - and it'll be available through me, if/when it becomes available. However don't let that put you off Graham - I am happy to post worldwide as per my books.

I am currently trying to tie down the scanning company to a date to scan the vehicle having got all other parties aware of the dates we potentially need to do. There's been a lot of groundwork but - hands in the air - having legal training for my line of work has delayed things about six months.
And as a bit short of time to delve further what trains (expresses) did this 'Beavertail' Observation coach run behind? I have some idea in my mind they were used on the Silver Jubilee and/or Coronation expresses when the 'Silver' A4s first started (in which case I imagine they would have been in the same livery) but not entirely sure. If not the case, what were other liveries they were finished in, particularly in LNER/Pre Nationalisation days. Pardon my ignorance (again) but I'm sure someone out there will have the answers buzzing around in their heads. Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
The coaches went into blood/custard post war and were then rebuilt and put into maroon livery. The one on the GCR remains in the later form and livery, the one the team will be working on will be the earlier LNER one, and we are looking to scan the one being restored.
grob1234
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by grob1234 »

Horsetan wrote:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:....a poor soul who is building a full Mailcoach set. Having already resolved to bin the plastic roofs on the normal coaches and replace with MJT alumium profiles, he now faces the problem of making the observation car match.....
Not this bloke, is it :?:
Let's hope you have the benefit of a following wind.
I suggest a baked bean curry, with sprouts. :lol:
No its not this bloke haha! I had to register to reply... :D

I am still on the lookout for a Kirk/Mail Coach LNER Coronation set if anyone has one going spare?!

I just missed out on a Sydnope Models kit on Ebay.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks SAC Martin - please keep me 'in the loop' regarding prices etc as/when the coach becomes available. If you wish to contact me direct my email address is graeme.leary@xtra.co.nz.
Many thanks.
Graeme
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by The Green Engine »

grob1234 wrote:
Horsetan wrote:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:....a poor soul who is building a full Mailcoach set. Having already resolved to bin the plastic roofs on the normal coaches and replace with MJT alumium profiles, he now faces the problem of making the observation car match.....
Not this bloke, is it :?:
Let's hope you have the benefit of a following wind.
I suggest a baked bean curry, with sprouts. :lol:
No its not this bloke haha! I had to register to reply... :D

I am still on the lookout for a Kirk/Mail Coach LNER Coronation set if anyone has one going spare?!

I just missed out on a Sydnope Models kit on Ebay.

You have a PM
grob1234
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by grob1234 »

Matt, I have received your message, but don't seem to be able to reply?!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Privileges are restricted for new members in order to reduce spam. For example, I just had to approve your message above.

IIRC the message sending gets switched on at 5 posts.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
grob1234
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by grob1234 »

Ah OK thanks Richard, hopefully this post will unlock my privileges.

Cheers,
Tom
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Any update on this? Is it going ahead?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

MikeTrice wrote:Any update on this? Is it going ahead?
Hi Mike,

I released a blog on this late last year, my apologies for not updating. No, this isn't going ahead. I put a lot of groundwork in but wasn't able to get access to the beavertail in the end. I didn't want to particularly press my luck and on that note reluctantly have put it to one side.

If anyone would like copies of my research - including early drawings, photographs, etc, for their own projects - drop me a line on the BRWS email address via britishrailwaystories.com

It is a real shame as the designer who would have been making our prototype is extremely talented - Andrew Lyth - and his Ivatt N1 models are a thing of beauty.

I feel I understand better the R&D process and model development better and for that reason alone it was worth it to be better informed on these matters.

My apologies everyone for not updating here sooner.

Best wishes

Simon
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Did u ever have another look into this project?
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Goodness, four years ago! Was it really all that long ago?

No, the project did not get to a prototype stage. I decided to pass on my research to other entities.

I am told the beavertail in Coronation livery is in its later stages of restoration and am sure they will release photographs to the public as and when they deem fit.

There is some irony to this as over this lock down I have been building the mailcoach version of the kit - I must have one of the last produced ones, complete with "beaver tale" moniker on the label, purchased in 2008 as one of a pair of beavertail kits. The other one is with a friend being built to a different spec.

I am using a selection of old, battered mailcoach coronation kits I bought at auction cheaply around a decade ago to make copies for my own small project for an online event - the "Twitter Steam Rally 2020" - in which my live steam Mallard, GA Dynamometer Car and these kitbash coaches will recreate the 126mph as best we can!
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

I'd like to see you pics of the build then, I have somewhere a half built one that I was gifted from a friend Peter M and 2 part built twins, but not sure where they are!!

Now my son is nearly 6 and daughter 3 next week, I'm hoping I can get back to some modelling

Layout will have to wait until I can do some work on it's new home, but I have found space for a small workbench
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired