LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I write to alert LNER and BR Eastern region modellers and others interested in the Coronation streamlined train to the development of a new kit for the Beavertail observation coach.

The intention of its designers is to produce an injection moulded, plastic kit presented as a simple knock down kit in a style not dissimilar to Dapol's non-corridor Staniers but with detail akin to that of the latest Hornby Railroad Mk1 coaches.

I can't give many details on the project because the designers would prefer some anonymity whilst designing the kit, however I can give a few details as to what is envisaged:

1) Moulded detail of a high standard to simplify production
2) Careful design to enable easy snap together construction
3) Metal wheel sets
4) NEM pockets at front and rear
5) Both the original LNER beavertail to be produced, and the BR condition one later on reusing as many parts as possible in its design
6) Simple livery application to keep costs down and aid modellers looking to convert/re-livery

The model is being designed by an up and coming designer and is being commissioned by an individual. There is therefore no guarantee that this will appear for the general public for a good while and therefore no requirement to sign up, pay deposits, etc, on that basis.

However I have it on good authority that costs to convert the CADwork and produce tooling for injection moulding have been examined and they are favourable for the individual commissioning the kit to pay for this provided the design of the model is up to scratch. This I am in no doubt of personally given the track record of the designer chosen for this project.

Should the Observation coach do well there is the possibility of the other coaches in the set appearing to the same specification to match.

The purpose of this thread is to invite discussion about the potential for the model, and to make a small plea for any information you may think is of interest or important to the development of the model. I know that the team designing the kit are examining Gresley bogie types in particular to make sure they have the right type and look on the model.

If there are any photographs the designers should be looking at, some assistance in locating these and examining them would be appreciated.

Particularly the original style observation coach, as although the team have access to general drawings and some photographs of the existing pair, period photographs are harder to come by and would aid enormously in getting the details right first time.

I can't promise to answer every question but I'm happy to field them as their contact on this forum and elsewhere. I know that they would be happy to release CAD drawings for modellers to examine on here for further investigation and critique.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in developmen

Post by Mercator II »

Damn fine news

I would be very interested, two in as built form (one in coronation livery & one in blood and custard)

Will be keeping an eye open on this project

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Is the design person/team taking the opportunity to visit the restoration project - should be as much historical information gathered there as anywhere?

If they already are, then I only mention it because SAC didn't...
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

65447 wrote:Is the design person/team taking the opportunity to visit the restoration project - should be as much historical information gathered there as anywhere?

If they already are, then I only mention it because SAC didn't...
I will check and see - of course it would be of great help to visit the restoration project. They are working from the original drawings used in the manufacturing of the two beavertails in addition to other sources.

I sense I may end up taking a trip further north on their behalf at some point...! :lol:
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

They can have a look at my setting out boards if they like. The whole end drawn out full size on 4 @ 10' x 4' sheets of plywood. The one and only drawing of the body contradicts reality with regard to the cant rails being curved in two planes at once. I tested out this by building a workshop model of the streamlined end at quarter full size and comparing to the works photos. As I suspected the model only looked right with the cant rails curved in only one plane.

Regards

Sawdust.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

sawdust wrote:They can have a look at my setting out boards if they like. The whole end drawn out full size on 4 @ 10' x 4' sheets of plywood. The one and only drawing of the body contradicts reality with regard to the cant rails being curved in two planes at once. I tested out this by building a workshop model of the streamlined end at quarter full size and comparing to the works photos. As I suspected the model only looked right with the cant rails curved in only one plane.

Regards

Sawdust.
PM sent :)
AdamOrmorod4468
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

Post by AdamOrmorod4468 »

Any progress? All seems to have gone quiet regarding this exciting kit.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Not too quiet as it happens but I will have updates I hope when all's in place behind the scenes. The biggest issue has been time and jury service!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Simple short cut. Guilty! Straight to the gallows outside the court to avoid any wasteful appeals clogging up the legal system and insulting public perceptions of proper punishment.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Simple short cut. Guilty! Straight to the gallows outside the court to avoid any wasteful appeals clogging up the legal system and insulting public perceptions of proper punishment.......
It was only a parking offence... :shock:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

All in the public domain of course now that the trial's over, but it was a very thought provoking case and one which will stay with me for many years to come. Did give me more confidence in our trial by jury system and our judges.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Only just seen this thread: I would be very interested: Eagerly awaiting further developments! Any details as to approximate price as of yet? University budgets do not stretch very far, especially when decoders seem to be packing up faster than I can buy them :? :roll:
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

No details until certain things can be firmly stuck down in terms of organising. Too far away from the manufacturing process at this stage to give any indication, my apologies.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Not a problem! I await further developments eagerly :D
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Interesting. Might consider one, given that Coopercraft (owners of Mailcoach) are unlikely to improve their own notorious reputation.