LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: LNER Beavertail Observation Coach: New kit in development

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Probably a good time to say that I am still working on this - a job change and some other bits and bobs aside, I hope to have booked in the 3D scanning for late March/April.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

SAC Martin,

You indicated in your last post that this coach was to be 3D scanned, is this correct as I understand that the original style Beaver Tail coach is some way of from being complete and suitable for scanning.

Unless you mean you are having a 3D print made of the coach, from CAD Designs?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hi Wolf,

The idea is to scan the coach - for which the basic shape of the end curvature is complete - to create the majority of the 3D CAD model. It's the curves of the complex shape at the rear end that are the most difficult to recreate, and we want to get them right.

Simon
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Hi Wolf,

The idea is to scan the coach - for which the basic shape of the end curvature is complete - to create the majority of the 3D CAD model. It's the curves of the complex shape at the rear end that are the most difficult to recreate, and we want to get them right.

Simon
Imagine how it's felt having to recreate those shapes out of thin air!

Sawdust.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've seen a few photographs privately - the craftmanship is absolutely exquisite.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you succeed Simon I think the result will be well received. I was talking at the weekend to a poor soul who is building a full Mailcoach set. Having already resolved to bin the plastic roofs on the normal coaches and replace with MJT alumium profiles, he now faces the problem of making the observation car match. We discussed ways of shaping the tail end of the roof, but that still doesn't solve the problem of the shapes of the windows and the lower part of the beaver tail itself.

Let's hope you have the benefit of a following wind.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:I've seen a few photographs privately - the craftmanship is absolutely exquisite.
Thank you.

Sawdust.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:....a poor soul who is building a full Mailcoach set. Having already resolved to bin the plastic roofs on the normal coaches and replace with MJT alumium profiles, he now faces the problem of making the observation car match.....
Not this bloke, is it :?:
Let's hope you have the benefit of a following wind.
I suggest a baked bean curry, with sprouts. :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Plenty of raisins and yeasty real ale might help too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
modelpara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by modelpara »

Just catching up on this having been redirected here from another forum.

Is there any timescale for the 3D scan?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

modelpara: The first five posts from new users have to be approved by moderators to avoid spam. I was busy yesterday (and generally will be over the next couple of weeks). I did appoint some other moderators - I guess they missed your post.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
modelpara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by modelpara »

Ah makes sense thanks Richard, I thought I was going loopy!

I didnt get a message the first time that it had to be approved but did for the second one, that said could well have been me not paying attention!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Sorry. I meant to approve your first post yesterday, but got distracted......

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Sorry for apparently missing your post to approve, ive just been quickly looking in of late due to work commitments. This weekend off for the first time this year will see me get some work done and a chance to look deeper in the topics..
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Currently not much movement as I am trying to book the scanning of the coach - for a number of reasons this has not happened, mostly down to me and my work shifts I am afraid.

I will give an update when I can. Thank you for your understanding and support.