Modelling a Snowplough

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Modelling a Snowplough

Post by Bryan »

I have never built a model of any form other than old Airfix kits.
I want to build a model of a NER Snowplough.
What is the best way to proceed?
I have copies of the general arrangement of the plough type I wish to build (I also own a full size NER snowplough) so details should be available.
Is there any publication that may help with techniques?
What material would give the best results?
What gauge would be easiest? OO would fit with the rest of my collection but I am flexible
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Bryan,

Does yours look like this?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DG

I do not know of any kits for a NER snowplough currently available. Someone else may know of one. My old D&S catalogue does not list one, not that therir range is currently available.

There is a 4 mm kit for a modern snowplough similar in appearance to your NER one. This is supplied by Genesis Kits of Waveney Cottage, Willingham Road, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire LN8 3DN. Tel 01673 843236. It is described as a BR Snowplough Kit, Eastleight 1964 built ADS70210/11/24/25/26/27/28/29.

There is also a modern one supplied by Hurst Models: http://www.hurstmodels.com/4/hm_4mm.htm

There is a kit by Britannia Pacific models offered on ebay that looks vey easy to build: Item number: 280149665139

To build one yourself as an inexperienced modeller, I suggest that you should build the body out of PlastiKard. The plough would be very difficult to form from PlastiKard however. You could try carving and sanding a lump of wood. For the chassis, you buy the various components and build it up yourself, or you could adapt a proprietry loco tender chassis. It depends on how accurate you want to be.

Colombo
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Thanks for the info.
Mine is actually very similar to the NRM plough at Shildon.
The later versions are all Steel. Mine was one of the last to be all timber.
And that means the entire frame as well, and guess which bits I have to replace in the near future. Only trouble being it will mean a full strip down as far as I can see.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
Have you any pictures? Where do you keep it?

Mick
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

From a previous reply
Three NER ploughs survive at present.
No 12 at the NRM Shildon.
No 18 at the NYMR
No 20 at Beamish in the reserve store not normally on view.

18 + 20 are to the same design and were frequently paired together normally in the Darlington / Shildon area.
Withdrawn from Gateshead in 1975 No 18 was then sold and delivered by rail to Grosmont. Now at Pickering awaiting restoration.
18 is the timber plough actually filmed in the BTF film
" Snow Drift at Bleath Gill" Film is on UTube searchable under snowdrift.
the other plough was an unidentified steel bodied version.
The rescued engine 78018 is at Darlington undergoing restoration
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

i have no idea how i remember this, but a detailed article on NER snowploughs was in a mid 90's BritishRailwayModeller mag. I am divorced from my sources, but if i get to them soonish i'll try and dig it out for you. It was in the same issue as the famous snow-covered 4mm scale NER railway layout that i forget the name of!!

as a quick not on techniques, i would build the plough face exactly the same as the original. using a central 'prow' beam and several formers behind, which you can then cover in several strips of plastic strip. This will conform to the curve better than a single sheet of card/plastic. and much easier than carving from solid a perfect symmetrical compound curve! If you lightly sand the edges of the plastic strip before you butt them together there will be a noticeable 'dip' between them which will help define the planks as per the prototype.

If i forget about that article, please email me a reminder sometime before xmas. My back issues are stored in another county unfortunately.

Will
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Thanks for that.
I don't know which will be easier, Restoring the full size version or doing the model.